89 ninja 250 - overfilled oil :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

89 ninja 250 - overfilled oil :(

fusion2k

Stupid mistake I know...

The oil light came on for 10 seconds or so after doing a hard stop at a red light. So I took it home and decided to top up the oil. Started putting some in...more and more...and kept checking the oil level window. Kept adding more and more...till it was about 3/4 high in the window. Then took the bike out for a "spirited" ride for maybe 30mins. Stopped in a parking lot and the bike is leaking oil everywhere! Then I remembered....I DIDNT TIP THE BIKE UP LEVEL BEFORE CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL!! I got the bike home (surprisingly no major differences in engine performance yet), and drained all the oil out and replaced the filter. Refilled it with the correct amount. Everything seemed ok performance wise, it just seems to still be leaking oil from about 4 different places underneath the bike??

Next day I tried to take the bike out. It started, but barely idled even with the choke open. In tried idling it for a bit, but it doesnt like to stay running. Check airbox for oil (none), and checked spark plugs. Spark plugs are worn (will replace) but no evidence of oil.

Questions:

1) Did I fubar the engine? And if not, does that mean that the major oil leaks I'm having are permanent?

2)Why was there no change in engine performance till the next day?

3) What needs to be fixed? I would say I put most of a 2/3 full 4L jug of oil...so I'd say around the 2.5L mark, plus what was already in the bike...it only takes 1.9L

I feel like an idiot...live and learn I guess...

Where is it leaking oil from? Overfilling would probably cause some oil to get pushed out of the crank case vent, especially because you probably put double the recommended amount of oil in it...

It is hard to tell exactly where. The bike is fairly dirty as it is so its tough to pinpoint. I was thinking of giving it a good wash tomorrow and see if its still leaking. One of the areas its leaking is directly below the rear sprocket...maybe the chain was dragging some of the excess oil? If the oil was forced through the crank case vent, should it not have stopped leaking after the oil was changed and refilled with the proper amount?

Unless its leaking from the front sprocket seal and making its way along your chain, OIL is definitely not leaking off your rear sprocket. Its probably something else, like chain lube.

Yes, wash the bike and find out where the oil is coming from.

If it was overfilled enough to blow oil past the crankcase vent and into the airbox,then it should be easy enough to just clean the airbox out.Easy enough to check.

If it was overfilled enough to blow oil past the crankcase vent and into the airbox,then it should be easy enough to just clean the airbox out.Easy enough to check.

its really possible that since its an 89 someone has taken the hose off that connects the crank case to the airbox, so oil might just be venting all down the back of the engine. Thats kind of what im thinking when he says he has oil leaks in 4 different spots.

New spark plugs have alleviated most of the stalling issues. I think part of those issues were part of the tank being low and it was using dirty gas from the bottom of the tank. The oil leaks I'm pretty sure seem to be near the front sprocket area and it was just the chain spreading the oil everywhere. The leak has gotten significantly smaller and I'm hoping will go away, if not a small leak isnt a huge deal. Thanks for the help everyone.

its really possible that since its an 89 someone has taken the hose off that connects the crank case to the airbox, so oil might just be venting all down the back of the engine. Thats kind of what im thinking when he says he has oil leaks in 4 different spots.
Yeah, back in the day if you bought 4 individual K&N air filters, there was a little miniature 5th one required - to go on the breather.
But you've got to be careful with those bikes.
It's so easy to underfill or overfill them, because they run such a small amount of oil.
If you had put much more oil in your 250, you could've encountered hydraulic locks and blown oil seals etc...
But looks like you're okay - consider it a good flushing.

make sure that your crankcase vent tube isnt blocked, and you can feel air plusing from the vent when the engine is running.

Back
Top Bottom