~2 week trip October 5th-20th - where to go? | GTAMotorcycle.com

~2 week trip October 5th-20th - where to go?

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I finish work October 4th. I want to go ride the Gaspe and Cabot trail, but I'm a little uncertain about the weather at that time of year, for a few different reasons.

I would want to hit up Newfoundland. If I was to do this trip I would also want to ride up the north shore of the St. Lawrence and then catch a ferry south from Baie-Comeau then run the Gaspe and onto Cabot Trail. Since I would also be camping, I am a little unsure of just how cold it will be in Baie Comeau at that time of year, as well as in Newfoundland and also with the possibility of snow on the roads. Camping wise, I'm good to around -5, but I don't want to ride in the snow if possible. I have full heated gear and stuff so that's not an issue. Neither is 1000km days.

It is a big trip on my to do list as I've never been further east than Montreal.

I have also wondered about riding out west to BC at this time of year and what the weather would be like on my way back during mid October. I've been out west many times by plane, train and bus, but I figure the bike would be lot's of fun.

I could always head back to Barber Museum (via Deals Gap and the BRP) for the vintage bike festival (awesome!) and then ride west for a few days, but I've been out that way and was looking for something different.

Or going to Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand and renting a bike out there night be fun for a few weeks... so many choices...

Any thoughts?

You run the risk of nasty weather and it is a very high risk. I advise against it , however check the weather records and averages for that time of year.

Like he said ^^^

Late October in the Gaspé region or Newfoundland, there is a high risk of getting some snow there. May not stay on the ground, but snow nevertheless and possibly early morning frost... Not your best setup for a bike trip...

I'm really trying to remember when I did the Cabot Trail, I want to say it was the week after Labour Day, but might have been the last week of September, most likely week after labour day. Regardless it was definitely before October. I remember the morning temperatures being right around 0 in Nova Scotia, no snow though. The afternoons warmed up nicely though. Personally, that late in the riding season, I would head straight south as far as possible and then figure things out from there, maybe bomb it to California since you have two weeks?

Thanks for the replies. I checked out some more info for that time of year and it clearly is difficult to predict. Cold definitely, rain likely, but snow is uncertain. Average snowfall is very little for the month of October in Newfoundland and I'd guess that it's more likely later in the month than during the 1st half. That said, I'll think about saving the east coast for warmer temperatures another summer down the road, and think more about riding to the west (maybe Colorado) or south coast.

Vintage Bike Fest @ Barber Museum + Deals Gap Area + Florida Keys might be a better option this fall.

Anyone ride along the east coast of the States? Anything interesting as far as roads go, or is it too crowded with towns and dirty port cities along the way?

Back
Top Bottom