Yamaha. WTF !! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha. WTF !!

ABS is coming to all new street bikes, whether you want it or not. Yamaha Canada is aiming to have to entire lineup compliant with the regulations before the deadline. If you want a specific new model with ABS, just wait, it will be available shortly. Generally we are hearing customers when they say they want ABS, either as standard or an option. Most people do not like the $1000 (approximately) increase in sticker price that comes along with it. All of a sudden the FZ07 would cost closer to an FZ09, and the FZ09 would be more then $10k. Which is a number that seems to put people off in that market segment. Even Triumph dropped their pricing to come closer to the FZ09. For years the complaint was always that new bikes were too expensive, and (as previously pointed out), Yamaha reacted and met the demand. The Bolt, FZ09, FJ09, FZ07 and R3 are all aimed at bridging that price gap without sacrificing the quality we expect from Yamaha.

I personally would like all the technology from the new R1, with the motor response from the FZ09 and the chassis of and R6 packed into a bike we can sell for less than $10,000... but it will never happen. There will always be a give and take, and decisions will have to be made and yes, cost is part of the process. For example, The FJ09 has fly by wire throttle (similar to the FJR and Super T), and has the same left hand switch housing but does not have cruise control. Would it be hard to add, no. Expensive, no. But it was determined (by someone) that it would not be enough of a feature to make a selling difference worldwide to include it. I personally think that was a mistake and wouldn't be surprised if it came on future models as standard.

I've heard that drum brakes are pretty much bullet proof, and should be less expensive to boot.

Why not throw a pair of those on you bike for tootling around town?

I wonder if this same argument came out during the switch to disc brakes?

1. You were misinformed. 2. You can't just throw on drum brakes. 3. My 2013 car still has drum brakes.

lol. only took 6 posts before the "learn to ride" abs haters jumped in. So you think everyone with abs just
clamps down hard on the brakes to stop? Can one not still threshold brake on an abs bike? If anything it safer
to practice threshold braking on an abs bike. As when you activate abs you have gone too far but if you do same
on a non-abs bike you on your face if you lock front wheel. I have had bikes with and without abs, never felt the abs
activate even on some panic stops. Just do not understand the haters when abs is offered as an option. You want it,
get it. You dont, buy bike without it.

As for Yamaha and the FZ07 / FZ09. The thing is (as i said in my op) Yamaha does not even have to do anything special to offer abs
on these bikes. The Australian and EU Yamaha models (MT07 / MT09) have abs. (Australian models abs is an option)
If anything it would be cheaper for Yamaha as they just have to make one world model instead of 2 variations 1 for NA and 1 for the rest of the world.
Or even better (since they already do it for Australia) just give us in NA the option. As i said. Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki already do this.

THANK YOU for saving my breath/fingers...I actually was debating if I would reply to another one of these threads to say the same things you just said. Honestly I can't stand it how so many people are anti-ABS because they feel with ABS your only options are no brakes and full brakes -- You can modulate exactly the same as you would without it, and it only comes on when you exceed the limit, which without would send that wheel into a skid/slide. Also to use cars as a comparison...most cars these days come with ABS, standard. In order 15 years, I've maybe had ABS engage 3-4 times, and each time, it was needed/helped (and that's over likely a million or more times I've used the brakes). Some might argue then ABS isn't required...but in my mind, I was glad I had it those 3-4 times, so it was worth every penny.

Also, I feel ABS can teach people to brake better IF they use it as a training tool -- Take bike, go to parking lot, and practice threshold braking. If you brake and the ABS comes on, you failed, and try again to stop as quickly as you can without it engaging. I know many who will not do this with a new bike as they are worried about going past the threshold and crashing their new motorcycle...but with ABS, that risk is almost non-existent (unless you do something else stupid/decide not to put a foot down after stopping).

I also don't understand why bikes aren't the same for all markets -- You'd think ABS would cost pennies if they sold it everywhere vs select markets. My guess is they pass the cost on to us, typically having it as a $500-1000 option, vs making a ton more units, and selling it standard for maybe $50 more. The funny part is how Yamaha went their route and Honda went the other -- My CBR650F is only available with ABS in Canada, whereas in other markets it is an option.

I spent 12 years on a bike with a drum rear break and never had a complaint. It was actually fun to lock it up on purpose (on dry roads stopping in a straight line) and make the tire squeal! If I saw a buddy in town stopped at the light ahead of me, I would do it coming up behind them and give them a mild heart attack. It was kind of like skidding my old coaster break BMX back in the day!

I wouldn't be opposed to buying a bike with a drum again. If Kawi brings the W800 this side of the pond there is a very good chance one will end up in my garage.

People should really learn to control their vehicles for themselves instead of relying on modern technology. What happens if you get into a situation where technology can't help because you were too confident in it and never learned for yourself the proper technique or skills? I have scared myself many more times than once on my bike (which does not have abs or tc) and I have learned from that. Never dropped any of my bikes, either. On a group ride once I had my rear wheel slip way out unexpectedly but was able to save it and kind of drift out the corner. When we stopped the fellow who was behind me who had about 10+ years riding experience on me said he was sure he was going to run me over and didn't know how I saved it. I push my own limits when I am alone on the road and apply what I learn to every day riding. I fear new technology like abs and tc will take that away from the average rider, make them less skillful in a time of need.

