7k km round trip trip south westernish, where would you go? | GTAMotorcycle.com

7k km round trip trip south westernish, where would you go?

regder

Site Supporter
7k km round trip trip south westernish, where would you go? Updated with ride report!

Update: see here for report: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...would-you-go&p=1410637&viewfull=1#post1410637

Potentially have 8 and a bit days off next week and am pondering a trip somewhere south west. I've never really been west of Chicago on a bike, but I've been all over the east coast which got me thinking of doing this trip. I'm ok for 7-1000km a day, so I figure 7k km round trip is about right (I did 7k km last year in 7 days). Not quite sure where to go though so I need some ideas. I'm thinking maybe somewhere towards Denver, even Vegas popped into my mind but that might be too much slab and not enough fun.

Last edited:
Careful with the heat - southwest is brutal - I never understood really what "sun beating down" was all about until Arizona at 105.

I'd do west and UP :D

It was gorgeous in the Pennsylvania mountains...cool at night and just nice during the day.
Back in Toronto it's broiling. :( 1 am and it feels like 90 out.

I would go straight out to california and back. Was just there by car, saw the giant Red Woods which are simply incredible and in my mind the perfect riding area. Nice clean smooth twisty roads surrounded by the biggest trees you will ever see. Its slightly more mileage then your talking, but definitely worth it. Made it out to California in 4 1/2 days. The ride from here to basically Salt Lake City is terrible boring. Once you get near Salt Lake it gets hilly, then your out in the Utah desert and the Salt flats (see "Worlds Fastest Indian). From there its the desert is beautiful, the sights only get better into Nevada and finally entering California is like going to Heaven.

If that is not really what your looking for, you can head west to Colorado, check out the Rockies, ride up Pikes Peak or some of the other mountains. Lots you can do with that kind of km's your talking, explore!!

I rented a car in California a few years back for a week, definitely one of the nicest vacations I've been on. Unfortunately, unless I fly out there and rent a bike, which would be too expensive, it's just not feasable with the timeframe I have.

I tend to have a problem where I try to do too much in one trip and end up rushing myself, so I want to take it a bit easier this time.

Just wondering if anyone has done a similar trip and tips on things to see and stop at along the way.

South Dakota looks pretty cool and I might go south to Colorado from there or something along those lines.

I would go straight out to california and back. Was just there by car, saw the giant Red Woods which are simply incredible and in my mind the perfect riding area. Nice clean smooth twisty roads surrounded by the biggest trees you will ever see. Its slightly more mileage then your talking, but definitely worth it. Made it out to California in 4 1/2 days. The ride from here to basically Salt Lake City is terrible boring. Once you get near Salt Lake it gets hilly, then your out in the Utah desert and the Salt flats (see "Worlds Fastest Indian). From there its the desert is beautiful, the sights only get better into Nevada and finally entering California is like going to Heaven.

If that is not really what your looking for, you can head west to Colorado, check out the Rockies, ride up Pikes Peak or some of the other mountains. Lots you can do with that kind of km's your talking, explore!!

Potentially have 8 and a bit days off next week and am pondering a trip somewhere south west. I've never really been west of Chicago on a bike, but I've been all over the east coast which got me thinking of doing this trip. I'm ok for 7-1000km a day, so I figure 7k km round trip is about right (I did 7k km last year in 7 days). Not quite sure where to go though so I need some ideas. I'm thinking maybe somewhere towards Denver, even Vegas popped into my mind but that might be too much slab and not enough fun.

A buddy and I did an 8 day, 8000+ km blitz out to Utah & Colorado. Was good but the Iowa's / Nebraska's / Ohio's etc. are painfully boring. Bring a well charged ipod or similar.

Any details on your route?

A buddy and I did an 8 day, 8000+ km blitz out to Utah & Colorado. Was good but the Iowa's / Nebraska's / Ohio's etc. are painfully boring. Bring a well charged ipod or similar.

So in my procrastinating way, here is what I've come up with after an hour of googleing. Any suggestions?

