Accidentally put OIL in GASTANK.. need help asap! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Accidentally put OIL in GASTANK.. need help asap!

cathiienguyen

Hey there, my CBR 125r gas tank was filled up to 50% so I decided it would be a good time to put in fuel stabilizer in to winterize my bike. There's a jerry can inside my garage in which we keep premium gas so I decided to fill my gas tank with that. I put the nozzle in and emptied out half of the jerry can inside my gas tank.

Since it was unlabeled, I realized that I had actually filled the gas tank with CHAIN OIL!!!! So now there is 50% gas, fuel stabilizer, and about 30% of chain oil inside my gas tank.

The bike was warm when this happened since I had just ridden it prior. I haven't turned the bike on, and rolled it into my garage for the night until tomorrow, when I could hopefully find some solutions.

Can anybody help me as I really don't know what to do at this point, I'm so mad at myself!!!!

Since you didn't run it, turn off the petcock. If you can, disconnect the fuel line to the carb asap. Remove the tank and pour out fluid. Flush out with varsol. Let it dry inside then flush with gasoline a couple of times. Should be okay after that.

Hey there, my CBR 125r gas tank was filled up to 50% so I decided it would be a good time to put in fuel stabilizer in to winterize my bike. There's a jerry can inside my garage in which we keep premium gas so I decided to fill my gas tank with that. I put the nozzle in and emptied out half of the jerry can inside my gas tank.

Since it was unlabeled, I realized that I had actually filled the gas tank with CHAIN OIL!!!! So now there is 50% gas, fuel stabilizer, and about 30% of chain oil inside my gas tank.

The bike was warm when this happened since I had just ridden it prior. I haven't turned the bike on, and rolled it into my garage for the night until tomorrow, when I could hopefully find some solutions.

Can anybody help me as I really don't know what to do at this point, I'm so mad at myself!!!!

Just drain the gas tank and refill. Since the bike was not running i doubt it caused any damage.

Since you didn't run it, turn off the petcock. If you can, disconnect the fuel line to the carb asap. Remove the tank and pour out fluid. Flush out with varsol. Let it dry inside then flush with gasoline a couple of times. Should be okay after that.

Definitely will try that tomorrow. Hope I didn't cause any expensive damage, thank you

Some may have leaked through to the carbs or fuel filter if the petcock was open (not very familiar with the CBR125 setup, so I dunno the exact risk here). It's worth double checking, but I don't think that'll be a huge issue. Worst case, you can replace the filter or flush the carbs the same as you did the tank, but my guess is you probably won't need to.

i wouldn't even bother to drain it, i would fill it up with gas and run it. its oil probably do it good to lube the valves

Your first mistake is winterizing your bike when it's 13c tomorrow ;)

BTW, when I saw the word petcock, it got me thinking when you winterize your bike, you could actually empty your carb by running the bike with petcock switch to off position, that way you don't have to take out and dump the remaining fuel in the carbs.

OP: I can't tell you how to do things but the advice you were given recommends you work with some very volatile stuff. Practice personal safety, if I was in your situation I would make sure to wear blue nitrile gloves and a respirator. It'll be fine.

As for premium, I think it is ok to do that for 2 reasons. 1) 91 is ethanol free. My bike takes 87 but I have been using 91 for the last few fill-ups now that it is getting colder simply because of the no ethanol. Months sitting, ethanol will separate. 2) I read that on small displacement engines if they're going wide open throttle hard in the summer, lots of heat, sometimes a slightly delayed detonation can be better as it might do so too soon otherwise. Take this with a grain of salt of course because many factors are at play. I don't believe Japanese bikes are using hoses and components that are ethanol rated however and am suspicious that their ECU programs are tuned well or at all for North American 87 with ethanol.

cbr 125's came non fuel injected?

Just drain the gas tank and refill. Since the bike was not running i doubt it caused any damage.

tho if you really are winterizing it - might as well just leave it as is.
Not gonna hurt anything...drain it out the fuel line in the spring....assuming it's clean oil

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom