Yamaha. WTF !! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha. WTF !!

I have ABS on my '14 KTM 690 Enduro... Love it. ABS helps when the conditions are utter ****, like when it's wet and there is sand/oil all over the road. Although most people on here only ride their bike when there are no clouds and 20C+

I've ridden for years with different bikes, and never felt the need for ABS.... but it does actually help. I've had a few situations where the ABS has engaged in the rain.... Mind you i'm running knobbie tires.

Anyways its proven statistically that ABS dramatically increases safety, so that's not a bad thing. Not really sure where all the hate comes from...

I wonder how many accidents this year could have been avoided by having ABS.....
Until you forget to disengage it when riding the single track in Simcoe County forests, eh?

none... Im an ABS hater btw

More than one. Which means it makes sense to have.

The guys without it need a few practice runs before they can match my stopping distances.
Well, you don't get practice runs when it hits the fan.

lol. only took 6 posts before the "learn to ride" abs haters jumped in. So you think everyone with abs just clamps down hard on the brakes to stop?

Pretty much, yes. I mean that's the whole selling point, "safety" benefit from the ABS feature: no need to modulate in any emergency situation, or on wet roads...just grab a handfull without fear of locking up the front.

Can one not still threshold brake on an abs bike?

Absolutely, but at some point, the ABS/computer takes over, and over the years, modulation skills, not being needed, are lost.

If anything it safer to practice threshold braking on an abs bike.

Exactly...no need to have any great skill...ABS will "save" you. So really, how could one ever learn modulation to the fullest extent? Can't because the computer takes over.

As when you activate abs you have gone too far but if you do same on a non-abs bike you on your face if you lock front wheel.

Not necessarily. I've slid the front numerous times and have not gone down.

I have had bikes with and without abs, never felt the abs activate even on some panic stops.

So, it was of no value in those circumstances.

Just do not understand the haters when abs is offered as an option. You want it,
get it. You dont, buy bike without it.

And there in lies the rub for me when it comes to abs: I don't want it, but it comes standard on most if not all of the new bikes I'd want to buy...I have no option but to take it..or leave it.

As for Yamaha and the FZ07 / FZ09. The thing is (as i said in my op) Yamaha does not even have to do anything special to offer abs on these bikes. The Australian and EU Yamaha models (MT07 / MT09) have abs. (Australian models abs is an option)
If anything it would be cheaper for Yamaha as they just have to make one world model instead of 2 variations 1 for NA and 1 for the rest of the world.
Or even better (since they already do it for Australia) just give us in NA the option. As i said. Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki already do this.

There are many models that Yamaha sells that have ABS...most of the ones I'd want. If you really want a Yamaha with ABS, I'm sure you could find one. EG: The FJ09 has it standard.

I'm not an ABS "hater"...I just don't want it for me, not only for the original increase in purchase price, but for the more complicated servicing, (I can't say just how many threads I've seen about issues with bleeding ABS brakes, when it's a breeze without ABS) not to mention the very high price of repairs and parts: 2000.00 for pumps? But, because of ABS "lovers" I *must* take it, if I want a new bike of my liking...no option.

Yamaha has avoided abs on bikes for years, the FZ1 still does not have it despite being offered in other markets and have killed that great bike for that reason. ABS is a given now on any bike over 100 BHP.

There must be some concern by their company on product liability to have them avoid installing abs. Their FZ9 is way too powerful a bike to not have abs or traction/ wheelie control especially when they are targeting the bike with the aggressive price point toward young beginner to intermediate riders. ...

Nonsense. The power a bike makes has nothing to do with the *need* for rider "aids" like abs. The inability of a rider to control/modulate a powerful bike is the reason why manufacturers add extraneous technologies and call them "safety" features, instead of "any idiot can ride this expensive, high profit margin bike". The problem is not that of an inexperienced rider buying a powerful bike laden with "safety" features, like abs, tc etc, but that the rider, like you apparently, will *believe* he is safe and can handle the bike, and then gets into problems where the technology will not save his butt. EG No rider aid for target fixation.

Not having technology that promises safety for inexperienced riders whose egos are too frail to ride bikes with lesser power/stature, makes a rider use more discretion, and heightens his road awareness, and demands he learn skills the old fashioned way...with experience instead of shortcuts. All good things.

Much like CNC and other computerised manufacturing programs turns once highly skilled craftsmen into machine operators, so does modern MC technologies turn once highly involved riders into twist, push, pull control operators.

