The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 182 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

I would go with that as well, do some reading up on what your adjusting and the result you should expect, racetech has a fair bit of literature on setting sag numbers. Is it that your running out of travel, or is the plate just in the way of the suspension travel?

The plate is in the way of the suspension travel, I'm going to try stiffening it up a little, but if that doesn't work, I'll just buy a proper fender eliminator kit. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Or... you can do a rear shock swap out with a ZX14 as well... lots of info on that online. Also is a much better shock.
Did that on the old SV1000, and it made one heck of a difference.

you'd have to go quite a bit lighter with the spring for that shock, but its possible

do you guys have a guesstimate of how much a shock swap would cost? I probably won't be doing it myself, so I'm sure labour is gonna be huge..

certain years of GSXR shock also bolt in without issue. They usually run about $85-125 on Fleabay for a brand new one removed from a bike...

certain years of GSXR shock also bolt in without issue. They usually run about $85-125 on Fleabay for a brand new one removed from a bike...

That's a lot cheaper than I actually expected. I should look into that

Just was outside... rain has stopped and the clouds appear to be clearing a bit at the moment...
Won't be around this weekend, so I figure I had better get a ride in tonight - depending on the weather.
So....
Thursday April 18
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Tim Horton's at University and Bridge Street, Waterloo (just off the expressway)
Duration: about an hour (80 or so km - old crew knows my fave route so that's what I'm thinking)
Pace: M1 friendly (no 400 series highways).

And don't forget to gas up before we go!!!

Last edited:
The plate is in the way of the suspension travel, I'm going to try stiffening it up a little, but if that doesn't work, I'll just buy a proper fender eliminator kit. Thanks for the help

Do you have a picture? It doesn't seem right that this would be happening. I was going to ask if it was lowered or something, but you said it's stock...

There are different sites out there that have recommended suspension settings, they would be worth taking a look, but it doesn't sound like this would fix that.

Thursday April 18
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Tim Horton's at University and Bridge Street, Waterloo (just off the expressway)
Duration: about an hour (80 or so km - old crew knows my fave route so that's what I'm thinking)
Pace: M1 friendly (no 400 series highways).

That's just right by where I'm working. But can't tonight

If the bike has ABS its a bit more complicated than just swapping a shock.

Also if the stock shock is bottoming out its probably done. I weight about what you and the PO weight combined and managed on a stock rear shock lol

Ricor makes a nice shock for the SV and it is only $550 much better than any half a$$ed fix using a shock deigned for another bike.

Rain just to the west of KW now... going to have to cancel that ride...

If the bike has ABS its a bit more complicated than just swapping a shock.

Also if the stock shock is bottoming out its probably done. I weight about what you and the PO weight combined and managed on a stock rear shock lol

I don't think it's bottoming out. I think it's just the plate getting in the way of the suspension travel. Got the tool kit today from the PO so I'll try stiffening it up.

Also, I hope you guys didn't meet up. 6:30 exactly it started pouring like hell

Do you have a picture? It doesn't seem right that this would be happening. I was going to ask if it was lowered or something, but you said it's stock...

There are different sites out there that have recommended suspension settings, they would be worth taking a look, but it doesn't sound like this would fix that.

2013-04-18 16.54.08.jpg

Here's a shot of it. When it was first installed it was angled out the other way but now it's like this. It's in the exact position as where the PO had it. It's some flimsy bracket he made himself...it's pretty bad I should replace that.

Well i was dedicated to come for the ride, im curreny however sitting under the roof of a church onmy bike under the roof of a church as the hail pounds down. Get em next time!

Back
Top Bottom