Very rough outline of what I'm thinking of, Mexico is there just cause I think it would be cool to bike to Mexico. I haven't looked at specific places or routes to go really, just a few points that seem interesting. Probably slab to Badlands national park and start the real trip from there. Nothing is firm and all advice is appreciated. Looking for cool things to see like Rockies, deserts of New Mexico, thinking of maybe hitting up some bit(s) of Route 66 on the way back. Stops that I'd love to get to but unfortunately I don't think I'll have time for are Yellowstone national park, and Bonneville salt flats

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sour...3.926365&sspn=13.877501,33.815918&ie=UTF8&z=6

Last edited:
I'm considering doing a two week ride to Grand Canyon in October. Nothing firm but ideally Colorado, Million Dollar highway, four corners, Grand Canyon. maybe Vegas, Death Valley and work my way back.
Supperslabbing bores me to tears so I'll avoid it and take secondary roads where possible.

About the only thing I can contribute is that I'm told it's wise to avoid the Chicago aea. On your route you can divert further south through Indianapolis area with no real change in time or mileage.

..Tom

I'm considering doing a two week ride to Grand Canyon in October. Nothing firm but ideally Colorado, Million Dollar highway, four corners, Grand Canyon. maybe Vegas, Death Valley and work my way back.
Supperslabbing bores me to tears so I'll avoid it and take secondary roads where possible.

About the only thing I can contribute is that I'm told it's wise to avoid the Chicago aea. On your route you can divert further south through Indianapolis area with no real change in time or mileage.

..Tom

I was just going to suggest the Grand Canyon, its under 3,500 kms one way. I have never been, but its on my "to bike" list.

Driving anywhere near Chicago is busy, just like any major city would be. I drove through rush hour in Chicago 9 years ago and didn't find it much different then Toronto, from my limited experience.

Thanks guys, starting off day 3 now from Rapid City South Dakota. Slabbed it all the way here to save time, and will go south to Denver for tonight. The weather beat the crap out of me yesterday. All the way from Wisconsin to South Dakota, I was fighting on and off rain and wind gusts probably going up to 100km/h. Best part is, my GPS died 500km outside of Toronto, will try and find a Zumo in Denver.

Is it a Zumo 550 that died on you? Whats wrong with it, just wont turn on? I have been through a few Zumo's and found that if it just dies and wont turn on, what normally fixes it is unscrewing the battery, remove it completely, stick it back in and it then starts up.

Is it a Zumo 550 that died on you? Whats wrong with it, just wont turn on? I have been through a few Zumo's and found that if it just dies and wont turn on, what normally fixes it is unscrewing the battery, remove it completely, stick it back in and it then starts up.

No, Streetpilot 2720, gets stuck at the boot screen when powering on. If I do a hard reset while connected to my laptop it works, as soon as I cycle the power it gets stuck on the boots creen again. Not exactly efficient to pull out my laptop at every gas stop

No, Streetpilot 2720, gets stuck at the boot screen when powering on. If I do a hard reset while connected to my laptop it works, as soon as I cycle the power it gets stuck on the boots creen again. Not exactly efficient to pull out my laptop at every gas stop

Cant help you then. That really does suck though. I have a spare GPS I bring with me, just a simple Garmin Quest 2. Its slow but it has all of N. America on it and is waterproof. I am pretty dependent on my GPS, which is a bad thing in a way, but I find it really freeing as I don't like to plot out routes, I just go to where I want and change as I go depending on how I feel or what catches my eye.

Enjoy the trip! Once you get out of the plains it all gets worth it.

Here's a brief ride report of my trip

This is a fairly accurate route of my trip (http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UT...4743387438309243557.000490579b3e869bcb870&z=6) marked by cities where I spent the nights. Left Sunday Sep 5 and came back the following Sunday. Total trip was exactly 7720km according to the odo, throughout 7 days of riding, and I took a day off in Denver to just walk around. Bottom line was it was way too much mileage in too little time, but still an absolute blast. As my trips often become, it was a race to see as much as I possibly could within a very short time frame, as such taking pictures/rest/food took a distant second to just riding. As it is, I had to scale back some of my trip, wanted to hit the Mexican border but time was too tight. Incredible seeing the geography change so much, from plans to mountains, to desert, and the Rocky Mountains are unbelievable. Loved being able to go from 6k feet elevation in Denver, to double that within a hour and a half. Great weather considering the time of year, only saw real rain the first two days and mostly clear skies after that.

A brief outline of my days:

Day 1: Left Toronto around 8 and hit the road, of course 500km into day 1 at only my second fuel stop, my gps stops working. Good thing the first two days were mostly interstate and easy to navigate by map. Nothing exciting, hit some heavy rain by Milwaukee, with a few showers after that. Took a wrong turn off the interstate at Madison, and ended up in Spring Green through some backroads.

Mile 0, all packed and ready:
IMG_0233.JPG

Day 2: More straight interstate riding, weather started out ok, but got progressively worse. On and off rain, with extremely high crosswinds, worst wind I've ever ridden through. Especially through South Dakota, the wind burst passing a tractor trailer pulled my right foot straight off the peg. Interesting experience for sure. Thankfully I passed the wind system by the end of the day.

Flat, windy, and rainy somewhere in Minnesota:
IMG_0004.JPG

Rain covers on the bike:
IMG_0005.JPG

After riding straight in the rain and wind for forever, this was a surprise:
IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

mess in my hotel room after a long tiring day of riding:
IMG_6617.JPG

Day 3: Equipped with some paper maps, rode south from Rapid City, SD, Nice to finally get off the interstate and actually get in some twisties. Saw Mount Rushmore, and Crazyhorse. For a non-touristy guy, Mount Rushmore is really impressive, unbelievable how sharp the heads are in real life. From there, rode through Custer State Park, saw some buffalo (very cool btw), and hit Buffalo Gap Grasslands. Very cool riding through Southern South Dakota and Wyoming, not a single town or anything for many miles and miles, really have to be careful with your gas around here. Got to Rocky Mountain National park just a bit before it got dark. Unfortunately, by the time I really hit some altitude on the Trail Ridge Rd that runs horizontally across the park, it was pitch black. The sky was hazy, so I didn't even have stars or the moon. Very scary riding through switchbacks at 12k feet not being able to see a damn thing. Sky cleared by the time I got some miles out of the park, and I got the most amazing view of the stars I've ever seen. They were so clear, I swear I saw them moving.

Mountains in the far distance;
IMG_6622.JPG

No explanation needed:
IMG_6626.jpg

Crazyhorse:
IMG_6627.JPG

Pics from the lookout at Mount Coolidge in Custer State Park:
IMG_6628.JPG

IMG_6630.JPG

IMG_6631.JPG

IMG_6632.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG

IMG_6637.JPG

I thought this was a rock at first, but that there's a buffalo!

IMG_0010.JPG

Shot of Buffalo Gap Grasslands:

IMG_6640.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Somewhere in Wyoming:

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Last edited:
Trying to get a pic in no light in Rocky Mountain Natl park:

IMG_6642.JPG

Day 4: Spent a bit of time walking around Denver, but then it started to rain so I retreated to the hotel for some much needed lazyness and relaxation. Was able to get a replacement gps shipped overnight from gpscity for the following morning. That was a headache in itself, as the customer service agent told me everything was in stock to get a Nuvi 550 hooked onto the bike, with me calling to confirm three times. Then she called me back four hours after our initial conversation to say the power cable was out of stock, but by then it was passed the shipping cutoff so I couldn't change my order to a Zumo 660. After an angry e-mail to the company, someone whom I assume is the owner called me back right away, and promised to drop one off for shipping on his way home.

Pic from my hotel room in downtown Denver:

IMG_6644.JPG

Day 5: GPS arrived at the hotel around 10. By the time I hooked it up to the bike, thankfully I setup an aux fuse box under the seat that made this fairly easy and I could reuse my existing Ram handlebar mount, and got packed I was on the road by 11. Amazing day riding through the twisty mountains at high altitude. Million Dollar Highway is easily the scariest road I've ever ridden, many many many hairpins with maybe a foot of room past the end of the lane and then sheer dropoff. Can't wait to do it again. Could have continued past Durango, but it was dark and I was seeing more and more deer and moose on the road so I called it a night.