Abs is a nice OPTION to have on a bike but it should stay as that. I bought my FZ-07 knowing that the NA model did not have ABS. I'm totally fine with that. Even if it were available as an option I still would not get it. I feel no need for a breaking assist on a commuter bike that is only 400 lbs. I'd rather put the money into better tires, suspension, calipers, rotors and pads. On bigger bikes (700 lbs and up) yeah abs is definitely beneficial.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

17 years of riding, over 150,000 km of riding and I've never felt a need for ABS. I'm sure there are many younger riders who've had these types of interventions in their cars and bikes as long as they've been able to drive/ride. I'm not saying ABS is a bad thing, but it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. If you're going to keep a bike for the long term, it's one less computer based option that will cost a butt load to fix down the road.

As for the comment about all bikes over 100hp needing ABS, they've been building bikes over 100hp for a LONG time without it. It shouldn't be up to the manufacturers to add the nanny systems to their bikes to ensure the rider is safe. It should be up to the rider to know their experience and skill level and buy a bike accordingly. If you don't have the experience/skill to ride a bike with that kind of power, be a GROWN UP and don't buy one. Lots of thrilling bikes to buy in the intermediate level.

The Canadian Suzuki GSX-S750 has ABS but the GSX-R750 does not. Go figure lol

Yamaha isn't the only one that's making ppl scratch their heads; I don't see why they don't include it as an option. Frankly I don't give a **** about ABS though and wouldn't get it if it cost $1000+ like Honda did with the "A" models before.

ABS costs a lot of $$$ to repair/replace when it fails.
When it packed up on my old beater car, my mechanic said 'just put some electrical tape over the warning light'.
Its not just the initial cost, its also later on.

LOL at the haters with " learn how to ride" comments.....

Do you know how modern motogp bikes nowaday? Motogp riders got all the aids and gadgets they need.

Ppl are just scared to change. Same ****** arguments when double clutch/ paddle shift comes to sport car.... Yet f1 has been using it forever...

[video=youtube;dJ_UkAFW6cA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_UkAFW6cA[/video]

No idea why people are against ABS. It works and works well. I am on my 2nd bike with ABS, both BMW. My first was a 1200GS that had a lot of issues with the ABS servos... I never had an issue. My 2010 GSA has ABS as well and never an issue. How many ABS systems are failing out there? When they do, I am pretty certain they are a low low percentage.

I feel like those videos are slightly misleading. They show the non abs rider lock his wheels constantly. That just looks artificial. I ride my bike in all kinds of weather. You aren't trained to clamp down on both brakes, locking both wheels up and wait for a spin. The person in this video was not trying to keep his bike upright. He has those training wheels on, so he behaved knowing he wouldn't wipe out. I don't doubt what ABS can do, but that video is showing the benefits of ABS if the rider has NO clue how to ride without ABS in adverse conditions. I got my bike knowing that I didn't want ABS. Maybe if I owned a Harley or some other bike that is VERY heavy I could see it being more useful.

No idea why people are against ABS. It works and works well. I am on my 2nd bike with ABS, both BMW. My first was a 1200GS that had a lot of issues with the ABS servos... I never had an issue. My 2010 GSA has ABS as well and never an issue. How many ABS systems are failing out there? When they do, I am pretty certain they are a low low percentage.

Hmmm...you're a BMW owner who's not aware of failing ABS systems? I guess you're are equally unaware of failing drive shafts and final drives either. But then again, your user name is wondering, so I guess you like to wonder about things, but why wonder, when a simple search will yield all types of ABS issues, including failures like this $3000.00 BMW failure:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?21924-02-K1200LT-abs-brake-failure-warning-light

ABS will and does break down; when it does, it's very expenisve to fix. ABS can cause other servicing headaches as well, i.e. there are certain bikes whose shocks can't be removed, without having to move, as in remove, the abs pump, and then having to deal with all the concomitant problems of bleeding the ABS plumbing as another example.

