2017 KTM 1090 Adventure or 2017 Africa Twin (Std. Transmission) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 KTM 1090 Adventure or 2017 Africa Twin (Std. Transmission)

I'm in a KTM group and see how everyone with their 1090's having a blast on adventure rides all over South Africa and Europe. But they're all wide trails/roads when offroad. It would not be fun in the Ganny.
Either buy something midsized and accept compromises or get dedicated machines (recommended).

Just my opinion really -- the other bikes are more geared towards the road rather than off-road adventures. 19 inch front tires rather than 21 as on the KTM and Honda are an easy observation as to what the manufacturers designed their bike for.

An easy observation as to what the manufacturers designed their bike for is the front brake, if it has massive dual front disc brakes it was designed to slow a very heavy motorcycle down from very high speed, not designed for off road anything!

The better your dualsport motorcycle is suited to riding hard top, the more it's going to beat you up once you finally arrive at the woods or the rocks. The whole idea of a 21" front wheel is to easier ride over big rocks and big logs (because it puts your front axle higher off the ground) :| neither of those motorcycles are going over any big rocks and logs (unless you are an absolutely amazing rider in amazing physical condition.)

Personally I've yet to see any big "adventure" bike ride past the end of my driveway, so basically a big adventure bike can carry the average rider to all the same places my sportbike will go, then your adventure is going to need a real dirt bike, not some street bike in drag.

The ape is a pig when you get it in seriously slippery conditions (snow/mud/wet logs) and I am sure most of the big adv bikes are similar. Where the big adv bikes really shine is on our ****** pavement and backroads. The extra suspension travel really helps the bike to maintain composure at speed vs a conventional bike that tends to do the funky chicken when you hit a pothole/tar snake/washout while leaned over.

"Street bike in drag"

That gave me a good chuckle. I've seen some 1190s and a GS800 in the Ganny on E108. I've also seen honda civics drive through the same stuff in the Ganny. One civic was going a little to quick maybe like 30km/hr and we heard a loud thud of something hitting metal as it bottomed out.

If you guys can picture E108 going north from the forest centre eventually there's a side trail that runs parallel to it on the left and it's whooped out rocky and rutted. I like banging on the trail on the 300xc in 2 to 4th depending on the incline. I personally think a 690/701 would do that bit in 1st or 2nd a bit slower. Or you can go WOT on E108. But taking the 690/701 up in the sand bowl and or Thorpe hill area would not be as fun as it is on the smaller bikes. I would say those area would be out of the question on a big bike. You could ride there and even go down some trails on a big bike but it would not be enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm tending towards a ktm 690 now. It is 70-80 lbs heavier than a ktm 350 exc-f which is unfortunate but it will let me explore the area around my house, day trips and the trailered rides to the Ganaraska forest. How does anyone pick just 1 bike !?

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

"Street bike in drag"

That gave me a good chuckle. I've seen some 1190s and a GS800 in the Ganny on E108. I've also seen honda civics drive through the same stuff in the Ganny. One civic was going a little to quick maybe like 30km/hr and we heard a loud thud of something hitting metal as it bottomed out.

If you guys can picture E108 going north from the forest centre eventually there's a side trail that runs parallel to it on the left and it's whooped out rocky and rutted. I like banging on the trail on the 300xc in 2 to 4th depending on the incline. I personally think a 690/701 would do that bit in 1st or 2nd a bit slower. Or you can go WOT on E108. But taking the 690/701 up in the sand bowl and or Thorpe hill area would not be as fun as it is on the smaller bikes. I would say those area would be out of the question on a big bike. You could ride there and even go down some trails on a big bike but it would not be enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
They do a lot better than you think.

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm tending towards a ktm 690 now. It is 70-80 lbs heavier than a ktm 350 exc-f which is unfortunate but it will let me explore the area around my house, day trips and the trailered rides to the Ganaraska forest. How does anyone pick just 1 bike !?

You don't. Hahaha

You don't. Hahaha
This.

Dedicated dirtbike can be had for cheap as is insurance. Will be more fun in the forest and you won't constantly worry about dropping it.

The last time there was 'one bike fits all' was around 1940 -- when there was only one class used for everything.

Today the midweight adventure class is the Swiss Army bike, their advantage is universality. You can ride 'average' in each class, but you'll never hang with the class leaders.

Somebody should tell this guy he's doing it wrong. Lol

https://youtu.be/txpC2HUFv8I

Young Professional highly accomplished Trials/Enduro rider in peak physical condition promoting dirt bike riding. The riders not doing anything wrong but that bike :/ looks like it rides heavy and is a beast to handle in the rough even with him on it!

[video=youtube_share;gqHjSZr99Jo]https://youtu.be/gqHjSZr99Jo[/video]

... bike appears very front heavy and to excel at wheel spin, wheel spin doesn't win races. But that's a bike limitation and not a rider problem. Put him on a far lighter bike with half the power and he would show you way more impressive stuff :cool:

Young Professional highly accomplished Trials/Enduro rider in peak physical condition promoting dirt bike riding. The riders not doing anything wrong but that bike :/ looks like it rides heavy and is a beast to handle in the rough even with him on it!

... bike appears very front heavy and to excel at wheel spin, wheel spin doesn't win races. But that's a bike limitation and not a rider problem. Put him on a far lighter bike with half the power and he would show you way more impressive stuff :cool:
Thanks professor.
1152f75178cc2a8118d52d501be116ce.gif

Of course he could be just hooning around, and having fun. Sliding around corners, wheelies, and general screwin' about is fun and the best reason to ride a bike.

Hey if you can ride a 467 pound (plus) 148 horsepower motorcycle up a rocky river bed without having your heart explode after the first time you get stuck I think that's great! would love to see it, I never seen anybody in that good of physical condition before.

Hey if you can ride a 467 pound (plus) 148 horsepower motorcycle up a rocky river bed without having your heart explode after the first time you get stuck I think that's great! would love to see it, I never seen anybody in that good of physical condition before.
Been there, done that. Many times.
The last time I did the Corduroy Enduro aka "Canada's Toughest Race", Chris Birch was there. He completed day one by lunchtime. I on the other hand was on the trail until 5:30 pm. That guy is unreal, doesn't matter if it's a trials bike, 2t enduro or a monster ktm, the guys got crazy skill.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Been there, done that. Many times.
The last time I did the Corduroy Enduro aka "Canada's Toughest Race", Chris Birch was there. He completed day one by lunchtime. I on the other hand was on the trail until 5:30 pm. That guy is unreal, doesn't matter if it's a trials bike, 2t enduro or a monster ktm, the guys got crazy skill.

Found it: "[FONT=&quot]2012 CHRIS BIRCH NEW ZEALAND 500 KTM" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom