507 not like heaven..... | GTAMotorcycle.com

507 not like heaven.....

busabim

Site Supporter
Greetings,

A couple of days ago I went on the 507 for the first time in years. The road was a big disappointment in many ways. In order to be challenging you

would have to go 2 or three times the speed limit. The road was broken up and rough. That day I also rode 118 all the way into Haliburton.

The road (118) was nicely paved and scenic. However, compared to almost anything in Virginia or West Virginia sadly not even worth doing.

BB

Attachments

• 507 small.jpg
    507 small.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
In order to be challenging you would have to go 2 or three times the speed limit.
So you're saying you would be able to maintain 160-240 km/h through all the turns on the 507? I'm gonna call BS on that...

Appreciate the update, have a cottage booked later this year out that way and was wondering if it was worth the 1.5hour detour for 507/504/620 "morning coffee" with a few other riders. Anything else worthwhile in the Cobourg area? 118 is nearly 2 hours away :/

Be careful with unmarked OPP cars in black Dodge Chargers. I rode up from the 401 up 35/115 they were everywhere.

According to a local shop they do not patrol the 507 directly except by air ( that is what the sign says when you are on the 507).

For riding roads in Ontario I suggest the following

Great ontario bikeroads map

BB

Be careful with unmarked OPP cars in black Dodge Chargers. I rode up from the 401 up 35/115 they were everywhere.

According to a local shop they do not patrol the 507 directly except by air ( that is what the sign says when you are on the 507).

BB

If you follow the Great Ontario bikeroads map.....watch out for the Balaclava penis.

Appreciate the update, have a cottage booked later this year out that way and was wondering if it was worth the 1.5hour detour for 507/504/620 "morning coffee" with a few other riders. Anything else worthwhile in the Cobourg area? 118 is nearly 2 hours away :/
Near cobourg, lakeshore from port hope to newcastle is a nice cruise, not a place to go for it. From havelock, head north on 46 to 44 to 6 to northeys bay road. Slow down for the tracks on 44. They come up on you quick when you pop out of a left hand corner headed north and the last time I was through there, they didn't have gates so you are responsible for spotting and stopping for the train. Near the bottom of 44, when headed north there is a hill where you can get air if you have speed and are so inclined (quite a bit of speed to fly, some speed makes for an effortless power wheelie).

I rode the 507 last month with a friend and we had similar impressions. What happened? I was thinking. This road has lost its lustre. I remember it being much better a few years ago. The road surface conditions were generally mediocre to poor most of the way up to Gooderham with just a few 'sweet' spots where you could lean into a corner at a spirited pace. For the most part bumpy, cracked and uneven, in a complete state of neglect in some spots. I had a couple tanks slappers. Not too impressed.

Last edited:
I ride 507 almost every week as it's basically the only road going north worth riding (from my area anyway). The 507 is just the starting point for a good ride. My friends and I are grateful it's in poor shape because it somewhat deters the TO squids from using it. I know a few locals in the area and they are ****** at motorcycles doing twice the speed limit, they risk there lives to go get a bag of milk or loaf or bread and are tired of the carnage every summer. They claim to be extra vigilant but as soon as they pull out onto the hwy a missile appears out of nowhere at mach 1.
Anyway, the 507 is still the best way (for some of us) to start our ride.
Happy Apexes.

However, compared to almost anything in Virginia or West Virginia sadly not even worth doing.

Trying to compare just about any road in the province of Ontario with the Virginias (or heck, even Pennsylvania) is a apples and oranges scenario of the biggest scale.

I ride 507 almost every week as it's basically the only road going north worth riding (from my area anyway). The 507 is just the starting point for a good ride. My friends and I are grateful it's in poor shape because it somewhat deters the TO squids from using it. I know a few locals in the area and they are ****** at motorcycles doing twice the speed limit, they risk there lives to go get a bag of milk or loaf or bread and are tired of the carnage every summer. They claim to be extra vigilant but as soon as they pull out onto the hwy a missile appears out of nowhere at mach 1.
Anyway, the 507 is still the best way (for some of us) to start our ride.
Happy Apexes.

Based on where my cottage is the 507 is a good road north to other roads. To anyone who rides it regularly it's probably a mystery as to why is has been so revered by the mainly TO crowd for so long. But then, it is a viable destination for TO riders on a weekend and it's way better than the Forks of the Credit, but you'll spend half of your day just getting there and back. I have options timing wise so I almost never ride it on a weekend. I can go from Flynn's Corner to the top Glamorgan and pass 1 or 2 cars weekdays which makes for a relatively nice ride.

The only vehicles on the 507 I'd be concerned about are other motorcycles. Over the years I've experienced a number of close calls on my bike and in my car with reckless riding in general and inexperienced/incompetent riders drifting across the centerline in the middle of a corner. This, and traffic volume in general is why I don't ride the 507 on the w/e. Yes, the locals hate riders, and probably with good reason.

As to speed, there are very few roads in Ontario that are challenging at anywhere near the speed limit, as has been mentioned, it's not Kentucky or southern Ohio.

The road surface continues to deteriorate, but at least the 507 will be repaved with asphalt and not "surface treated" the ongoing fate of so many side roads, effectively destroying them for good riding.

The problem is surveyors, they keep straightening and levelling the roads when they upgrade them, they are doing that to county road 15 :/ it sucks, you can blame those surveyor guys for taking all the jumps and dangerous parts out.

And I agree, ? speed limits are set at about 1/2 motorcycle speed.

BB
They patrol the 507 from the road. Don’t ask me how I know.

Back
Top Bottom