17 Year old Insurance help! | GTAMotorcycle.com

17 Year old Insurance help!

simplet

I recently turned seventeen and have wanted to ride for about a year now. I got my M2 back in October 2019 and I am now looking for insurance. I plan on getting a wr250r preferably. I have a fairly open budget, but have never done this before and am extremely lost. If has any recommendations to an insurance company or broker that could help it would be greatly appreciated!

all brokers have companies that will write bike insurance
does your family have a broker they use?

starting with someone that your family knows is not a bad idea

Good choice of bike. At 17 insurance will suck, at least you have minimized the pain.

I assume you took a course? If not, sign up for one, most insurance won't insure you without the course.

Start talking with insurance brokers and get at least a few different prices, they will be all over the place.

The neighbours 16 yo kid got a Ninja 250 insured for <$1500 which I thought was surprisingly low so there is affordable insurance out there with the right bike and some searching.

Really fun bike. My buddy had one but at your age I'm thinking 3-4k at least for insurance depending where you live. My friend was 25 when he bought it and was paying 1800ish for his first year

Smart thinking on looking for insurance before buying the bike, I'd hate to be an 17 year old starting out today...
the WR250 is a very nice bike, id start with perhaps calling around some of the brokerages (Dalton Timmis, mitchell and whale, riders plus etc) for quotes

Who's your car insurance with? Honestly, it's going to hurt no matter what, but bundling house and car together (if you're with a car insurance company that writes motorcycle policies, not all do) will often yield the best pricing in the end.

Good choice of bike. At 17 insurance will suck, at least you have minimized the pain.

I assume you took a course? If not, sign up for one, most insurance won't insure you without the course.

Start talking with insurance brokers and get at least a few different prices, they will be all over the place.

The neighbours 16 yo kid got a Ninja 250 insured for <$1500 which I thought was surprisingly low so there is affordable insurance out there with the right bike and some searching.
It might not of been a good bike of choice. Dalton Timmis quoted me at 8200 a year which is more then the bike itself! I have done the course, and I guess he was lucky because so far it isn't looking good. Thanks :)

Thanks, I gave it a try but It seems dated as some of the insurance companies like Riders Plus don't even accept anyone below 21.
Staying on top of each insurance companies underwriting rules would be a full time job. Use what is here as a reference on who to talk to, how insurance works (eg weighting, factors that matter etc) and what questions to ask.

Will give it a shot for sure! Thanks :)

cold calling brokers/ins companies for a 17 yr old is going to be frustrating
that business attracts lazy people and unless they have some business with the family already
they will be likely to toss back a crazy quote so you just go away

I know a young dude wants to stand on his own
but family connections can be valuable too

It might not of been a good bike of choice. Dalton Timmis quoted me at 8200 a year which is more then the bike itself! I have done the course, and I guess he was lucky because so far it isn't looking good. Thanks :)
Well, I think it's still a good bike choice. If you told them you were getting a 600SS, it would likely have been 12K+. That just means DT doesn't deal with insurance companies that want anything to do with your risk profile.

Well, I think it's still a good bike choice. If you told them you were getting a 600SS, it would likely have been 12K+. That just means DT doesn't deal with insurance companies that want anything to do with your risk profile.
The broker at Dalton Timmis stated that it is an ineligible vehicle, and that the companies do not like a "dirt style" of bike. I'll keep asking around tonight and see what happens. Worst comes to worst I'll have to consider another bike.

The broker at Dalton Timmis stated that it is an ineligible vehicle, and that the companies do not like a "dirt style" of bike. I'll keep asking around tonight and see what happens. Worst comes to worst I'll have to consider another bike.
While you have people on the phone, try an get a quote for a Ninja 250 as well. That will be near the bottom of pricing (a 125 will be cheaper but I like 250/300 as a starter bike as you can do almost everything with it).

Wi
While you have people on the phone, try an get a quote for a Ninja 250 as well. That will be near the bottom of pricing (a 125 will be cheaper but I like 250/300 as a starter bike as you can do almost everything with it).
Yeah not the biggest fan of the sport bikes, but if its reasonable it might be the way to go.

Wi

Yeah not the biggest fan of the sport bikes, but if its reasonable it might be the way to go.
You don't need to go that way, but it gives you an idea of the lowest price you can get from each broker. Once you find a broker you like that has good pricing, then you can harass them with different bike models to find one closer to the ninja (maybe a drz400 is cheaper than the wr250 based on their claims history for example).

Back
Top Bottom