120mph tank slapper crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

120mph tank slapper crash

30,000 followers on Instagram. Not hard to see why. She was wearing good gear obviously. Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R. Not enough footage in the vid to tell how that speed wobble started. Pretty sketchy knowing your bike can do that without knowing why.

I imagine at that speed, with someone light enough, the front end just gets real light and susceptible to tank slappers

30,000 followers on Instagram. Not hard to see why. She was wearing good gear obviously. Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R. Not enough footage in the vid to tell how that speed wobble started. Pretty sketchy knowing your bike can do that without knowing why.
It looks like she might have had the front up a bit and set it down wrong. Not easy to tell though.

No way to ride that slapper out. Quite the handlebar flutter action. Do Kawasaki's come stock with a steering damper?

Before being in the motorcycle community I didn't understand why some steering on bikes had that hydraulic cylinder-looking thingy called a steering damper, so this is why some people install it.

Before being in the motorcycle community I didn't understand why some steering on bikes had that hydraulic cylinder-looking thingy called a steering damper, so this is why some people install it.
Had to look that one up..

"A steering damper, or steering stabiliser is a damping device designed to inhibit an undesirable, uncontrolled movement or oscillation of a vehicle steering mechanism, a phenomenon known in motorcycling as wobble."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIDRAJ&usg=AOvVaw1GlV2FkOfkjKLz-xca3JvT.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Far less phenomenon then known fact because they really do know what causes it, if there is any play in your wheel bearings, flex in your forks or frame, or your front wheel is simply too damn heavy, you are going to experience head shake and wheel wobble sooner or later.

You know they do put steering dampers on cars and trucks too.
... it was stock equipment on a model T Ford.

Last edited:
You know they do put steering dampers on cars and trucks too.
Did anything come with one stock? I've seen them put on off-road vehicles where the suspension has been extensively modified but that's about it. Afaik, it's for a slighly different purpose as well. It tones down a single big hit to keep the steering wheel from spinning out of control (and breaking your thumbs if you are holding the wheel wrong).

Did anything come with one stock? I've seen them put on off-road vehicles where the suspension has been extensively modified but that's about it. Afaik, it's for a slighly different purpose as well. It tones down a single big hit to keep the steering wheel from spinning out of control (and breaking your thumbs if you are holding the wheel wrong).
Yes, I've owned a few and I did not add them.
Almost required equipment when you put over-sized wheels on a vehicle like a jeep that is highly prone to steering wobble even in stock form.

If they don't know about steering dampers, wait until they read about fork braces. Fork braces actually attempt to address one of the root problems.
... which have since been largely supplanted by using bigger axles.

Speaking of wheel wobble, has everybody changed their fork oil on schedule?
Dirty oil wears out your fork bushings and fork legs, worn forks are prone to wobble.
Replaced your POS 14$ wheel bearings every 4 or 5 years? uncontrolled wobble wobble
cleaned, re-grease and adjusted your steering head bearings, or heaven forbid upgraded from balls to taper bearings.
Swingarm bushings or bearings <- does your bike feel like it has a hinge in the middle lately?

? If you are going to ride at 200 kph :/ you better have your **** together and your screws all tight (y)

She didn't get as lucky. That arm is "dead". But she still alive and seems to be in good mental health. You can see from her Instagram. Put aside the fact that she can't dance you can see that her arm is limp.

Damn...hopefully its something that heals over time.
She looks young...so yeah..

Far less phenomenon then known fact because they really do know what causes it, if there is any play in your wheel bearings, flex in your forks or frame, or your front wheel is simply too damn heavy, you are going to experience head shake and wheel wobble sooner or later.
But this only affects sports bikes with their limited, tight steering radius right? I can't see a tank slapper happening on a dirtbike or a dual-sport bike.

But this only affects sports bikes with their limited, tight steering radius right? I can't see a tank slapper happening on a dirtbike or a dual-sport bike.
My bmw k75 would shake hard enough that it threw the trim off from around the headlight.

sadly wrong, it can happen on a Suzuki TS185 or Ascot FT500 or RD350
or for that matter any bike when you set the front wheel back down from a wheelie or simply exceed the limits of the front suspension
like riding your police bike over a speed bump or railway tracks too fast, even hard acceleration and uneven road surfaces can initiate a wobble that will become catastrophic if left unchecked, push on both ******* handlebars!
Motorcycles with weak steering heads are not exclusive to any format, there are lots of them. Kawasaki widow maker, any poorly serviced motorcycle.
dent in your 45 year old BMW front rim?

dent in your 45 year old BMW front rim?
No dent, no obvious anything. I dont have it anymore. It probably shook stop to stop on me 10 times at a range of speeds from 30 km/h to fast, one up or two up. In a corner (that's super fun), over tracks, riding straight and level, it would just occasionally take off. Didnt wheelie that bike and it was not a good jumper for a number of reasons.

Back
Top Bottom