520 Chain on a 07 gixxer 600 | GTAMotorcycle.com

520 Chain on a 07 gixxer 600

Andy n

So I picked up a new front and rear sprocket for my bike. I was told it was better to get a 520 chain. So now I have the thing pretty much ready to go and I went to put the chain on and it doesn't fit into the front or the rear sprocket does this mean I should go with a 525 chain instead?

So I picked up a new front and rear sprocket for my bike. I was told it was better to get a 520 chain. So now I have the thing pretty much ready to go and I went to put the chain on and it doesn't fit into the front or the rear sprocket does this mean I should go with a 525 chain instead?
Did you not buy your sprockets and chain from the same person?? It's best to go 520 conversion all around. Return the sprockets if you can and get new ones. I would recommend a +3 (46) in the rear, or if you want even shorter gearing a -1 (15) in the front and a +2 (45) in the rear.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=1720&p=

I went with a +3 rear (stock front) and the DID ERV3 chain (520 conversion) and it feels like a whole new bike!!!!

-Jamie M.

Thanks. Do you by any chance tq specs for the rear sprocket? I have the FMS for the bike but they are calling for 67.5 ft-lb. I tried that and thank god that I only strip out the nut.

u need the sprocket to be of the same pitch.

Did you not buy your sprockets and chain from the same person?? It's best to go 520 conversion all around. Return the sprockets if you can and get new ones. I would recommend a +3 (46) in the rear, or if you want even shorter gearing a -1 (15) in the front and a +2 (45) in the rear.

I went with a +3 rear (stock front) and the DID ERV3 chain (520 conversion) and it feels like a whole new bike!!!!

-Jamie M.

Your bike is gonna rev much higher than stock while cruising on the highway. Top speed is also decreased

-Jamie M.

What do you mean by shorter gearing?

I had assume -1 (15) in the front and a +2 (45) in the rear would be the exact same as +3 (46) in the rear :confused:

Your bike is gonna rev much higher than stock while cruising on the highway. Top speed is also decreased
Yep. Love the new gearing! Top speed is 282 (gps) bouncing off the rev limiter and DAMN it gets there in a hurry now! Before it was so dead in 6th gear, you could never get to 303 unless you were going downhill with the wind at your back =(

What do you mean by shorter gearing? I had assume -1 (15) in the front and a +2 (45) in the rear would be the exact same as +3 (46) in the rear :confused:
You can check on http://www.gearingcommander.com and see what your bike says. For my bike a -1/+2 was the same as a +4 in the rear. Top speed with a -1/+2 is 268 and top speed with a 0/+3 is 280 =)

When my speedo says 172 i'm doing 140 (gps), and at 140 (gps) it use to say 153 from the factory! Time for a speedo healer =)

-Jamie M.

Last edited:
+ fuel economy!
I haven't noticed a change in fuel economy at all. On my 5th tank now. 220ish (gps) before the fuel light comes on, same as what I was getting before, and if anything I'm pushing it a little harder to play with the new "power" and test the new tires!!

-Jamie M.

did you get a speedoheeler? how much off is your speedo?

nvm just learned to read.

Last edited:
+ fuel economy!

Im at -1/+2 on my R1 and havent noticed any decrease in fuel economy.

On the topic of reduced top speed:
Yes, there is a theoretical decrease, but from a practical perspective, my top speed is probably higher now at the tracks I go to given that I reach my max (265kph actual) ALOT quicker.

Im at -1/+2 on my R1 and havent noticed any decrease in fuel economy.

On the topic of reduced top speed:
Yes, there is a theoretical decrease, but from a practical perspective, my top speed is probably higher now at the tracks I go to given that I reach my max (265kph actual) ALOT quicker.

maybe u never try out your top speed before.
I'm sure an R1 can at least go 290km/h

maybe u never try out your top speed before.
I'm sure an R1 can at least go 290km/h

I am well aware of what my top speed is. With the sprockets I currently have now, I am GEAR limited to 265 kph (redline in 6th), not aerodynamically limited.

Back
Top Bottom