2006 Yamaha R1 Code 48 - Sub throttle servo motor help | GTAMotorcycle.com

2006 Yamaha R1 Code 48 - Sub throttle servo motor help

timyates519

Site Supporter
Hi all; I need some help and guidance if you may. Let me of course first say I have read all of the other threads that mention this what seems to be rare problem, but I am not very mechanically inclined. I do also recognize that I have not contributed to this forum, but I will process a donation to this website for your help. I will do my best to describe what was done, what i've tried, and the symptoms.

2006 R1 Anniversary with full Akro Evo, PCIII, 30,000KM. Located in Hamilton

Symptoms: Check engine light 48 - throttle servo motor stuck, no power above 7000RPM.

I recently had the stator replaced and it rode fine for around 200KM and then threw this code 48. I managed to figure out how to get the tank up, and the airbox off. At that time, I just pressed on all the connectors I could see around the throttle bodies and put it back together after charging the battery completely ( it was an older battery ). I should also note at this time I did notice the motor working as the top butterflies were opening and closing when I turned on the key. To my suprise, the bike ran great. Code disappeared and it was perfect. For around 200KM- the code came back.

Now I figured out how to completely remove the tank, airbox, etc. This time, when I turn the key the butterflies do not move at all and I cannot physically push them open as if they are locked. If I spin the worm nutt on the top of the sub throttle servo motor they do open and close properly but they are physically locked if I try and press them - not sure if this is normal condition. From the top I cannot reach from what I find in pictures is one connector, I do see the other sensor connector on the side. So that is my dilemma and here is what i've gathered from my reading and seek your recommendations.

1) Could this be a fuse? Which one, and where would I look?
2) Can I get at the connectors if I remove the fairings or does the whole throttle body have to come off?
3) Could this have just been a symptom of a bad battery - does the Code 48 being still active in the memory cause it to not run the checks during key turn? Do I just need to reset?
4) I do have a 'volt meter' but not sure how to use that to test the motor itself
5) Is it normal to not be able to press the butterflies open by hand - but the worm nutt does? Did me spinning the nutt by hand lock something? IE; did I tighten it preventing it from moving?
6) I did today just a few minutes ago install a brand new battery and pulled the fairing off. The connector for the motor seems to go up to the front near the fan but I can't get at it. The mechanic that replaced the stator also replaced the spark plugs so we were working up in that area but I can't get at it without getting the rad off. Even with the new battery, the butterflies now do not move on key cycle.

It is odd to me that it is so intermittent, I wonder if it's an electrical issue as the stator was just replaced, but i'm not even sure where to start with that. Is there any way to un-stick this thing?!

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my thread and with hopefully your help a not-so-mechanical man with some direction. I was able to order an entire new throttle assembly with motors and sensors today online - so maybe if there are any mechanics or race guys familiar with this that can help or give me an idea of time / cost to just replace the whole assembly. I don't want to go another summer without my bike.

Appreciate it.

T

Last edited:
Re: 2006 Yamaha R1 Cod 48 - Sub throttle servo motor help

A few other notes - If I put the bike in Diag mode and goto I believe it was Diag 56 - it does register changes in the butterflies if I use the worm nutt to open/close. Fully closed shows 11 and fully open I believe was 110 - so it would seem the sensor is OK but maybe an issue with the motor, or the connector for the power that runs the servo motor? It's such a tight fit I can't even get at the connectors they are under the whole assembly and can't reach from the side fairing.

Subthrottle.jpg

Last edited:
Had this same issue on my FZ1 which has the same motor. It was a bad servo motor, because it attaches from underneath the throttle bodies, they need to come out to replace it.

Before you do that, run the diag test and watch the secondary throttle plates, chances are they're not moving through the full range.

Thanks for the reply. Yes they don't move at all when I run the diag test. Sometimes if I wind them open with the nutt on top, and flick the key a few times they will close, but that's it. Also if i'm winding the nutt with my bare hands and pull or push on it a bit I can feel electricity in my hand and it vibrates really bad.

Ugh, that's tough. Did you take it to a shop / anyone you'd recommend?

Thanks for the reply. Yes they don't move at all when I run the diag test. Sometimes if I wind them open with the nutt on top, and flick the key a few times they will close, but that's it. Also if i'm winding the nutt with my bare hands and pull or push on it a bit I can feel electricity in my hand and it vibrates really bad.

Ugh, that's tough. Did you take it to a shop / anyone you'd recommend?

I did it myself, not the hardest job if you have some tools and technical ability.

Sounds like you're pretty much there if you're looking at the throttle bodies. From memory, you'll have to remove two coolant lines going to the thermowax, loosen the clamps holding the throttle bodies to the motor, then pry up (this takes a bit of physical force). You may or may not need to remove the throttle cables depending on how much room you have.

Last edited:
Unless I can plug a keyboard into it and code it back to life i'm useless! Haha. I checked the manual, it doesn't look terrible just it makes mention of specific spec's and then the throttle sync afterwords has me a bit intimidated.

Interesting though - in the manual it also mentions that Code 48 is sub throttle "Lock" - a lock is detected. 'Perform the preventative control against motor locking' 'Perform the lock release operation twice every 100 seconds'

What does that mean - that implies that there is an actual feature of the motor to lock itself maybe when it detects a fault to prevent damage? What would the lock release operation twice every 100 seconds be I wonder? Is there a way to clear this lock...

Appreciate the reply again, just donated to the site.

Unless I can plug a keyboard into it and code it back to life i'm useless! Haha. I checked the manual, it doesn't look terrible just it makes mention of specific spec's and then the throttle sync afterwords has me a bit intimidated.

Interesting though - in the manual it also mentions that Code 48 is sub throttle "Lock" - a lock is detected. 'Perform the preventative control against motor locking' 'Perform the lock release operation twice every 100 seconds'

What does that mean - that implies that there is an actual feature of the motor to lock itself maybe when it detects a fault to prevent damage? What would the lock release operation twice every 100 seconds be I wonder? Is there a way to clear this lock...

Appreciate the reply again, just donated to the site.

Mine had the same code, don't think the FZ1 manual had as much detail. Either way, if you can manually move the secondary flies by turning the nut, it sounds like a bad motor.

Back
Top Bottom