What are your lap times? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are your lap times?

Your times aren't bad corsara. I had the exact same questions as you (well sorta lol) when I started last year. I timed my very first day, and every one after that. How are you suppost to how much your progressing if you don't time yourself? It's not to say how awesome you are but it lets you set realistic personal goals, what's everyone's problem? I've been there 4 times I think and started at 1:30 got down to 1:20. I don't remember the track record but pretty sure race pace for the fast guys was 1:15 or less. Now if you wanted to know Bogie or Shannonville I'm sure Shamen has a video of his genitialia to whip out.

The problem is using other people's times from other days on other bikes with all sorts of other variables as a yardstick. Sure, you can compare your own laptimes during the day or through the year, but even that is touchy. A rider could be gradually improving throughout the year but because of the warming and then cooling weather, it will seem at first as if he isn't making any progress and then at the end of the year all of a sudden it will seem like he made a big jump forward.

Or comparing times through the day, if you want to be precise about it, means setting a baseline lap time from the start and then if any changes are made through the day, you should revert to that baseline setup (or technique, if that's what you're working on) to re-establish how performance has changed simply due to the environment. A competent test is one where you do an A-B-A test, A being the baseline setup and B being the modified configuration. An effective testing day will run A-B-C-D-A-E-F-G-A-H-I-J-A because the environment changes that much in one day.

All that to say, don't worry about your lap times unless you're testing or qualifying. Maybe it's important during an endurance race too, for strategy? I dunno about that.

mosport is a true racers track...no mention of lap times here. are you guys affaid of a man's track?

Im going to disagree with most that have posted on here. A lap timer can be the best way to drop you times. One of the best learning tools that you can buy.....if you use it right. if you go out and run the same times every lap than you are prolly not changing anything. you times should be going up and down. make a change to you bike or riding and see if it improves your times. if it does make another change and repeat until your time improve each time.

as far as times at TMP, the record is held by a 600 and its a 1:14.00. Anyone faster than 1:20 should be in the red group. be aware that there are plenty of people that can run in the 1:16 and 1:17 range and any racer thats there could hit low 1:15's every lap and faster even at a trackday. Most racers on here will not post their own times because they know it means nothing on forums. Most would rather just help you out.

As for this Mosport comment ^^^^ fast is fast no matter what track it is at.

mosport is a true racers track...no mention of lap times here. are you guys afraid of a dangerous track?

Fixed that for you.

Im going to disagree with most that have posted on here. A lap timer can be the best way to drop you times. One of the best learning tools that you can buy.....if you use it right. if you go out and run the same times every lap than you are prolly not changing anything. you times should be going up and down. make a change to you bike or riding and see if it improves your times. if it does make another change and repeat until your time improve each time.

as far as times at TMP, the record is held by a 600 and its a 1:14.00. Anyone faster than 1:20 should be in the red group. be aware that there are plenty of people that can run in the 1:16 and 1:17 range and any racer thats there could hit low 1:15's every lap and faster even at a trackday. Most racers on here will not post their own times because they know it means nothing on forums. Most would rather just help you out.

As for this Mosport comment ^^^^ fast is fast no matter what track it is at.

I think the record is in the 1:12s... I know I'm not that close to lap record pace. lol

I'm not even going to bother buying one until I feel like I'm getting better. Right now would be a waste of money cuz I know I'm slow. Lol

A typical GPS phone is 1Hz and therefore can be 1 or 2 seconds off with a missed ping here or there.

However a fairly cheap, ~$70 solution is a 10Hz GPS receiver.

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS Products/BT-Q818XT-F.htm

10 pings up to the satellite per second, so even if the odd 1 or 2 are off, the inaccuracy is down to the 10ths. Connects with your phone via bluetooth. Run RaceChrono on your phone and you have a data logger that will map out each lap and record acceleration and deceleration data. You can compile the data and produce even further analysis charts using Performance Box on your PC. You'll be able to see when you get on and off the power, mapped and graphed lap after lap and study which corners you took better and when. Compile your own best corners and realize your perfect lap potential also!

Performance Box
http://www.performancebox.co.uk/dlsoftware.html

RaceChrono:
http://www.racechrono.com/

Here is the end product after some editing:
[video=youtube;hx0-g9Hy7so]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx0-g9Hy7so&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is my best lap of the day, but the video is composed of several runs.

Last edited:
TMP lap record was set and fell 6 times that race between Jody and Scott Rupert back and forth. IMO Lap times have one useful purpose thats testing parts tires setup etc. I love it when racers come and want to know their laptimes.

Racer: Do you have my times?
Me: Did you win?
Racer: I was """""" .
Me:Then your no fast enough :)

Lap times are a PIA it was only a few years ago (maybe 10) that systems came into place to record times. Before that races were scored manually and records were set when someone in the tower suggested so and so looks quick and they would manually put a watch on them. Which is ripe witrh flaws and hence some lap records were a farce because of an over zealous stup watch thumb.
That said this year I hope to have a state of the art system. We hired a programmer a year ago to design and build a proprietary system that will do things that none other will. I was hoping to have an example at the banquet next month for a demo but we are looking at the practice weekend now. I am sick of spending thousands for systems with spotty results and pisss poor tech support.

