Windows 10 | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Windows 10

I'm sure it is more convenient for a person to right click, compress the collection in a zip, and sharing with a couple/tens/hundreds/thousands of people than to go out to buy those albums or even download it off youtube one at a time.

Not that I really care, but it is what it is... The moment the big record companies say "go ahead, rip the music and share it" is the day their profits plunge from the not so tech savvy people as well as their online sales.

A whole lot of money is dumped in to take down people posting copyrighted music online, there's no reason for them to start allowing people and providing the resources and rights to do so. The people posting copyrighted music on youtube aren't doing it for free, or to share. They're doing it to make a profit in views/ads. (unless it's the record company posting it)

There's a difference between posting on line and copying onto your MP3 player. Most people don't even know how to share their music never mind post it to a torrent site or Usenet. It currently legal for us to make personal copies for personal use, no different than making mix tapes.

A whole lot of money is dumped in to take down people posting copyrighted music online, there's no reason for them to start allowing people and providing the resources and rights to do so. The people posting copyrighted music on youtube aren't doing it for free, or to share. They're doing it to make a profit in views/ads.

The copyright content system on Youtube prevents that - a copyright holder can actually choose to collect the profit from a video that someone else uploaded, if it contains their content (e.g. music)

There's a difference between posting on line and copying onto your MP3 player. Most people don't even know how to share their music never mind post it to a torrent site or Usenet. It currently legal for us to make personal copies for personal use, no different than making mix tapes.

Its not whether or not a person knows how to share their music or not, it's whether its allowed or not.

I don't know about the statement about "Most people don't know how to share their music" - could be dependent on age group as I can easily say 90% of the people I know, know how to rip and share music. (This can also be the result of my line of work and what I went to school for).

It would be stupid of them to say "Most people don't know how to rip/share music, therefore we should allow those who do know how".

As mentioned by someone earlier, it isn't hard to share/replicate a 50GB hard drive worth of music or movies, storage in an mp3 player is no different.

The copyright content system on Youtube prevents that - a copyright holder can actually choose to collect the profit from a video that someone else uploaded, if it contains their content (e.g. music)

Though youtube isn't the only place to rip music, most torrent sites don't give a f..

I just keep loving windows 10 every day. Everything is so much more connected, and the fact that I can record the last 30 seconds of my screen is really helping on my PC gaming.

Planning for the future here ...

I'm typing this on a Windows 7 laptop, I go through a laptop every couple of years (using them for work beats the crap out of them), I am 6 months into this one ... it was the last Windows 7 laptop that I could find. The CD that came with the laptop said Windows 8, but what was actually on it was Windows 7. I'll take it.

Regardless of whether Microsoft "fixed" the user interface ... I am much more concerned with functionality than playing games and I am NOT OK with Windows reporting everything I do back to the mother ship.

If I am going to have to learn another user interface then it might as well be Linux ... Looking at www.linuxmint.com

We use public domain software wherever possible - Firefox for internet, LibreOffice for the work related crap. Both are available for Linux so that is not a problem.

The problem is the other stuff ... Video editing software (nothing special, just the software that came with my Nikon digital camera), Autocad (just the viewer, don't need to edit files), eDrawings (this is the viewer for SolidWorks), AllenBradley RSLogix. Don't care about playing games. Need the serious stuff ... All of this is pretty much Windows only. No Linux, no Apple.

I see that there is an accessory that claims to be able to run Windows applications within Linux. It seems to have mixed reviews. Some people claim it works fine. Others, not so much.

Comments? Is it possible for a non-computer-geek to actually function within Linux while using real Windows applications??