Oh, and by the way, the stopping on a wet pad BS video displayed above, is ridiculous. Who TF does not slow down in the wet? Give me side by side comparisons of an ABS equipped bike stopping in the wet at 30 mph, and a non abs bike stopping at slower speeds, say 25 or 20 mph, considering most riders will slow down in the wet, and get back to me about the results. That type of nonsense, i.e. comparing braking distances in unrealistic situations, only undermines the credibility of ABS proponents. Real riders will slow down in the wet. Or, OTOH, if the *real* message about abs and other rider aids is that you can ride without caution, beating all others to the coffee shop, as their real benefit, then yes, I agree, abs will help careless riders taking higher risks to better perform on real world roads. But, tell that to the police office who asks why you were not riding according to road conditions when you try and explian to him how safe your bike was supposed to be, after you crash in the rain doing the speed limit instead of using discretion and riding according to the road conditions.

I'm not an ABS hater, I just don't want it on my bike.

Last edited:

Do you know how modern motogp bikes nowaday? Motogp riders got all the aids and gadgets they need.

Ppl are just scared to change. Same ****** arguments when double clutch/ paddle shift comes to sport car.... Yet f1 has been using it forever...

MASSIVE difference between a MotoGP bike and F1 race car vs about 99% of sport bikes and sport cars available for the street. If you're riding a 350 lb bike with 250+hp flat out around a race track, abs, traction control and all the assistance you can get is great. When you're riding a street bike down an 80km/hr road for an ice cream, it certainly isn't a must.

I'm sure ABS is a nice piece of mind to have, but none of my bikes have ever had it and I've never come across a situation that I felt I needed it. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I liked a bike. I have a tendency to keep bikes a long time and not sure if I'd want to have to fix a 10yr old ABS system when it goes on the fritz.

Exactly: rider aids let you go faster....on public roads, like a MotoGP racer, on world class tracks.

Okay Valentino Marques...you're a good representative of the underlying appeal of rider aids: go faster, without having to learn how. BTW, any real racer would tell you to keep the speed for the track.

Ohh...you're not speeding on public roads you say? Then why TF do you need rider aids?

Hmmm...you're a BMW owner who's not aware of failing ABS systems? I guess you're are equally unaware of failing drive shafts and final drives either. But then again, your user name is wondering, so I guess you like to wonder about things, but why wonder, when a simple search will yield all types of ABS issues, including failures like this $3000.00 BMW failure:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?21924-02-K1200LT-abs-brake-failure-warning-light

ABS will and does break down; when it does, it's very expenisve to fix. ABS can cause other servicing headaches as well, i.e. there are certain bikes whose shocks can't be removed, without having to move, as in remove, the abs pump, and then having to deal with all the concomitant problems of bleeding the ABS plumbing as another example.

Oh, and by the way, the stopping on a wet pad BS video displayed above, is ridiculous. Who TF does not slow down in the wet? Give me side by side comparisons of an ABS equipped bike stopping in the wet at 30 mph, and a non abs bike stopping at slower speeds, say 25 or 20 mph, considering most riders will slow down in the wet, and get back to me about the results. That type of nonsense, i.e. comparing braking distances in unrealistic situations, only undermines the credibility of ABS proponents. Real riders will slow down in the wet. Or, OTOH, if the *real* message about abs and other rider aids is that you can ride without caution, beating all others to the coffee shop, as their real benefit, then yes, I agree, abs will help careless riders taking higher risks to better perform on real world roads. But, tell that to the police office who asks why you were not riding according to road conditions when you try and explian to him how safe your bike was supposed to be, after you crash in the rain doing the speed limit instead of using discretion and riding according to the road conditions.

I'm not an ABS hater, I just don't want it on my bike.

I am well aware of the issues that were there. That link is from 2007 and the last post is 2012. I am also aware of the final drive issues that happened ages ago. These issues have been resolved for the most part and are no where near common anymore. If anything the video shows the difference of locking wheels up and having ABS.

Are you sure moto gp uses abs? All the racers I know personally, disable abs as soon as they get the bike.

I am well aware of the issues that were there. That link is from 2007 and the last post is 2012. I am also aware of the final drive issues that happened ages ago. These issues have been resolved for the most part and are no where near common anymore. If anything the video shows the difference of locking wheels up and having ABS.

It shows what happens if you do not know how to ride. That is all.

I've heard that drum brakes are pretty much bullet proof, and should be less expensive to boot.

Why not throw a pair of those on you bike for tootling around town?

I wonder if this same argument came out during the switch to disc brakes?

I've heard that drum brakes are pretty much bullet proof, and should be less expensive to boot.

Why not throw a pair of those on you bike for tootling around town?

I wonder if this same argument came out during the switch to disc brakes?

Being (ahem) old enough to remember, no it did not....

Back
Top Bottom