17 year old insurance questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

17 year old insurance questions

Evelo

I’m 17 and just getting my M2 in Canada and would like to buy an 08 cbr125 just to get riding. A was wondering if anyone had any estimates for what I could be looking at for insurance?

People can guess, but just start calling brokers. It is drastically affected by factors such as postal code, safety course, etc. Good choice of bike. Good luck.

Fwiw, I know of two kids (16-17) that insured with Desjardins as it had the best prices for them by far (~$1500 for 250 cc).

As mentioned the price could vary by thousands of dollars depending on something so little as your postal code so the only way to find out for sure is to start calling.

As mentioned the price could vary by thousands of dollars depending on something so little as your postal code so the only way to find out for sure is to start calling.
Not just postal code.... just by company. I had differences of over $3000.00 for the same bike from company to company.

Just keep calling. If phone books still existed, I would tell you to start at AAA insurance and call them all.

I’m 17 and just getting my M2 in Canada and would like to buy an 08 cbr125 just to get riding. A was wondering if anyone had any estimates for what I could be looking at for insurance?
In 2011 the did a pretty major upgrade to that model, I would highly recommend it, .... better sized tires.

People can guess, but just start calling brokers. It is drastically affected by factors such as postal code, safety course, etc. Good choice of bike. Good luck.

Fwiw, I know of two kids (16-17) that insured with Desjardins as it had the best prices for them by far (~$1500 for 250 cc).
C'mon really? Only $1,500/yr for a 17 year old with an M2 with the policy under his name? I call B.S.

It's possible, for all we know they live on the end of Minnicock lake road, ride 1976 enduros and they are insured by the same broker as their daddy :| minimal coverage, no loans to insure.

C'mon really? Only $1,500/yr for a 17 year old with an M2 with the policy under his name? I call B.S.
One is a 16 year old girl, m2, ninja 250 in her name. Her dad told me 1500, he has no reason to lie. He was getting much higher prices elsewhere.

The other one was a 17 yo looking to gtam for help finding insurance. Iirc he got a drz, had one insurance company double their quoted price and then desjardins came through with something affordable. They can provide more details if they want.

It's possible, for all we know they live on the end of Minnicock lake road, ride 1976 enduros and they are insured by the same broker as their daddy :| minimal coverage, no loans to insure.

Yeah that would be the only way, some hillbilly village in Chippetewawa, Ontario 200 km north of Hudson's Bay.

One is a 16 year old girl, m2, ninja 250 in her name. Her dad told me 1500, he has no reason to lie. He was getting much higher prices elsewhere.

The other one was a 17 yo looking to gtam for help finding insurance. Iirc he got a drz, had one insurance company double their quoted price and then desjardins came through with something affordable. They can provide more details if they want.

Not in the GTA, If it's some hillbilly village up north then I wouldn't even bother having insurance, everybody rides anything with no licence or helmets.

Yeah that would be the only way, some hillbilly village in Chippetewawa, Ontario 200 km north of Hudson's Bay.

Not in the GTA, If it's some hillbilly village up north then I wouldn't even bother having insurance, everybody rides anything with no licence or helmets.
Near barrie. You can decide whether that is GTA or not.

When I got my M2 and my DRZ I was 20 and paying $1900/year. Now that I'm 25 with full M and no tickets I'm paying $2000/year... I'd do some unspeakable things to only have to pay $1500/year lol

I'll have to do some calling around when my policy is up 6 months.

When I got my M2 and my DRZ I was 20 and paying $1900/year. Now that I'm 25 with full M and no tickets I'm paying $2000/year... I'd do some unspeakable things to only have to pay $1500/year lol

I'll have to do some calling around when my policy is up 6 months.
You are getting ripped off. I only paid $350/yr for a similar dual-sport with my M2. I'm now paying $900/yr for a 650cc sport-tourer. I'm in the 3rd most expensive zip code in Canada for insurance, the Jane/Finch area.

You are getting ripped off. I only paid $350/yr for a similar dual-sport with my M2. I'm now paying $900/yr for a 650cc sport-tourer. I'm in the 3rd most expensive zip code in Canada for insurance, the Jane/Finch area.
everyone is getting ripped off... but anyway those are not the only factors insurance uses to compare, missing a whole bunch of info.

How old are you? I was over 1000 for a 450 with an m2 20 years ago.

Last time I called around for quotes, they ranged between $1800-3800. Of course I'm getting ripped off lol

$350/yr sounds unimaginable on a 400cc bike for anyone, let alone someone under 25.

Last time I called around for quotes, they ranged between $1800-3800. Of course I'm getting ripped off lol

$350/yr sounds unimaginable on a 400cc bike for anyone, let alone someone under 25.
Pegassus seems to have a loose relation with the truth at times. Maybe he lived in Porcupine and was a 50 year old female with an M for the past 30 years.

I've stopped trying to understand how insurance works out here. Maybe it was a futile exercise anyways.

I pay 1600/year for a 650cc V-Strom at full coverage with a new M2 license. I am 36.
You have it good, not a bad price considering how insurance policies are so wild when it comes to motorcycles.

It will be tough due to your age no matter what you end up buying but new rider rates definitely favor smaller bikes. I wouldnt go higher than a 300cc until you get older.... unless you have deep deep pockets.

Back
Top Bottom