Allot of the reports about how bad windows 10 is for privacy are over stated they really arn't taking or scanning copies of your local files to look for copy righted material unless you are using the cloud service then they are using obfuscated key word scanning in you email and Docs to sell you stuff google does this too. The EULA that states they will look into your **** if they suspect you of interfering with their servers or service or if asked to by law enforcement is a standard thing in all platforms APPLE and Google have almost identical statements

However it is noisy in other ways and has a allot of features like their peer distribution system that is is turned on by default and is WAY to hard to turn of for such an bandwidth intensive thing. Thats the big criticism is that its been way to hard to turn off.

You can turn off just about all their crap simply with the following tool and its windows certified . You can even turn of internet access to their DRM tool witch i recommend

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
I really wish that I understood any of what you wrote there.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Comments? Is it possible for a non-computer-geek to actually function within Linux while using real Windows applications??

You can try running them via WINE, I have no recent first hand experience with that. Windows 7 isn't EOL until January 14, 2020 anyway. If Windows 10 gets better in the interim you still have up until July 2016 to change your mind on the free upgrade.

I'm a computer geek that is pretty decent with Linux and it's still not worth the hassle to me if you need Windows apps. Although I haven't really played with Wine much recently.

Try Googling a few apps you use and how to run them in Wine and see how complicated it sounds. If you think you can deal with it, give it a try.

You could always try dual booting for awhile.

Virtual Box works well, too, but if the majority of your apps are Windows you'll just end up using Windows virtually all the time so what's the point?

Last edited:
Wine if for running counterstrike if you have a week...

VM ware and qemu(whatever its called after oracle bought it) can give you a very functional windows 7 or xp enviroment in linux. At that point why not just downgrade the system to 7.

VM ware and qemu(whatever its called after oracle bought it) can give you a very functional windows 7 or xp enviroment in linux. At that point why not just downgrade the system to 7.

That is going to become a problem, as I am discovering tonight.

My Mom (77 years old and knows very little about computers) got sold a HP laptop with 8.1 that is woefully underpowered and under rammed -- only 2gb ram. She hates it. The browser crashes as the memory is maxed out.

First thing I'm going to do is add more memory... but she also prefers 7 as she is used to it. She doesn't like all the little boxes and nonsense. So I tried installing 7 on this machine -- and very few devices were found. No network, no wifi, no USB... and no 7 drivers available from HP as this machine was slapped together for 8.1. So now what do I do? 7 is useless without driver support, and her license didn't get the free bump to 10 yet... and I am not sure if she will like that better.

My Mom (77 years old and knows very little about computers) got sold a HP laptop with 8.1 that is woefully underpowered and under rammed -- only 2gb ram. She hates it. The browser crashes as the memory is maxed out.

First thing I'm going to do is add more memory... but she also prefers 7 as she is used to it. She doesn't like all the little boxes and nonsense. So I tried installing 7 on this machine -- and very few devices were found. No network, no wifi, no USB... and no 7 drivers available from HP as this machine was slapped together for 8.1. So now what do I do? 7 is useless without driver support, and her license didn't get the free bump to 10 yet... and I am not sure if she will like that better.

The vast, vast majority of PC hardware out there that has Windows drivers, will have drivers for Windows 7. HP didn't make any of those devices that are in that laptop, so you need to find out what those devices are and go to the manufacturer or something like Station Drivers. If (when running 8.1) it didn't get the pop-up for Windows 10, make sure ALL recommended/optional updates are installed. Otherwise go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Did you format your hard drive before you installed Windows 7?

It is entirely possible that the W8 drivers are compatible with some of the W7 drivers that are missing. If that is the case, go to your device manager, find out which drivers are missing, and manually search for drivers in C:\Windows\system32.
The majority of the W8 drivers should work with W7. Otherwise, if you can find out exactly what hardware you have which can be found in System Information, you can go to the hardware manufacturer's site and download the drivers straight from there.

The vast, vast majority of PC hardware out there that has Windows drivers, will have drivers for Windows 7. HP didn't make any of those devices that are in that laptop, so you need to find out what those devices are and go to the manufacturer or something like Station Drivers. If (when running 8.1) it didn't get the pop-up for Windows 10, make sure ALL recommended/optional updates are installed. Otherwise go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Yep, that is what I had to do... but it was a royal pain in the *** especially considering my network drivers didn't work.

