2005 R6 Coils Issues - Reistance Tests | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2005 R6 Coils Issues - Reistance Tests

Re: 2005 R6 Coils Issues - Resistance Tests

Any Diagnostic codes coming up?

I agree with double checking the TPS. In diag mode, code 01:

Fully closed: 15-17
Fully open: 97-100

While opening throttle, check that value increases linearly.

If you have a power commander, you can check TPS function also, as well as calibrate it. It's under Tools/Set Throttle Position.
When my TPS went bad the D01 diag test showed no faults. Numbers were within range, moved smoothly up and down. Aparently there's two TPS's? One that checks throttle position and one that checks that the throttle blade angle, the latter was the one that went bad in my case. Not sure if there is a diag test for it.

Any Diagnostic codes coming up?

I agree with double checking the TPS. In diag mode, code 01:

Fully closed: 15-17
Fully open: 97-100

While opening throttle, check that value increases linearly.

If you have a power commander, you can check TPS function also, as well as calibrate it. It's under Tools/Set Throttle Position.

Ran through the diagnostic and no fault codes.

For the TPS getting the following readings, Close 17 Open 94. Yes the bike has a PC III, through the PC can I bump up the "Open" value to be within spec.?

When my TPS went bad the D01 diag test showed no faults. Numbers were within range, moved smoothly up and down. Aparently there's two TPS's? One that checks throttle position and one that checks that the throttle blade angle, the latter was the one that went bad in my case. Not sure if there is a diag test for it.

Where are the two located? I found the one on the side.

Ran through the diagnostic and no fault codes.

For the TPS getting the following readings, Close 17 Open 94. Yes the bike has a PC III, through the PC can I bump up the "Open" value to be within spec.?

Yes you can calibrate the actual TPS values to the PCIII, so when you are indeed WOT, the map is providing the correct fueling for WOT:

1. Warm up the bike to operating temperature.

2. Connect USB to Power Commander and start the Power Commander Application.

3. Select Power Commander Tools, then Set Throttle Position. A window will open with 3 sets of numbers, Closed, Current and Open.

4. At the Set Throttle Position window, observe the Current number. The number will be fluctuating. Take note of the average number and record it.

5. Click over and highlight the Closed field and backspace over the old number. Change it to the number that you wrote down. Press the OK button. The window will disappear.

6. Return to Power Commander Tools, then Set Throttle Position again.

7. The following steps must be completed quickly:

a. Use the kill switch to stop the engine, turn key off and then back on quickly

b. Immediately after the engine stops, turn the kill switch back to its ON position.

c. Turn and hold the throttle to wide open.

d. Observe the number in the Current field, it may be changing or may remain constant. Look for the average or constant number and record it.

8. Restart the bike.

9. Click over and highlight the Open field and backspace over the old number. Change it to the number just recorded. Press the OK button.

To Verify the Throttle Position Settings:

1. Start the bike

2. With the bike at idle the % Throttle window should read “0”

3. Use the kill switch to stop the engine, leaving the key on

4. Immediately after the engine stops, turn the kill switch back to its ON position

5. With the engine off, turn and hold the throttle to wide open, the % Throttle window should read “100”

Where are the two located? I found the one on the side.

I'm not aware of the 2nd sensor either. I'll have a look at mine tonight.

I can double check what resistance I'm getting on my coils as well.

Yes the bike has a PC III
I would start by totally de-installing (not just removing power from it) the PC3 then retest if the problem still exists then continue with the rest of your troubleshooting.

I'm not aware of the 2nd sensor either. I'll have a look at mine tonight.
I might have been thinking of my 08 R6 that had dual sensors.

I would start by totally de-installing (not just removing power from it) the PC3 then retest if the problem still exists then continue with the rest of your troubleshooting.

I might have been thinking of my 08 R6 that had dual sensors.

I looked at my throttle body and there's only the one TPS and a manifold pressure sensor. Maybe 08 is indeed different.

I also check my coil resistance, but got some odd #'s?! I can check again tomorrow with another meter.

I'm having issues with mid-high range power, i.e. no significant power. We've attempted to do a few test, compression (low readings on a dry test 150-160 ish, 240ish wet all four cylinders relativity consistent both wet and dry). Next we checked the spark plugs and everything looked good, testing the resistance on the coils we got the following results

Coil 1 Primary 0.4, Secondary 4.3
Coil 2 Primary 0.4, Secondary 6.4
Coil 3 Primary 0.4, Secondary 5.8
Coil 4 Primary 0.4, Secondary 4.8

The spec range is .17-.23 for primary and 4.8k-7.2k for secondary.

Is there any reason the primary #'s are so far off?

I'm gonna try to get new coils (Hopefully before Thursday, Mosport with RC) fingers crossed it works.

My 80k coil measured Primary 0.3 and Secondary 5.7k. My motor pulled fine to redline on those coils. I'd say your coils are fine.

Back
Top Bottom