1970-1980 Honda cb 16 year old first bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

1970-1980 Honda cb 16 year old first bike

speedracer3232

Hello im looking for an old bike along these lines like a 1972 honda cb200 for instince nice first bike for a 16 year old now my question is will i have more problems finding an insurance place to cover me since its an older bike? or will it be the same as getting a newer bike? Thanks

If you do buy a newer small used bike you`ll get back what you paid for it and will have alot less money and time invested in an older bike. My dad started me on a 77 kz650 and man I hated that bike everyday. It broke down on me (only once) and my dad probably sunk over $2000 into it not including the many many wrenching hours we both put into it. I have no idea about the insurance side of this though, and besides a newer bike is a chick magnet an older bike is a cougar trap.

cougar trap lool its not about the girls tho man my dad has a nice harley and i would like an old motorcycle also i want an old bike to make a cafe racer

I started on a CB450 and it was ok. You need to be mechanically inclined though, you are looking at an old bike here, you can't expect it to work flawlessly. Check insurance, unless your family has too much money and is willing to spend an exhorbitant amount on insurance, you are probably better off saving your money for a few years before you start riding. It is hard to get ahead in life when all of your money gets used up on toys.

Some good bikes to start with if you want to ride instead of wrenching would be a ninja 250 or CBR125. The bike won't cost much more than an old bike to buy (especially the 125) and you should enjoy relative reliability. If the increased upfront cost is too much, unfortunately you will have trouble affording this hobby for a while. I still think that with the high insurance rates in Ontario, people starting riding before they are about 20 is crazy. Riding is great, but you are setting yourself back for the rest of your life.

Good luck.

Hello im looking for an old bike along these lines like a 1972 honda cb200 for instance. nice first bike for a 16 year old. now my question is will i have more problems finding an insurance place to cover me since its an older bike? or will it be the same as getting a newer bike? Thanks

You will certainly have much greater trouble insuring any bike over 24 years old. In fact, many insurance companies that do bikes will not even touch 24 year old bikes. You need to call around before you make your purchase. Jevco will write a policy for a 24 year old bike. This is on top of the fact that you are less than 24 years of age, where you might get a break on insurance.

I really love older bikes, particularly older Hondas. The '80s Hondas were built like tanks and I still ride one. As already stated, old bikes can cost a lot to repair and need consistent TLC. I would consider an older bike for a second bike. Factor in the cost of replacement parts (consumables such as battery, tires, chain, rear sprocket for starters) and hidden but necessary repairs (you need to plan for these), and the costs can add up very quickly and may surpass the cost of a new bike. Most bike shops will not work on any bike over 10 years, so you will need to do it yourself. There is nothing wrong with this, but you need to be mechanically inclined. Get a newer bike for your first.

cougar trap lool its not about the girls tho man my dad has a nice harley and i would like an old motorcycle also i want an old bike to make a cafe racer

Absolutly, and to each their own. I like modern sport bikes but I'm also not everyone. At 16 it IS all about the ladies....well it was for me anyway, ok well they took a very close second to bikes. As stated above, if your lookin for reliable transportation an old bike isn't always the best way to go unless your willing to sink alot of money into it that your most likely not going to get back.

thanks guys i get it now its gonna be alot of money for one of them old bikes so im just gonna stick with a cbr 125 for starters not to bad parts are still availible at the dealer and should be cheap on insurance.

thanks guys, i get it now. its gonna be a lot of money for one of them old bikes so i'm just gonna stick with a cbr 125 for starters. not to bad parts are still available at the dealer and should be cheap on insurance.

You misunderstand your insurance problem. Be prepared to be discriminated against because you are only 16 yo. Any bike will be very expensive for insurance, no matter what you choose. It is unfortunate but true. Before you consider buying a bike call up insurance companies and ask about insurance. You might be shocked.

Expect to pay more than $2,400/yr for insurance, even for a CBR125RR. This will drop when you hit 24 yo. Search the forum to find the specifics of what other riders are currently paying. Some riders get their G1 and wait a year before getting a bike so that they can save on insurance. There are some stickies somewhere on this forum about young riders and how to reduce your insurance costs.

Back
Top Bottom