2012 s1000rr | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2012 s1000rr

would love for this to be my step up from a 600...... fell in love when it first came out and the one posted in black has me by the balls now..... but toooo expensive, and rightfully so i believe (to an extent)

ok...well then why didn't they save another 1.5lbs and make them the same on both sides??

In the video I seen that point was made and the answer was that it wouldnt pass safety standards. the highbeam dosent need as much refleative backing or something, The point was it could only be done on one headlight.

everything is nice minus front lights. I mean why make them different???

The design of this bike was to make a bike that if you split down the middle (front to back), nothing would be the same. Hence the different headlights. Strange concept. They really do ruin what is a sick looking bike. Looks great in black.

From what I recall from a BMW design engineer's video approximately a year ago that I cannot locate at this moment:

Headlights:
- the headlights are designed to represent an endurance racing bike. Anyone that knows endurance racing which is still very popular overseas, will recall the bikes have 1 round headlight and the other side is the flat location for the bike's racing number. It is that simple.

Fairings:
- the 2 different side fairings where a result of wind tunnel and engine cooling testing, they found that if they had 2 open type fairings then the engine ran too cool in many conditions, and if they installed 2 'fish gill venting' type fairings then the engine would not receive sufficient air flow and would run too hot. So the result is 1 'gill' type faring on one side and 1 open type fairing on the other side.

Last edited:
very nice bike,that being said.at the radar run in parrysound.s1000, 246kph, in roughly 2000 feet,my 2000 929ran 240kph,gixxer 1000,263kph.that was tops. busas, blackbirds, and zx1400s.around 230 to 235 kph,2000ft.not long enough to really let those bikes wined out.ive always been a cbr guy.but the gsxr 1000,rules the roost,at live events i go to.you can put numbers on paper,then there is real life.thats my 2cents.

only if the same rider was riding all of them would this be a valid comparison.

Here's an article explains he design:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/64/6851/Motorcycle-Article/2010-BMW-S1000RR-Comparison-Track.aspx

Do they come with a seat cowl, or do they jack you for $300 like Honda?

It's a sick bike no doubt. My fear is I would get bored with all the electronics doing the riding for me. We seen this in F1 with ABS and TC. The car was now the pilot. I think riding a superbike instills a certain amount of healthy fear in the rider, and the electronics on this bike take that away. It's also baffling how this bike with one of the best riders in the world (Haslam) couldn't win a race. Even in AMA it was mediocre at best. Kind of puzzling as to why it got pummeled on the track. Even with plenty of testing it got smoked by both Gixxers in AMA, and Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, and Aprilia in WSBK. Sounds like the bike needs more grunt down low. They've got it all up top, so essentially it's like racing a 'Busa...which would get smoked on the track.

It's a sick bike no doubt. My fear is I would get bored with all the electronics doing the riding for me. We seen this in F1 with ABS and TC. The car was now the pilot. I think riding a superbike instills a certain amount of healthy fear in the rider, and the electronics on this bike take that away. It's also baffling how this bike with one of the best riders in the world (Haslam) couldn't win a race. Even in AMA it was mediocre at best. Kind of puzzling as to why it got pummeled on the track. Even with plenty of testing it got smoked by both Gixxers in AMA, and Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, and Aprilia in WSBK. Sounds like the bike needs more grunt down low. They've got it all up top, so essentially it's like racing a 'Busa...which would get smoked on the track.

^^^^

this guy has no clue what he's talking about.

Last edited:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/64/6851/Motorcycle-Article/2010-BMW-S1000RR-Comparison-Track.aspx

Wow, a busa doesn't have a good low end?

when do you use low down grunt in racing?

I'm pretty sure the other teams with decades of experience might know a thing or two more about racing don't u think?

Me thinks you can turn off the electronics if u don't want them.

Last edited:
Apparently traction control and ABS ride the bike for you... Can't wait to sip coffee and play games on my phone while riding!

Sounds like the bike needs more grunt down low. They've got it all up top, so essentially it's like racing a 'Busa...which would get smoked on the track.

Probably want to take a look at a Hayabusa dyno chart.

Trust me. This is not a boring bike. Hanging on for dear life is a lot of fun.

OEM seat cowl is about $425.

Not quite givi....but it works.

Venture makes a top bag for it too.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/c...owdetail--brands.bmw.s1000rr--&typid=45156244

I use this rack for touring. I can put all I need for a week or two on it. Not too ugly.

everything is nice minus front lights. I mean why make them different???

Notwithstanding all the explanations offered by BMW that its about utility and weight, I suspect it's just because its different and to many of us, it looks very cool. Many don't like it. Oh well.

Trust me. This is not a boring bike. Hanging on for dear life is a lot of fun.

Good luck trying to convince anyone here that your actual experience with this machine has any value. :) They all "know" stuff about it that your experiences will not change.

I found it interesting watching these bikes racing at Mosport and many of them repetitively wiping out on the same corner. I suppose they didn't know its impossible to crash it with all the electronics.

i love my 2011

and the comment about comparing it to a busa... you really have no clue about either bike..ive had both and they could not be more different in every aspect of th bike

OEM seat cowl is about $425.

I use this rack for touring. I can put all I need for a week or two on it. Not too ugly.

Notwithstanding all the explanations offered by BMW that its about utility and weight, I suspect it's just because its different and to many of us, it looks very cool. Many don't like it. Oh well.

Good luck trying to convince anyone here that your actual experience with this machine has any value. :) They all "know" stuff about it that your experiences will not change.

I found it interesting watching these bikes racing at Mosport and many of them repetitively wiping out on the same corner. I suppose they didn't know its impossible to crash it with all the electronics.

more detais about mosport please, I'm curious.
And how did they fare in the damage dept?
Thanks

Went up a tooth on the rear. Good choice, should have gone three, the bike has the rev room. But then people would start killing themselves on them with even more regularity. :)

Back
Top Bottom