3rd Gen SV650 Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

3rd Gen SV650 Tires

bastak

Hi All,

The 3rd gen SV650 has a wider 5" rear wheel when compared to 1st and 2nd gen SVs. The OEM tire size is 160/60/17. From what I gather, the ideal size for a 5" rim is 170/60/17. I've got my SV set up as a track bike now and there isn't much in terms of sports/trackday rubber at 170/60 - more sports touring options. Only the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct comes at that size from what I've seen and it's been around for a while.

In the few track days that I've done this year, I feel that the bike is slow to turn in, and that I'm at the edge of the OEM rear tire (Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs) at lean angles that aren't overly aggressive. The suspension is aftermarket and set up correctly. This leads me to a few questions:
  1. There are plenty of sports touring options at 170/60. And if that's the ideal tire size for a 5" rim, why would Suzuki have fitted 160/60 as the OEM rear tire? Cheaper? Lighter? Better for intended use of the SV as an everyday street bike?
  2. How would the 170/60 affect handling over the 160/60 on the 5" rim? I assume that the tire would not be as stretched out on the rim, which should improve turn in, add a bit of height and allow for better lean angle? All positives for what I'm looking for?
  3. I haven't tried sports tires yet, so I don't know how a Q3+ in 160/60 size might fare in comparison to the current RoadSmart IIIs. Basically, I'd be deciding between a Q3+ in 160/60 and a Pilot Power 2ct in 170/60 for track days only. Which makes more sense?
Would appreciate any advice from those more knowledgeable on the topic.

ask the tires manufacturer and or a trackside vendor about the 5"rim size
ditto for air pressure(s)
Q3 is a popular td tire; and well regarded for that purpose - can't speak for the road smarts

Back
Top Bottom