Back when I raced with CASC-OR Solo-1 (before it was ruined by insurance and... but I digress) they had their own lap tracking and timing software, which was very complete and very accurate. I'll be d4mned if I can remember the programmer's name but he was a competitor with a keen interest in making it work, which always makes a good thing better. This was before the dawn of tranceivers being widely used, it was all done with timing lights.

I don't know if that's any help. If the software is still around it might be insanely powerful now, because we were using it in 2000, maybe earlier.

Lap times. What a subject!

Are we talking best ever lap or where you consistantly lap at?

Big diff there...

Back when I raced with CASC-OR Solo-1 (before it was ruined by insurance and... but I digress) they had their own lap tracking and timing software, which was very complete and very accurate. I'll be d4mned if I can remember the programmer's name but he was a competitor with a keen interest in making it work, which always makes a good thing better. This was before the dawn of tranceivers being widely used, it was all done with timing lights.

I don't know if that's any help. If the software is still around it might be insanely powerful now, because we were using it in 2000, maybe earlier.

I know that style which does work well very similar to drag systems. Problem is it cant do multiple vehicles. The systems now ALL suck. They are expensive and not dependable. Our systems tech guy could have been anywhere in the world and usually was. Trying to get tech support at TMP while he was in Australia was a giggle. Thats why I am doing my own. I can tell a programmer exactly what I want and he can do it. He has some wicked ideas as well that our guys are going to love. Best part is he is 15 min from my house and will always be available if we need tech support at an event. Cant freaking wait. The timing girls work so hard and its not fair. There is little to nothing I can do to lessen the load but hopefully this will do it and no cost to the racer.

A typical GPS phone is 1Hz and therefore can be 1 or 2 seconds off with a missed ping here or there.

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q818XT-F.htm

10 pings up to the satellite per second, so even if the odd 1 or 2 are off, the inaccuracy is down to the 10ths. Connects with your phone via bluetooth. Run RaceChrono on your phone and you have a data logger that will map out each lap and record acceleration and deceleration data. You can compile the data and produce even further analysis charts using Performance Box on your PC. You'll be able to see when you get on and off the power, mapped and graphed lap after lap and study which corners you took better and when. Compile your own best corners and realize your perfect lap potential also!

Performance Box
http://www.performancebox.co.uk/dlsoftware.html

RaceChrono:
http://www.racechrono.com/

Here is the end product after some editing:
[video=youtube;hx0-g9Hy7so]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx0-g9Hy7so&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is my best lap of the day, but the video is composed of several runs.
Hokey **** that track is a mess. It's falling apart lol when was that vid from?

Shannonville has looked like that for years.

Ken: it sounds like you're getting what you want, although everything you're talking about was being done back then by the software I'm describing, it was set up by the programmer specifically for Solo-1 and Solo-2. I have no idea what happened to it or if he left the series like I did because they made fast cars useless by coning off the fast sections of the tracks and favouring small FWD car owners. The series doesn't exist today, so I don't have a clue where the software got to or if the programmer kept racing in the Time Attack series (what used to be considered Solo 2).

I remembered his name, BTW. Victor Del Col.

I figure sooner or later someone will come up with a gps based system for multiple bikes. The company I was dealing with was bought by Tag Hauer and immediately shut down. Cant have those pesky RFID systems taking away from the transponder based dinosaurs.......

I'm not even going to bother buying one until I feel like I'm getting better. Right now would be a waste of money cuz I know I'm slow. Lol

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS Products/BT-Q818XT-F.htm

10 pings up to the satellite per second, so even if the odd 1 or 2 are off, the inaccuracy is down to the 10ths. Connects with your phone via bluetooth.

That's exactly what I have for this season. Qstarz bt818xt, and also bought a Droid Incredible phone with cracked screen for about 20 bucks off ebay, replaced the screen, which cost me $10 and 30 mins of my time. Tested the combo in my car around the block with the TrackMaster app, works like a charm. Exported the data to Google earth, shows me acceleration, braking, g forces, speed, all kinds of stats, can even replay the sequence on google earth, analyze data.. Figured this should keep me for some time after each track day, extend the fun of it, also I think useful, especially if I see that I was cruising at some places..

Speaking of which, I was just working on the bike in the garage and removed my Chinese basic timer. It did the job for what it's supposed to do, Xtina, you can have it if you want, 20 bucks or whatever you have in your pockets, comes with its own beacon.

TMP lap record was set and fell 6 times that race between Jody and Scott Rupert back and forth.

I bought one of Jodi's old bickle warmer set, karma will now help with my lap times ;)

Last edited:
I figure sooner or later someone will come up with a gps based system for multiple bikes. The company I was dealing with was bought by Tag Hauer and immediately shut down. Cant have those pesky RFID systems taking away from the transponder based dinosaurs.......

Probably not what you need, but just in case, also you might see some idea to refine your design: TrackMaster Live View.

My lap times = are not fast enough for me yet... Thats why I keep going back and trying to improve :)

That's why I am going to race again, need more motivation to go faster.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Hokey **** that track is a mess. It's falling apart lol when was that vid from?

That's Shannonville long track. It feels 10 times worse than it looks on that video when one attempts to go race speed on an older bike with damper-rod forks ...

All in good fun. ;)

Back
Top Bottom