People should really learn to control their vehicles for themselves instead of relying on modern technology. What happens if you get into a situation where technology can't help because you were too confident in it and never learned for yourself the proper technique or skills? I have scared myself many more times than once on my bike (which does not have abs or tc) and I have learned from that. Never dropped any of my bikes, either. On a group ride once I had my rear wheel slip way out unexpectedly but was able to save it and kind of drift out the corner. When we stopped the fellow who was behind me who had about 10+ years riding experience on me said he was sure he was going to run me over and didn't know how I saved it. I push my own limits when I am alone on the road and apply what I learn to every day riding. I fear new technology like abs and tc will take that away from the average rider, make them less skillful in a time of need.

I take it, that you ride a Horse and Buggy then?

I most certainly do. Lancaster County represent!

Also don't forget to remove airbags and cut the seatbelts out of your car...shouldn't have those either...you'll start relying on them!

Also don't forget to remove airbags and cut the seatbelts out of your car...shouldn't have those either...you'll start relying on them!

This is just idiotic. Airbags and seat belts don't correct someone's improper control inputs to a vehicle. I feel very sorry for anyone who thinks like this and truly believes it. This is one of the many reasons we have so many **** drivers on our roads.

ABS is mandatory in EU for any bike over 125cc. Pretty sure there is a reason for that. I wouldn't personally buy any bike that had non-switchable ABS. I like to slide.

This is just idiotic. Airbags and seat belts don't correct someone's improper control inputs to a vehicle. I feel very sorry for anyone who thinks like this and truly believes it. This is one of the many reasons we have so many **** drivers on our roads.

You say that as though correcting someone's improper control inputs is a bad thing.
Some people forget to brake at all in an emergency situation. There's no fix for that yet.

I like to think that you and I would use the proper inputs, but you never know. It depends on the situation.

ABS is mandatory in EU for any bike over 125cc. Pretty sure there is a reason for that. I wouldn't personally buy any bike that had non-switchable ABS. I like to slide.

They're all switchable by popping the fuse, aren't they?

Yeah sure, but I would like to switch on/off via controls without getting into fuse box every time.

Yeah, mine has some third party kits for that. Although, you might have to turn the engine off and on to reset it.

You say that as though correcting someone's improper control inputs is a bad thing.

It IS a bad thing. How do you know you've done something wrong if you aren't aware of it? People need to learn from their mistakes, they will use the technology as a crutch without even realizing it and eventually get themselves into a situation where technology can't help them or the people they crash in to.

It IS a bad thing. How do you know you've done something wrong if you aren't aware of it? People need to learn from their mistakes, they will use the technology as a crutch without even realizing it and eventually get themselves into a situation where technology can't help them or the people they crash in to.

For myself. When the ABS goes on, I know I've done something wrong.

Much better than learning I've done something wrong by crashing and dieing, but that's just me.

Not everyone thinks like you. Not everyone will learn from the feeling of ABS coming on or really even realize what it is.

For myself. When the ABS goes on, I know I've done something wrong.

Much better than learning I've done something wrong by crashing and dieing, but that's just me.

Didn't you know ABS is for n00bs? Alright everybody let's go disable the ABS on our cars as well.... since we don't want to rely on electronics and we all need to be 1337 drivers.

Seems like mentioning ABS on GTAM is synonymous with measuring your junk.

That makes me still a newbie after 30+ years of riding. Did appreciate abs after avoiding 3 deer as I rounded a corner in the rain on VA 311 last May.

At my age, my reflexes are not as sharp as you MotoGP stars so I am happy with abs, radial tires and the best safety gear I can afford.

Didn't you know ABS is for n00bs? Alright everybody let's go disable the ABS on our cars as well.... since we don't want to rely on electronics and we all need to be 1337 drivers.

Seems like mentioning ABS on GTAM is synonymous with measuring your junk.

lol. motoGP stars. There just no point in arguing it i suppose. The uber skillz anti-abs crowd will always in every situation be able to out perform
anyone else on an abs bike. And for that matter they probably do not even need safety gear or even a helmet. After all, uber skillz so they wont
ever crash.

i guess i better get a message off to Keith Code at the California Superbike School and tell him he is wrong.

"The full article is posted below but to sum it up Keith replaced the 600cc bikes he was using at the race school with the BMW S1000RR. The S1000RR is one of the fastest production sport bikes on the market, it is a rocket. So, new racing students + super fast bike = more motorcycle accidents, right? Not right, the S1000RR’s are equipped with ABS and Traction Control. The frequency of on track accidents have dropped DRAMATICALLY. All of this on a bike with loads more HP and speed potential than in the past. Read the article below for a full explanation from Keith."

http://www.ridergroups.com/402/keith-code-motorcycle-technology-can-save-your-life/

Back
Top Bottom