125cc "Adventure" bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

125cc "Adventure" bike

That's where the discussion gets interesting. Those wackdoodles on scooter rallies go around lake erie in 24hrs, wringing the daylights out of 9hp. People go across the US on 4 and 5hp pre 1920's bikes going over the Rockies. Circumnavigations have been pulled off on 20hp bikes.
Theres a tool for the job, might be a bit of frustration getting pushed by a Freightliner on the downhill, just pull over, most of the shoulders are paved these days.
Never been called a wacky doodle, usually just a Mad Bastard.

Rally is Hella fun, but yer right, we get outgunned by EVERYONE. Know your limits for you and the machine, and should prob pay attention to finance limits.

It's a toy essentially here in Canada (unless you can commute 10 kms). General rule for me would be pay for it then play.

11hp won't do it here in Canada, where people do 120km/h on the 80km/h roads. It's a nice bike, like many of the new Chinese bikes, but engine tech in their bikes has to catch up to the Japanese still. Also, parts availability and serviceability out on the lost prairie could be a intimidating.

I'm not sure how much catching up the Chinese need to do, they make a lot of the engines going into Japanese brands, and a few Euro brands are full of Chinese parts. This 125 is a 2 valve (dead simple) based on the old Suzuki GS engine that was pretty bullet proof , and your getting fuel injection.
Your only getting a 5sp box, but 6 wouldn't work anyway with 11.5hp. You'll top out at 80kms max.
But its half the price of a BMW310 so. ...

Personally I think the Versys 300 would be a good blend of small size and weight while still having enough power for some highway use.

Never ridden one though but I'm not very picky so I'd probably like it. I think Fort Nine gave it a decent review but preferred the CRF250 if you're doing mostly off-road.

I'll boldly predict its the future. 20yr olds without a trust fund cant ride 1000cc bikes anymore. The Brits watched an entire industry collapse, thinking no one will ever need/want more than a 650 twin, then along comes Honda. But that arms race is wilting, 125cc and 250's will be insurable, fixable and mostly capable. you'd need to be a bit of a dope to try 400 series highways, but theres little fun to be had there anyway.
I'd say true for all but a Ninja 250. I've done a pile of 400 series miles on one, mine clipped along at 130 all day long without complaining.

I'm not sure how much catching up the Chinese need to do, they make a lot of the engines going into Japanese brands, and a few Euro brands are full of Chinese parts. This 125 is a 2 valve (dead simple) based on the old Suzuki GS engine that was pretty bullet proof , and your getting fuel injection.
Your only getting a 5sp box, but 6 wouldn't work anyway with 11.5hp. You'll top out at 80kms max.
But its half the price of a BMW310 so. ...
6 speed makes a bit of a difference on a Suzuki 125s, particularly if you upgrade the exhaust and intake. My little SP tops out at 105kmh on flat ground with a 200lb payload.

Problem is, Canada is Huge huge huge and the roads are exceptional :/ on average, Distances and sustained speeds are incomprehensible to somebody who hasn't rode or driven it. For those who have, imagine finding yourself on a loaded down scoot like that, trying to climb one of those long hills somewhere north of Lake Superior. .... not scary enough for you ... you're being over-taken by a logging truck and a Greyhound Bus :|

add: & if I'm not going across the province on my 250 adv bike, then why would I want so much luggage capacity.
lol scratch that I just looked at another photo, the luggage is munchkin sized.

'xactly. Going long distances on my 600 was fine, on something less powerful, wouldn't want to be doing interstates with big rigs. Commuting is fine with the smaller cc. I used to run a 250 that maxed out at 120km/h....just fast enough to go up the DVP......in the right lane.

A modern 600 will do 280 kph according to a quick Google search. Is that really the minimum required machine to do long highway rides?

If that tiny motor has an anti-vibration counter-balance shaft, that would be pretty sad, but it would also account for some of the things crazy weight. That along with the roll cage thing that is suppose to save ... ?
:/ what's all that tubular steel stuff on there for anyway! to mount accessory lights, protect your cheap parts or are you suppose to tuck in behind that leg trap in a crash situation ? lol

If that tiny motor has an anti-vibration counter-balance shaft, that would be pretty sad, but it would also account for some of the things crazy weight. That along with the roll cage thing that is suppose to save ... ?
:/ what's all that tubular steel stuff on there for anyway! to mount accessory lights, protect your cheap parts or are you suppose to tuck in behind that leg trap in a crash situation ? lol
I think everyone might be taking this bike too seriously. It's a basic Chinese bike based on an ancient Suzuki UJM frame and engine from the 70s. You can buy it decorated to look like a Motard, ADV, Scrambler, Cafe racer, Modern Naked...With 10HP & 6lbs of Torque -- no amount of suspension or bodywork will make this bike anything more than an urban putt-putt.

Wait what?? this 11.5hp Oriental express wont follow a GS1200 down the parkway? or cross deserts at 100kms in 6" of sand?? and it costs somewhere around $5 grand? 20% of the price of an introductory GS?
well that spoils everything...…. those crafty Asians

More like it won't draw the hat off your head.

... don't make me link that Brit video that was painful just to watch lol.

A modern 600 will do 280 kph according to a quick Google search. Is that really the minimum required machine to do long highway rides?
It's not the top speed, it's the ability to haul luggage and passed big rigs when loaded up.

Personally I think the Versys 300 would be a good blend of small size and weight while still having enough power for some highway use.

Never ridden one though but I'm not very picky so I'd probably like it. I think Fort Nine gave it a decent review but preferred the CRF250 if you're doing mostly off-road.
I'd really like to see that bike with the 400 plant in it

Not that I've ridden the 300
But from a marketing perspective
400 would be much more appealing to NA

When I started riding
400 was midsize

Sent from my Infinix HOT 4 Pro using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom