2015 DL650A project. | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 DL650A project.

GVH

OK so this project is for the most part finished already. Made the mistake of riding it around the building a few times and liked it to much. Sold the bandit to keep this one. Cert and insured it today.

Picked up a wrecked 2015 DL650A fully dressed. Every option but the factory power outlet. Down on the right side at speed packed full of grass and mud. Auction said keys yes but no start possible Mechanical. Pics showed no power to dash. Listed at 9K Day it came home on the old trailer. From looking at auction pics estimated cost was about $500-$600 in plastics from dealer. Four missing damaged peices of plastic. Crash bar pushed about 1 inch saved a lot more damage. Right foot peg MIA. Lucky for me bags not damaged and included. Minor rash on one mount.

n3U5lR3.gif

HThqQQi.gif

TZzf0XY.gif

VBX9JBQ.gif

So didn't get to this bike for a few months. Finally stripped it down to see what was needed. Luckily some nice person disconnected the battery and once connected bike starts and runs mint. 10964 K on odometer. Found two extra peices of plastic broken beyond use. One was the headlight. nothing used any better than mine so $500 plus tax ouch. Surprises are always expected but I usually work on cheap for parts older bikes.

bfs3e07.gif

So after waiting for months on one stupid back ordered peice reasembly wasn't to bad.

Yn0yflO.gif

VL3znJ5.gif

UFiXZmA.gif

After a 350 K shake down today bikes just sweet. So neutral and easy going as I remeber from my 2004 DL. One or two more parts will be ordered. Clutch lever is bent in a bit or I have giant gorilla hands not comfortable. Handlebars are slghtly bent. Not a problem for me. Thought I checked averything twice after assembly but right started swinging freely on highway. Easy fix. Not a bad project and not a ton more money than expected. Total in parts $1200 before taxes. Always keep a detailed Excel file on parts and cost for projects.

Feels much taller than the bandit was but not really. Just a bit top heavy with taller skinny front tire. Totaly different to the bandit engine wise. V twin over inline 4. My revs at 100K on highway 4.5 bandit was 5.5

... Just a bit top heavy...
Lose the top box. (y)

imo you should replace the bent bars, is not like they are expensive ones.

Lose the top box. (y)

imo you should replace the bent bars, is not like they are expensive ones.
Top box also has the tendency to make the handling go to hell as the speeds exceed 172 territory. It feels like you are on a steel grate (probably caused by buffeting around the box).

I bought a Honda Elite 150 for my first madbastered run. Cheap piece of junk but cert withtires. Drove fine until I installed a topbox. Had a nasty wondering effect at 50-60 kph took the dl to 150 kph nice and stadle. Feeling.

I’m mashing words together on purpose to stop that ahole of a program from hyper linking everything. It moves my curser back in front of the hyperlinked word and screws it all up for me.

The f in virus lets try top bocks
was it the top bollocks that made er go down in the first place :unsure: we may neverknow

After riding the DL for a few more rides and looking at everything I found a few other other oops in my assembly. Minor stupidity and easy fixes. I also realized the bars are not bent. The main fairing stay is probably off just a bit. Makes the bars look off. Light is adjusted correctly. Cleaned up and orginized the shed. Battery is still in waiting for a nice day.

FK0MPsP.gif

Nice job, congrats! Curious what auction you bought it from

I follow impactaufo.ca. I have an in at a local dealer I worked with and for. I tell him what I want and he can place a bid. Must be a dealer for most insurance auctions locally. Some northern ones are open to public. Stark is another that will let public buy. I find most of the prices higher than I like but they seem to specialize in newer vehicles. Just realize that $500 win is $800 out the door or $900 is really $1420 gcsurplus.ca has bikes mostly in Ottawa plus some crazy other stuff. Want a frigate. govedeals.ca will have bikes to govedeals.com has lots of bikes but shipping USA dollars and on average $1000 import and duty fees. don’t buy to make money as a carproof accident tag kills value. I have sold a few after fixing but for little or no profit. Especially if you included my time. I just like wrenching on bikes.

I follow impactaufo.ca. I have an in at a local dealer I worked with and for. I tell him what I want and he can place a bid. Must be a dealer for most insurance auctions locally. Some northern ones are open to public. Stark is another that will let public buy. I find most of the prices higher than I like but they seem to specialize in newer vehicles. Just realize that $500 win is $800 out the door or $900 is really $1420 gcsurplus.ca has bikes mostly in Ottawa plus some crazy other stuff. Want a frigate. govedeals.ca will have bikes to govedeals.com has lots of bikes but shipping USA dollars and on average $1000 import and duty fees. don’t buy to make money as a carproof accident tag kills value. I have sold a few after fixing but for little or no profit. Especially if you included my time. I just like wrenching on bikes.

Good info, thanks! I know better than to try and make money on these things, but wouldn't mind a cheap project

Back
Top Bottom