2022 CSBK Pro Superbike Feature - Round 1, Race 1 - Grand Bend Motorplex | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 CSBK Pro Superbike Feature - Round 1, Race 1 - Grand Bend Motorplex

justride

The drone footage are awesome. Please follow the riders from above at least one full lap in the future good be great.
Cool part is I have been to Grand Bend Track a few times. I can compare lap times. LOL!

The drone footage are awesome. Please follow the riders from above at least one full lap in the future good be great.
Cool part is I have been to Grand Bend Track a few times. I can compare lap times. LOL!
I thought the exact same thing....if they can get the drone to follow one complete lap it would be cool. They would have to move to a more central location and be higher to capture the whole lap....unless drones are faster than I know.

Grand Bend is a drone free area because it's an active airport with posted signs and CSBK decided to ignore it even after it was brought to their attention. But yes, the footage is cool.

That doesn’t look too good on CSBK. I wonder who’s decision it was to ignore those rules…..

To the best of my knowledge it is permitted but with the following conditions:

Drone operations are permitted within the zone indicated by the yellow filled shape. Caution is advised, however, due to potential aircraft traffic. Operations when other aircraft are present are strongly discouraged.

"advanced operations" ... looks like it needs co-ordination with air traffic control to operate within 3 nautical miles of an airport, among other things.

Air traffic control at Grand Bend Airport isn't exactly sophisticated ... It's just a designated open radio frequency to allow the pilots (and other interested parties, e.g. race control at the Motorplex, or our hypothetical drone operator) to talk to each other in the vicinity of the airport. Same situation as many other tiny airports. There's no "air traffic control" as such. Pilots wanting to land or take off call out their intended actions on that open frequency and pilots flying in the area are supposed to monitor that frequency, and they co-ordinate their own actions so as to not hit each other.

It looks like it would be possible to operate a drone there under certain conditions.

To the best of my knowledge it is permitted but with the following conditions:

Drone operations are permitted within the zone indicated by the yellow filled shape. Caution is advised, however, due to potential aircraft traffic. Operations when other aircraft are present are strongly discouraged.
Off topic, are you all coming down to shubie this weekend?

"advanced operations" ... looks like it needs co-ordination with air traffic control to operate within 3 nautical miles of an airport, among other things.

Air traffic control at Grand Bend Airport isn't exactly sophisticated ... It's just a designated open radio frequency to allow the pilots (and other interested parties, e.g. race control at the Motorplex, or our hypothetical drone operator) to talk to each other in the vicinity of the airport. Same situation as many other tiny airports. There's no "air traffic control" as such. Pilots wanting to land or take off call out their intended actions on that open frequency and pilots flying in the area are supposed to monitor that frequency, and they co-ordinate their own actions so as to not hit each other.

It looks like it would be possible to operate a drone there under certain conditions.

Off topic - has anyone ever seen a plane take off or land at grand bend?

Where do they take off from? I've never even seen a plane the six or so times I was there but it was always weekdays

Adjacent to the back straightaway. The airplanes use the rough pavement beyond the part of the pavement that the bikes use.

This isn't me, but I've seen/done the same thing at a similar event. At around the 45sec mark:

I think they were using the mowed grass area beyond the broken pavement when I saw it in person, so there was lots of separation. Still cool/sketchy looking. They were going the wrong direction if you wanted to recreate that scene from Top Gun though.

This isn't me, but I've seen/done the same thing at a similar event. At around the 45sec mark:

I think they were using the mowed grass area beyond the broken pavement when I saw it in person, so there was lots of separation. Still cool/sketchy looking. They were going the wrong direction if you wanted to recreate that scene from Top Gun though.
@Brian P has a pretty sweet photo drag racing the plane from years ago

Reactions: Ash

Back
Top Bottom