30 the new 25?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

30 the new 25??

djbordie

Site Supporter
Hey,

So back after a good long hiatus...Bike trying to renew insurance for is a 2003 z1000 (sport touring, best insured by TD or Intact)

Got my renewal with a sexy $200 increase from Intact..not sure why. Record still clean, no claims, etc the usual *****.

So I do the kanetix and such, and this time I decided to go through a second time and make myself 4 months older (30 instead of 29)

To my surprise my rate went from $1700 /yr to $1000/ year or less !

WOW you say!, lucky guy you say! here comes the conundrum i need help with:

-renewal march 1
-birthday May 30
-intact/td will not change the yearly rate or monthly payment price when I turn 30...they say its all based off of a yearly price.
-state farm drops your yearly rate/monthly payment once you turn XX

Option 1 - dont renew till may...dont ride for a few months (not an option IMO)
Option 2 - Renew for 2-3 months @ high rate, cancel and turn around and re sign up with Intact (how much will my penalty be?)
Option 3 - ???

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Last edited:
You received the automated quote from the Kanetix site, but did you contact Intact / TD / StateFarm directly for quotes?

Also. I believe you meant to say "Option 1 - dont renew till may", correct?

Yes I received the quotes by phone as well.

Viffer, where you lurking! I need some professional help

fixed option 1, thanks

Intact broken also stating new rate hikes in March...when will the madness end.
wholey ****.

i guess option 3 is move out of province...

this happened to me as well with statefarm. i paid the high premiums for a few months. and then when i turned 25 they re adjusted the monthly premium and refunded all the surplus from previous months. I got a ridiculous sized cheque in the mail and a nice letter from them essentially saying sorry for putting up with wallet raping.

i say option 2. and see if intact or what ever company your with will do the same

You say in option 1 - don't renew till may and not ride for a couple months, but I dont think the season will start till may. They said it will be a longer winter then normal, and dont expect thaws till may. Think about it.

Good point, however having 0 insurance is not fun either... (fire and theft)

the season begins for me end of march, always has.

the weather will be fine come April for the quick jaunt to work or enough to get the bike out a de-winterized

The simple question is: Do you want to pay $700 to ride in April and May?

Sucks to hear about the big price drop. I'll be out end by March or early April as well. But sounds like you should just wait the extra little bit of time and renew in May. Roads will be in a little better condition so that's always a plus!

Hey, sounds like the best approach...

So allstate was quoting me sub $1000/yr. However they would take me without a car. However pleased to note, they do take kindly to those with MTO affiliations.

Every other company is around $1000 or less starting in may.

it just grinds my gears that Intact, who ive been paying a butload of money already and no claims would rather turn me away than work with me...
Makes no sense. So im going to go back to intact in May as a new rider and pay less than $1000 / yr...
What ****ing sense is this!

Any other suggestions?

30 better not be the new 25. I turn 25 in June and looking for a little bit of a break here lol

Hey man. I literally just spoke to intact today and went with them. It'd be best IMO to wait until you get the cheaper rate.

I just cancelled my insurance with TD, I'm going to be without insurance for 3 months from late Feb to late May but intact said they don't care about the lapse and my premium will go down from 1700 offered by TD to 830 with Intact.

Back
Top Bottom