Somewhere in the mountains above the treeline:

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

Day 6: Started off early and went south and then east. Didn't realize there wasn't a single gas station between Bloomfield and Dulce NM, well there were two that were abandoned. Of course ran out of gas about 30km from Dulce. Spent about an hour in the middle of the desert flagging people down for gas before finding someone that had maybe a litre. That got me exactly 3km from the gas station. Another fourty five minutes of flagging people down and I had enough gas to get me to the gas station. Scared the living hell out of me when after filling up, the bike was sputtering and dieing as if something was blocking the fuel. Thankfully that went away after half a minute of riding and didn't give me any grief since. New Mexico overall was really beautiful, lots of arid land, and then you catch a valley that is marvelously green and full of life. The adobe houses around Sante Fe were something else, I'm still kicking myself I didn't stop and take a few pictures. Past Sante Fe did the Turquoise Trail which was interesting but not as nice as I had been told, and then back to straight interstate. The I40 through New Mexico and Texas is boring as hell. Flat and straight without a single thing to do, I was averaging 150-160km/h and was still falling asleep. I tried to do some detours onto Route 66, but that was a letdown, nothing but touristy crap, and the few old route 66 restaurants were charging an arm and a leg. Ended up just going east as far as my energy would let me. I missed Cadillac Ranch (the cadillac's buried into the desert half way) which I really wanted to see, but didn't realize I missed it until the next day.

Northern New Mexico, just south of the Colorado border:

IMG_6675.JPG

IMG_6676.JPG

Mmmm, rockies!

IMG_6679.JPG

Anyone know what these rock formations are?

IMG_6684.JPG

And then it was nothing but flat and straight

IMG_6688.JPG

IMG_6690.JPG

Day 7: Pretty much just a mission to get home at this point. Stopped off at the Oklahoma City bombing memorial which was very touching and well done, hopefully the 9/11 memorial is done just as well. Tried to see some of Route 66, but once again the things to see were very few and far between. Continued for the most part on the interstate. Rode through St Louis late in the evening and rode for a bit around the downtown, seemed like a really nice lively city, will have to come back soon.

Thought this was cool at one of the touristy Route 66 diners somewhere in southern Illinois, owner owns both the '69 and '10

IMG_6694.JPG

Day 8: Nothing exciting, more straight interstate all the way home. Wanted to stop by downtown Chicago and get a deep dish pizza (mmmm, soooo good), but I had a late start so just booted it straight home.

Last edited:
I love those road trips. Your pictures from the first three days brought me back good memories. I wanted to suggest you to try the Mount Evans Road when you where in Denver, but I realized that it just closed for the season.

Cadillac Ranch did not impress me, it looked like a ghetto, but I'm glad that I stopped there. As somebody said, better to be sorry for things you did than for those you didn't.

After crossing the US from coast to coast, I found that the mileage per day that works for me is 8-900 km. That gives me enough time to stop and look around, but also moves me fast enough to get anywhere in the continental US during a two week vacation.

I love those road trips. Your pictures from the first three days brought me back good memories. I wanted to suggest you to try the Mount Evans Road when you where in Denver, but I realized that it just closed for the season.

Cadillac Ranch did not impress me, it looked like a ghetto, but I'm glad that I stopped there. As somebody said, better to be sorry for things you did than for those you didn't.

After crossing the US from coast to coast, I found that the mileage per day that works for me is 8-900 km. That gives me enough time to stop and look around, but also moves me fast enough to get anywhere in the continental US during a two week vacation.

Didn't know about Mount Evans Rd, looks amazing. Problem with that area is there are so many roads to see, I must have crossed off at least ten places that looked like fun but were not feasible in my time frame.

I 100% agree on the mileage, 8-900km is the perfect sweet spot to actually get somewhere while still smelling the roses. I overdid it a bit on this trip, but have very few regrets. Actually, initially I was thinking of averaging 8-900km, but once I started looking at the map, and kept adding to the things and places I wanted to see, that number went out the window.

Back
Top Bottom