I discovered 3dpchip and 3dpnet though http://www.3dpchip.com/index_3dpchip_pre.html... 3dpnet basically has most of the network and wifi drivers out there, so it gets your internet up and running and then you can go hunting for other drivers from there. What a complete PITA though... friggin HP not bothering to put them on their website to make life easier.

And yes I had to format C: completely... because after turning the secure boot nonsense off just to be able to boot from a USB (and luckily this bios has a legacy mode) I then had to convert the drive from GPT to MBR which maybe can be done without wiping the disc, but I found it easier just to boot up a linux live USB and use Gparted to wipe all.

They aren't making it simpler to wipe a drive and start from scratch these days, that I found out.

So I figured out how to make it work this time... but how long until new hardware just doesn't have Windows 7 drivers available?

I'm typing this on a Windows 7 laptop, I go through a laptop every couple of years (using them for work beats the crap out of them), I am 6 months into this one ... it was the last Windows 7 laptop that I could find. The CD that came with the laptop said Windows 8, but what was actually on it was Windows 7. I'll take it.

Regardless of whether Microsoft "fixed" the user interface ... I am much more concerned with functionality than playing games and I am NOT OK with Windows reporting everything I do back to the mother ship.

If I am going to have to learn another user interface then it might as well be Linux ... Looking at www.linuxmint.com

We use public domain software wherever possible - Firefox for internet, LibreOffice for the work related crap. Both are available for Linux so that is not a problem.

The problem is the other stuff ... Video editing software (nothing special, just the software that came with my Nikon digital camera), Autocad (just the viewer, don't need to edit files), eDrawings (this is the viewer for SolidWorks), AllenBradley RSLogix. Don't care about playing games. Need the serious stuff ... All of this is pretty much Windows only. No Linux, no Apple.

I see that there is an accessory that claims to be able to run Windows applications within Linux. It seems to have mixed reviews. Some people claim it works fine. Others, not so much.

The link I provided earlier turns out to be an incorrect evaluation of Win 10

Word on the net is that MS is still plundering some info from Win 10 users regardless of privacy settings.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...iable-data-microsoft-despite-privacy-settings

And

http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10

I'll try to upgrade to 10 offline, and if I can't then I'm sticking with 7.
That was based on the development version, which needed to track and report all the users activity in order to allow the software to be developed. The public release version apparently doesn't do any of that.

So I figured out how to make it work this time... but how long until new hardware just doesn't have Windows 7 drivers available?

A fair question. As an example, AMD published the last driver suite for their GPUs for Windows XP on April 25, 2014. Windows XP itself reached EOL (end of life) a week before on April 18, 2014. I would not expect Windows 7 to be as well supported in this regard as XP has been extremely difficult for Microsoft to displace from the market. This is part of the reason why MS handed out free upgrades for W10 - they are trying to consolidate their nightmare of supporting 4+ consumer operating systems.

Apple has a lot of video editing software. There's a mac version of Autocad, eDrawings. I couldn't find anything about Allen Bradley RSLogix other than people had successfully run it in bootcamp/parallels/vmware back in 2006.

eDrawings is not Autocad; it is the viewer for SolidWorks, not Autocad. It will display Autocad .dwg files ... good enough.

Autodesk's viewer is Windows only: http://static-dc.autodesk.net/conte...cts/DWG Viewer/docs/pdf/DWG_TrueView_2016.pdf

SolidWorks is Windows only for the main software, but it appears that eDrawings will work with Windows and Apple: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

No Linux ...

I was saying there was an autocad for OSX http://www.autodesk.com/solutions/mac-compatible-software
and yes theres an edrawings program for osx http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/ed/edrawings-mac.htm

Back
Top Bottom