Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 56 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Warmish already 30 at 10 am waiting on an Amazon delivery but socks and padded shorts on so quick to gear up.
These have been really nice on the motorcycle
71F4V2E1puL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
71ve5X7+egL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought for bicycle but my MotoSkiveez are getting tired ( elastic waist failing ) and frankly these work better for me and newer tech. Price is good too.

Actually good for my sciatica sitting at the computer - bought two sets.

Meter reader arrived so one down. Waiting on mail for the Amazon delivery.

Figured I swap the knee armor out.
View attachment 59231 View attachment 59232
The REVit armour is nicely shaped but as with all pants for me the armour is below my knee except when my knee is bent riding and even then it is below my knee cap.
The slip on armour sits completely on my knee all the time and the wings wrap around.
My only concern is how warm it will be. That I can use it for both eBike and motorcycle is a bonus. D3O armour right on my knee!!! that's the ticket.
The G-Form is also left and right. velcro above and below the knee with two bands of no slip material on each strap.
View attachment 59234
I really think because the downhill and off road bicycle riders take far more spills than motorcyclists that the protective gear has improved dramatically and D3O is another big step.

Waiting on the courier for another as did not ship by post :(
Had today set aside to resolve the internet issues and if I missed the courier it's a hassle.

Thought about putting the REVit knee armour in the other pants but the HWK is reticulated and pretty decent CE-1 so leaving it.

Pulled the REVit armour and put on the G-Form then the REVit pants...works the charm - wondered if there was a enough room and there is. It is warm but not horrid as it is 31 on the deck just now and doesn't cook me even with riding boots on and will be fine when moving. √

Courier came - 10 min later most of the internet issues sorted - most important speed on the back corner farthest from the modem. That's as good as right next to the modem and easy set up.
14246414990.png

How is the sizing for the shorts?

They are mostly lyrcra so lots of give. 42" waist XXL was fine and they stay in place.
Quite remarkable value for money at $39 AU shipped.

MotoSkiveez are much more. $145 Aus and not sure the tech is as good tho mine gave me good service for years.

They are mostly lyrcra so lots of give. 42" waist XXL was fine and they stay in place.

MotoSkiveez are much more. $145 Aus and not sure the tech is as good tho mine gave me good service for years.

I have a pair of MotoSkiveez and love them. Have had them for 10 years or so.

I have a pair of MotoSkiveez and love them. Have had them for 10 years or so.

Longest run in a good while - 430 km and home by 3 pm. Was sore tho not excessive...more tired.
Steak and onion sandwich at Palmer River Road House what just "okay" but the coffee milkshake was the perfect treat.

A few of the Apostle birds showed up for free bread. ( photo from earlier ride up there )
Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at Jan, 26    2023    7.10.35 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at Jan, 26    2023    7.10.29 AM.jpg
The Roadhouse was completely dead even at noon. It's that time of year. But the day was gorgeous for riding with very little wind.
Loved the shagbarks on the property.
Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at Jan, 26    2023    7.18.26 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at Jan, 26    2023    7.18.39 AM.jpg

Took a break near home at Ellis Beach ....such a nice day tho at that point I found the pull-on knee armour a bit uncomfortable with pressure on the knees after that long a day. I think I should have adjusted them better when I stopped for fuel but no question that at 30 degrees they were on the hot side. We'll see on a shorter ride which will not be today despite a long sleep.

Biggest issue is my LCD screen is failing ( has been for a while ) ...I think I can make do with a smart phone for speed and distance and ....so far the fuel level is still visible, but speed and trip meter are faded entirely.
The bike does not sit in the sun other than while riding so guess just one of those things. :(

Just so you know what you are "missing".
Girlfriend and i are in Gananoque for a couple days. Supposed to head back to KW tomorrow. Might take another day. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125-164647_Weather.jpg
    Screenshot_20230125-164647_Weather.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 7
Two Tstorms already and it's only 4 pm. √ Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at Jan, 27    2023    4.05.19 PM.jpg

Wednesday ride to Palmer RIver was a very unusual day for the wet. Light winds from the west.
Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at Jan, 26    2023    7.18.55 AM.jpg

Today a nice day to watch some tennis.
Tweeked the Samsung TV so better in daytime. Very nice to have reliable 4k in the back corner.Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at Jan, 27    2023    4.11.43 PM.jpg
That Tenda Mesh was the best $100 I've spent in a while. Max speed wifi anywhere in the house.
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at Jan, 24    2023    5.13.24 PM.jpg
it could be as bad as this in the black hole.Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at Jan, 25    2023    12.08.17 AM.jpg:cry:

Being a virtual rider :rolleyes: It was just too hot for the real thing.
Enjoying this. Very fast paced but interesting read.
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at Feb, 7    2023    11.41.09 PM.jpg

Got out nice and early ...at MIllaa Millaa by 11 ....by way of...I think the term is "frog strangler" ....damn am I ever wet.
Will be dry by the time I get home in a few hours cept the boots. 24 and I'm in a short sleeve soaked shirt so hoping for some sun while having lunch. Forgot to bring my liner...would have been useful.

270 km easy ride once I cleared the deluge. Threatened more wet just coming down the range road and the road was wet so took it very easy. Enjoyed the day tho a bit dire during the worst of the rain....it's all showers tho ..not the monsoon.

Last edited:
Glad I went out yesterday - had vague notion today but its 33 feels like 36 at 10 am.
Will pass.
and the boots need another day to dry....this will do it.

As good as it gets today.
Rode to Herberton….everything closed …in Ravenshoe now - I see they have a big new windfarm mostly built. The older windfarm is churning out power big time today . Wind gusts to 20 knots ....exciting ride home coming ...I may ride down the Gillies just for the wind shelter.
Bigger windfarm under construction near Ravenshoe too. Highest town in QLD at 900m
Much cooler too....23 at 1 pm. Gorgeous. Lots of mcycles out
Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at Feb, 12    2023    4.44.46 PM.jpg
Gillies both ways is tiring but aside from slightly sore arms generally a relaxing ride and the air was sooooo fresh and clean up on the tableland. Still hot in Cairns at 5 pm but not so much humidity.
Wore the Joe Rocket mesh. the HWK light pants and the lighter EVO3 helmet with the face open the entire ride.
2286ccd48295f9a324ef4f978c381454.png

Fixed the irritation on the bridge of my nose so the $5 sunglasses were excellent with the helmet fully open ...the optical clarity far better than any of the visors.

Good ride - only 270 KM but tons of twists...even the roads up near Ravenshoe are lovely sweepers through the rain forest. Highest road in Queensland winds through tableland hills and pockets of rain forest.

Tired me out ...should sleep well tonight :sleep:

Last edited:
A good fill in until Noraly reveals Season 7 thanks to a suggestion from a Stromtrooper.
So acclimatized to driving on the left that it feels strange now ..a riding on the right viewpoint.
When I was switching back and forth was not so bad but two years in to my permanent move to Australia driving on the right is disconcerting.
This will help while away the wet season here in Cairns tho yesterday was as good as it gets. Mid 20s C and blue skies.
On to 3 Seasons of Lavi & Ollie attempting a two up world record on a big VStrom. Lots of weight to pick up.
Back to left side riding in UK. Abundance of enthusiasm.not sure about the dual commentary...lovely riding area UK in spring.

It's okay 6 episodes in....My guess is their back packing and bicycle background helps them pack efficiently. Certainly setting off in northern hemisphere spring is smart and they are not trying for long distances. Okay so far.(y)
UK has no appeal at all...too dense.

Some memories of France for me.
This jacket Macna.. inexpensive....Dutch company.
screen-shot-2023-02-13-at-feb-13-2023-6-32-59-am-jpg.312589

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom