Windows 10 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Windows 10

That is going to become a problem, as I am discovering tonight.

My Mom (77 years old and knows very little about computers) got sold a HP laptop with 8.1 that is woefully underpowered and under rammed -- only 2gb ram. She hates it. The browser crashes as the memory is maxed out.

First thing I'm going to do is add more memory... but she also prefers 7 as she is used to it. She doesn't like all the little boxes and nonsense. So I tried installing 7 on this machine -- and very few devices were found. No network, no wifi, no USB... and no 7 drivers available from HP as this machine was slapped together for 8.1. So now what do I do? 7 is useless without driver support, and her license didn't get the free bump to 10 yet... and I am not sure if she will like that better.

Well 8.1 actually takes less resources than 7 even though it comes with a built in antivirus. From what I recall 10 is even better. If it's just for the interface there are some very simple solutions tu make 8.1 look like 7.

Whaterver the reptilians spy on us through electricity. Unless you buy old printed playboys with bitcoins the government KNOWS.

Ok, I just install Win 10 on an old laptop that had been regulated to Linux only... a Lenovo SL500 that I had to reduce to 2gb ram as the other chip is bad and was generating blue screens.

I'm surprised at how snappy it is... so far impressed than an OS can look this good on a computer than is probably around 6 or 7 years old!

Yes, 8/8.1 and 10 are both lower on resources than 7 since they were designed to run on tablets. I've actually not had much issue putting 7 on anything that ran XP, as well, unless it has an abysmal amount of ram.

Yes, 8/8.1 and 10 are both lower on resources than 7 since they were designed to run on tablets. I've actually not had much issue putting 7 on anything that ran XP, as well, unless it has an abysmal amount of ram.

I ran a benchmark on the computer my Mom bought at http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/, which tests more than just ssd speed... and my Mom's POS HP tested lower than a dirt cheap HP I got 3 years ago, and lower than the ThinkPad I got 7 years ago. I think it got 17% for CPU and 2% for GPU. I really hope my Mom didn't pay much for this computer, because it is a piece of junk.

In fact, the ThinkPad from 7 years ago with an Intel Core 2 Duo tested higher than every computer in the house... the rest are all AMD.

I'm back on the ThinkPad now, Windows 10, Samsung Evo 850 SSD, and only 2gb ram, and it is working great. I have more RAM on order to keep this rig trucking along for a bit longer, but am keeping an eye out for a deal on a laptop with an i7 processor.

@Motorcycle Mike: wanna race?

The netbook & laptop are both running W10, I suspect my laptop is similar to yours. Much older SSD, but since it is impossible to use the SATA controller in AHCI mode it is otherwise limited there. The netbook is an example of how low you can go with W10 - I won't lie and say that it's a pleasure to use, but it does seem better than it did with Windows XP which was already miserably slow. The old desktop is an example of a old, old, OLD AMD machine. It is a fossil, I have taken it apart three times due to the heatsink being caked with dust. I technically did buy it when it was new for my parents (for $200). I mention all that because I'm curious about how it stacks up against the AMD desktop you mention, and how recent it is

bestbuy's selling notebooks for $200...

Yes, and a $200 laptop will likely get you what my Mom got... a computer that crashes just trying to run a browser and benchmarks slower than a 7 year old laptop.

No thanks.

I will get either an intel i5 or an i7 this time around.

Yes, and a $200 laptop will likely get you what my Mom got... a computer that crashes just trying to run a browser and benchmarks slower than a 7 year old laptop.

No thanks.

I will get either an intel i5 or an i7 this time around.

That's probably what your mom got (I hope). Otherwise she overpaid.

Not a heavy user of Win 10, but I do like it save for one annoying feature. I get pop ups from the OS asking if I want to buy or try Office 365. I am sure there is some way to turn it off, just have not looked yet. Really do not like the idea of OS wide spam to try and sell software.

Not a heavy user of Win 10, but I do like it save for one annoying feature. I get pop ups from the OS asking if I want to buy or try Office 365. I am sure there is some way to turn it off, just have not looked yet. Really do not like the idea of OS wide spam to try and sell software.

There is a app on the tile side of the Start menu called "Get Office" - right click on it uninstall it and the notifications will stop (I wasn't impressed with it either)

And even better all the spying is being retrofitted to 7 & 8

By spying are you referring to Windows information collection or RATs (Remote Administration Tools - Virus)?

RATs are programmed per operating system regardless of version.

Fortunately, it appears that users in this instance can configure Windows firewall and routers to block the traffic, and users can avoid much of the snooping by opting out of the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP)

So what changes to the firewall need to be done...

Spying on me or not, I am impressed with Windows 10.

A year or more ago I was tired with how slow Windows 7 became over time and I switched to linux.
I was running Mint for at least a year on both my main laptop and my media server laptop. It was a bit of a pain in that I had to dual boot in order to run Mapsource/Basecamp and GuitarRig.

Since installing Win 10, I have become so impressed with the speed of Win 10 on old hardware and the ease in which to connect media that I now have both switched and everything is running great.

Even faster than Mint ran on my POS laptops. Bye to linux, at least for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom