accessory lighting above headlight level | GTAMotorcycle.com

accessory lighting above headlight level

Freddy F

Site Supporter
Hi, Does anyone know if its illegal here to have accessory lights mounted above the level of the headlights? I recently put some small LED strips on my hand guards. At night they are very noticeable. I'm not worried about getting a ticket but I'm curious.

20210413_114243.jpg

Many bikes come with an aux light above the headlight.

If you're concerned about them being too bright at night, you can always use a resistor to dim them a bit until you're happy.
Looks great and clean though, nice job!

I haven't seen anything about position. Afaik, they still have the antiquated no more than four headlights on the books from the sealed beam days. In any case, those points should be in CMVSS which basically is not enforced after manufacture. Yours look more like marker lights than aux headlights, I have no idea how the standards draw that distinction.

If anyone gives you a hard time, those are map lights :) Looks good. Better visibility, doesn't look like people will be blinded, I can't see you getting in trouble for those.

My only concern would be that someone can mistaken you for a car that is far away.

Are they aimed down or straight ahead?
Some of the new LED lights are really bright when shined into someone's eyes.
Might also be better if they were yellow.

Thanks all for the feedback. They are angled downwards at about a 45 degree angle but are very wide-angle so they are still just as bright when viewed from the front. At night they are very bright and I'm going to have gauge with the help of a friend if I need to tone them down a bit. Last thing I wanna do is annoy people but my intent was to increase my visibility. And yes, I may install a resistor which can be bypassed with a small toggle switch for daytime use. Re: people thinking I might be car: I'm not sure if this mod would change anything....when approaching a car that wants to pull out, I do whatever I can to reduce that possibility, by moving around in my lane, aiming my headlights directly at them for a very brief moment, etc,... I was thinking a lot of motorists around here would now think I'm a flying saucer.

Mine are below the headlights and aimed down. Still quite bright. If you get them low enough, and wide enough, you begin to look like a train.
MAEXn5o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom