'04 GS500F with stripped oil cover studs. What to do with it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

'04 GS500F with stripped oil cover studs. What to do with it?

Golluk

Title pretty much covers it. I still have my previous bike that was ride able until about 2014 when I managed to strip the oil filter cover studs. Torque wrenches are sadly useless when the manual just says not too tight. Been sitting in an attached garage since.

I have 3 options in mind:
1. Try fixing it myself and selling afterwards fairly cheap
2. Pay a shop to fix it, sell it afterwards.
3. Sell it as is as a parts bike.

I'm leaning more towards selling as a parts bike. It was in one low side crash about as gentle as those go (new turn signal and fairing rash), but also had some valve work done to fix a compression issue. It ran, but not as nicely as before. It's also up at 56K Km.

Google up GS500F oil cover stud and you will find a video on how to fix it.

For future reference if there is no torque spec on a particular bolt, go by the bolt size, there are charts for that.
for example: Bolt Depot - Recommended Torque for Metric Bolts

Google up GS500F oil cover stud and you will find a video on how to fix it.

For future reference if there is no torque spec on a particular bolt, go by the bolt size, there are charts for that.
for example: Bolt Depot - Recommended Torque for Metric Bolts

I did find this one that seems to go over it fairly thoroughly.
The last time I worked on messed up bolts/studs in engines was high school auto class. I recall it being a royal pain.

Ya, it's not easy, sometimes frustrating and always messy, but as long as it's just a broken stud and not a broken casing it should be repairable.
Paying a shop to do it will be crazy expensive and selling it as is will not recover you very much money.

There's a father & son mobile service for this.
He took out a Xthreaded caliper bolt & installed a helicoil in my driveway on someone elses bike. $140 for that.

Hopefully he doesn't damage the threads in a casing to need a helicoil insert in an oil filled engine casing.
The hole needed for the insert will be large and trying to make that fix oil tight :/ not so easy.

@Golluk does it look like helicoil insert is going to be needed to repair the casing?

Last edited:
There's a father & son mobile service for this.
He took out a Xthreaded caliper bolt & installed a helicoil in my driveway on someone elses bike. $140 for that.

Hmm, that's tempting. Any contact info on them? Sounds worth it to at least get a quote. The studs might just be a case of replacing, assuming they don't prove too difficult to remove. Though the bottom bolt will likely require a helicoil. It had already been stripped and re tapped once.

Helicoil insert is like spring, it's not the same as a Time-Sert which is a sleeve.
Sleeve insert is not going to leak past the threads like a spring insert will try to do (unless you glue it in)

If that bottom bolt hole has been drilled and tapped previously, it either has an insert now or the bolt is over-sized from original :unsure:

I put a nut on, then weld it to the stud. Then wrench out the stud. EZ.

I saw someone do this in a video. Welder is still on my list of tools to acquire though. I thought of squaring it off a bit and using some JB weld or two part epoxy to something similar though.

Back
Top Bottom