2023 WSBK/WSS Discussion Thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

2023 WSBK/WSS Discussion Thread

BigEvilDoer

Watched Saturday Round 1 of WSBK/WSS at Philip Island….
WSS was a bit of a mess, but WSBK wasn’t bad at all. Had a few surprises, and Petrucci was great until the end, making a dick move and getting penalized for it.

I really hope Petrucci will do well this season, but I fear he will run into the same problems that Scott Redding has with his size.

Race 2 from about 4th to 11th was wild. There's new players in the mix ... and Kawasaki is in trouble.
I think if they're not performing better by end of round 3 they'll gain some revs back...
Honda was surprising today as well.

I've been watching MotoGP for ages, but this is the first year that I've subscribed to WSBK. Initial impressions:
  • I recognized 90% of the names in the SBK class from MotoGP or Moto2, so that helps
  • I appreciate the absence of gee-whiz graphical overlays and gimmicks. Particularly the nauseating on-board fighter pilot thing that MotoGP does which tracks both the on-board rider and the distance to the guy in front of him
  • Camera direction seems better. They stuck with the fights further down in the pack rather than watching the leaders cruise around by themselves. There were also way fewer pit-crew reaction shots
  • The commentators didn't make me immediately want to switch to the 'ambient' audio track
  • The video player on Android mobile doesn't have a progress bar, so you can't jump to specific spots in the video?! The mobile player only lets me fast-forward and rewind 10 seconds at a time. Fortunately the Chromecast app has a draggable progress bar which works. The desktop video player is fine. I didn't even try the Android app, since from what I understand you can't stream on-demand races from it at all?
  • The video player doesn't have marked highlight points. I use those quite a bit to skim through the MotoGP/Moto2/Moto3 free practice sessions

I've been watching MotoGP for ages, but this is the first year that I've subscribed to WSBK. Initial impressions:
  • I recognized 90% of the names in the SBK class from MotoGP or Moto2, so that helps
  • I appreciate the absence of gee-whiz graphical overlays and gimmicks. Particularly the nauseating on-board fighter pilot thing that MotoGP does which tracks both the on-board rider and the distance to the guy in front of him
  • Camera direction seems better. They stuck with the fights further down in the pack rather than watching the leaders cruise around by themselves. There were also way fewer pit-crew reaction shots
  • The commentators didn't make me immediately want to switch to the 'ambient' audio track
  • The video player on Android mobile doesn't have a progress bar, so you can't jump to specific spots in the video?! The mobile player only lets me fast-forward and rewind 10 seconds at a time. Fortunately the Chromecast app has a draggable progress bar which works. The desktop video player is fine. I didn't even try the Android app, since from what I understand you can't stream on-demand races from it at all?
  • The video player doesn't have marked highlight points. I use those quite a bit to skim through the MotoGP/Moto2/Moto3 free practice sessions
I've heard really bad things about the WSBK app, which is a shame because the racing is so good. Dorna needs to get it together.

Regarding graphical gimmicks, one thing I never noticed until someone pointed it out to me is that in the MotoGP broadcasts, they stabilize the onboard cameras so when a rider is fully leaned over, the camera is still horizontal, whereas in WSBK the camera leans with the bike. Now that I've noticed it, I much prefer how WSBK does it.

For the commentators, I really like Steve English but not so much Alex Raby. If you can get your hands on the Eurosport broadcasts, James Toseland is excellent.

Reactions: Ash
Saturday daytime in Indonesia is Friday evening here ... SSP race 1 just finished, SBK race 1 up next

Wow. How things have changed...
Mandalika is a notoriously difficult track where conditions never seem to be optimal.
The nature of the track allows mid-pack riders with different skill sets come to the fore, or at least the leading 1/3 of bikes.

There are several places you can watch/download the races from…
Simply go to reddit… look up the MotorsportsRepla(xxx - shoudl autofill the rest) sub forum.
Ta Da.

Just watching the races from last weekend…
To be honest, I’m absolutely astonished that Alex Lowes didn’t get penalized for his Sprint race incident with Baz.
Made an overly ambitious pass, smashed Baz and forced him to retire with a broken leg.

Petrucci’s concern for safety in these races is something that GP is going to have to watch closely.

Razgatlioglu to leave Yamaha at the end of the 2023 campaign​

So, what's his plan? Rinaldi's seat on the WSBK Ducati or Motogp I'd assume on some colour of Ducati or maybe KTM but they seem spoiled for choice at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom