'96 VFR750 - rad fan motor failure. Help? | GTAMotorcycle.com

'96 VFR750 - rad fan motor failure. Help?

tiwing

hi all, i've got a nice condition '96 VFR750. Rad fan squeals and doesn't spin. I've disconnected for now and am forced to ride where no traffic is expected, and it stays cool.

Local shop says the OE motor is no longer available. Does anyone know if there are other motors that will fit fine, from other generations maybe? Any recommendations for generic motors that would fit?

What about having existing motor rebuilt?

Just looking for my best avenue here.

thanks
tiwing

Used-parts places like Peterborough Cycle Salvage, Woody's Cycle, Zdeno, etc would be where I would look.

If you can't find an exact replacement, take a look at how much space you have behind the radiator to work with, take the whole fan and shroud assembly off the bike, and take that whole assembly to any of the above-mentioned places to see if you can find something close and hopefully which uses the same design of electrical plug (and it's a fair chance that a large number of Honda bikes use the same plug). You will probably have to fabricate some way of securing the fan assembly in place, because it's unlikely that the mountings will line up, but this is not rocket science.

I had the same problem on an early GPZ. I gave up looking for a factory replacement and bought a small auto related cooling fan and shroud and installed a toggle switch to turn it on and off when needed, which was only for short times in city traffic on hot days. Cost me $45 plus an afternoon to install.

i would imagine that there are not too many different manufactures for those. every race bike has them removed, shouldn't be too had to find 20 or so

Down the rabbit hole we go...

Seem these fans were used in a number of motorcycles (Honda/Yamaha/BMW), as well as refrigerator condenser fans. Manufactured by Panasonic (formerly Matsushita) and Mitsuba, under a wide range of model numbers, each with various mounting tabs, all seemingly the same motor.

SSW-8118 / SSW-9806L / SSW-8107 / SSW-9107 / SSW-96137E

Looks like in some cases, the fan motor itself, without the rest of the assembly, went under a few model numbers as well.

SSW-97104LS

Long story short, seems there are many options that a scrap yard (or the internet) may have for you.

Could be a failed bushing or bearing. If the motor was not assembled using a pressed fit, might be serviceable. Hard to tell without seeing it.

... even further down that rabbit hole....
Those stock fans are just in-efficient 12volt fans. You can find cheaper, smaller, more efficient 12 volt fans in a computer power supply or CPU cooler. Many sizes and shapes and colours available at places like Sayal.

I still see The Bike Yard advertising parts on Facebook marketplace; They may have something laying around.

Back
Top Bottom