2018 Ninja 400 vs 2016 Yamaha YZF-R3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2018 Ninja 400 vs 2016 Yamaha YZF-R3

Ndx

Hello,

Any opinion on best bike ... Both are brand new Yamaha obviously abound 1200$ less..

New to motorcycles ... ( I used to ride long time ago, but not bikes like this )

On another note any stores in Hamilton to GTA, where I can get jacket and helmet and someone will help with sizing helmet ?

Thank you

The 400 is the newer and better bike though but not by that much, probably 15-20% better.
However the latest 2019+ R3 is the nicer bike imo.

Reactions: Ndx
Both are nice bikes but if you can wing the insurance on the Kwak I'd go that route.

For gear I'd go to a local dealer with full gear (e.g. Burlington Cycle.) You can try stuff on for size and fit and the people there should be knowledgeable and experienced enough to help with things like helmet fit, boot recommendations etc.

Cycle world did a good video comparing the two:

To summarize the 400 has a little more power but the r3 is a more refined bike.

There is good deals on the first Gen. R3 right now as well with it being an outgoing model. The 2019 is mechanically the same with the exception of the fork.

Insurance will probably be a little more on the Kawasaki.

Last edited:
When you say the 2019 r3 is an outgoing model- I didn't find that; I found the 2020 r3 is mechanically the same bike as 2019 with changes to the plastic/graphics.
I was hoping to see a gen 2 - new model 2020 you mention. Am I missing something?

this was supposed to be a quote for @r3r3 r3 (post #5) - not getting this "quote" thing figured out since the changes made at gtam website.

Last edited:
EDIT after reading your cycle world article I found there was a fork change for the r3 in 2018. The fork (and of course the triples) were changed from 41mm to 37mm. I don't know if that deserves the moniker of a generation two r3?

The r3 lapped a roadrace curcuit about 3 or 4 seconds slower than the ninja 400. It also has 36 hp at the rear wheel, compared to 43 for the ninja. Not so important for a street ride, but interesting if you are considering racing in the future. I like both bikes.

Last edited:
2015-2018 R3 fork is 43mm conventional, new one is 37mm inverted. Bodywork is all new. Spring and damping rates are firmer. Handlebars are lower and they reshaped the fuel tank to make it easier to tuck in (top of it is up too high on the original one). Instruments are new. Engine, frame, wheels, and swingarm are the same. It isn't a full redesign but it is a pretty thorough makeover.

Ninja 400 makes more power stock but for CSBK they have to use restrictor plates. The improved stock suspension is irrelevant if it is going to be tossed in favor of Ohlins anyhow. Same with the handlebars.

I thought csbk changed the req'd intake restrictor rule - and racers can now use other means to reach the hp limit?

Does RACE have a hp limit rule in effect? Im curious. Ninja 400 is reportedly making 48 rwhp with a full pipe and ecu re-flash.
Sorry op for getting off topic.

I thought csbk changed the req'd intake restrictor rule - and racers can now use other means to reach the hp limit?

Does RACE have a hp limit rule in effect? Im curious. Ninja 400 is reportedly making 48 rwhp with a full pipe and ecu re-flash.
Sorry op for getting off topic.

The CSBK rule never changed. It has always been 42 hp and 320 lbs. However you make that work is up to you.

At 1st round last season, they couldn't get the dynojet pcv to limit the rev's. Jacob Black's 707 bike had one preprogrammed and given to him by CSBK officials. As soon as quickshifter was enabled, it went to a zero map.

At the next round, officials showed up with the restrictor plates for him to use. The 707 bike was the only 400 that ran the full series last year. Connor Campbell showed up at Subie and Mosport with one. They used the restrictors also.

I don't believe anyone has figured out a way to make the 42hp without using the restrictors.

RACE has several lightweight classes. The letter that came out with our licences stated that the lightweight production class would be using CSBK HP and weight restrictions and those restrictions would be enforced.

We only attended round one. The "enforcement' was there, but they still awarded 3rd place to a guy that was 2lbs underweight.

If you look at the CSBK results from this year, the 400 only has one podium result. The R3's are walking away with it

New rider won't apprecia the hp difference. It's a first bike...get the cheaper one. Save the cash for future bikes...once you have a better feel for what you like.

Back
Top Bottom