Stolen motorcycle, reward to finder. (04 ZX636 Silver, spitfire paint job) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stolen motorcycle, reward to finder. (04 ZX636 Silver, spitfire paint job)

Yep, that's correct. Most of them are GPS blockers (under $25, just plugs in your cigarette lighter socket :( ), and I was hoping my device could run on Wind's AWS 1700Mhz network (none of the blockers really do that freq) but no go, none of my peeps in China knew what 1700mhz was, so it'll be using a Rogers sim card ($85/yr for unlimited texting). The device is quad band so I hope that if someone is running a jammer that it at least gets signal from something :( If GPS signal is blocked it can use cell tower triangulation to calculate its position. Not SUPER accurate (usually within 300ft depending on how many towers in range).

Just FYI, you can't record audio without posting lots of signage up (would probably have to be at condo parking entrance and all around your parking spot) and even then the police using it or using it in court is very unlikely :(

My security device has a high gain microphone for when you tell it to "dial 911". It'll tell the 911 operator "I'm a motorcycle and I've just been stolen. I'm currently on King St. heading east towards Simcoe St. at 67 kph, in the town of Oshawa. The registered vehicle owner is So and So and his phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Please begin tracking this phone and I will now enable the high gain microphone so you can hear the thieves. If you wish to hear my current location and direction hit 2 at any time. Live mic now..."

I tested it with the durham regional police and they were able to track it after only about 10 seconds of it calling 911. I'm not sure they'd ever do anything or if they even care, but heck, it's worth a shot :)

You can track it live from any smartphone or computer, overlay on google maps including last known location (in the event the device is "disabled").

Works freakin sweet so far, just need some software stuff finished like the GeoFence set up, be able to text it "arm" and "disarm" commands to enable and disable the geo fence and tilt/motion/shock sensors and also get the cameras working (they work when the cable is 1" long, but over 1ft and it gets no signal from the camera :( ). There's a camera that goes on dash looking back at the "rider", and one under the tail looking to the rear. If you want to get funky you can tell it to record the dash cam in 1080p and the rear cam in 720p at the same time then download the video to a laptop via USB after your track day is done ;) lol.

wow. Sick. cool setup.

Hpvchewy: can you pm me more details about your setup or post in depth somewhere?

I'm not buying a replacement bike (or maybe a decade-old beater) until I get my security resolved. I've got a few ideas but none as impressive I sounding as yours and I'd like to hear more.

My alarm um guessing was ignored as the bike was lifted into a van in the middle of the night or someone dismantled and got to it on the spot.

And I also have the cellphone reception issue in my parking but not entirely. I'd recommend those using cell-based security and GPS to avoid wind as their frequency has low penetration. Bell and rogers and their pay-as-you-go family (Fido, pcfinancial I think, and some others) are much better bets.

Thank you for all the advice in this thread from members so far. Condo parking security sounds widely ******. I may have to move to a nicer area if I want to get another supersport.

Hpvchewy: can you pm me more details about your setup or post in depth somewhere?
I'm waiting till I get my hands on it and test it out before I confirm all the claims my Chinese friends have made :)

It basically uses the motherboard (and cameras) out of a China copy/clone Samsung S3 cell phone (motherboard + extra large battery, no screen). Stick in a $85/yr unlimited text SIM card from Rogers and off ya go. The phone motherboard is running Android 4.1 and plans to use a customized version of the app Cerberus. It uses the phones accelerometer (tilt and G sensors) to determine if the bike is bumped or moved, and the phones GPS and cell network for tracking its location. How I plan to wire it up is it'll charge the "phone" battery every time you start/ride the bike. When the bike is off, it'll run off the "phone" battery until it runs low, then it'll recharge itself and stay powered from the bikes battery (to put the least load on the bike battery as possible). I have a solution for winter storage as well (where there's no outlet available to leave say a battery tender plugged in). It's amazing how long your phone battery lasts when you phone has no screen! :)

Sounds like a cool device.

Personally I pay insurance. Do you think 2+ thieves are just going to stop because you see them or will approach them. It's not two highschool kids stealing bicycles. They are part of organized crime. It's them or you. A bat to your head or a bullet in your body will change your life forever.

On another note, I would not want the bike back.
If once they load that bike it is likely already damaged.
So if the Police gave you back your bike with $1500-$3k in bodywork damage e.g. dented tank and broken plastics...Do you want that bike back? Remember your insurance deductible is $1000 so essentially you will fix that bike out of pocket because you do not want to make a claim for damage that will go against you within their system. Think about it.

Hi -D-,

I've been weighing all those things as well. I largely just want the thieves caught, whether I get my bike back or not (my next bike, if/when I get one, will likely have a $0 deductible policy on it so it won't matter to me personally if the bike gets retrieved or not).

The alarm, realistically, wouldn't ever lead to me confronting the thieves. I'd never get there on-time. I just want their garage raided and the thieves sent to prison and all those bikes returned to their owners. Lots of guys with older bikes have no theft insurance...

Sorry to hear OP's loss.

Just woke up to find my green 2011 ZX-6R gone from my condo underground parking (401 and Leslie) and searched here to see what could be done.

I had comprehensive but will be eating the deductible and probably traveling on four wheels until next season at least so it could be a lot worse.... But bump for OP and thanks to those who provided some input in the thread. Especially those talking about the condo moto thefts. I wish I knew that was a problem.

This is soo close to me. I'm in a condo as well.

Did you have a disc lock or alarm on the bike?

I'm assuming most of these thefts occur overnight?

This would only help after a bike is stolen but what about getting a bunch of those RFID tags and crazy gluing them inside hollow frame members etc. You could read them with a scanner or phone to ID parts.

o0ollo0o: I had an alarm but with my supersport it wouldn't be hard to pick it up at about 420lbs and walk it into a van and I'm assuming that's what was done. For that reason, I don't think a caliper lock (which I didn't have) would have helped much. I think having it chained to something may have helped but even then, I don't know if it would gave been enough. And my parking location doesn't work for one of the solid u-lock style ones.

Jc100: that's a really interesting idea but then the person finding the part (most likely a buyer of used parts) would have to report it stolen and I'd guess they'd be unlikely to do so if they paid for it.

Just saw this now, where in the yonge & eg linton area was it stolen from? I work around there and have been thinking about commuting to work.

So sorry to hear that was stolen, it's a very nice paintjob. I can't even imagine the thought of my bike being taken from me :(

Hi -D-,

I've been weighing all those things as well. I largely just want the thieves caught, whether I get my bike back or not (my next bike, if/when I get one, will likely have a $0 deductible policy on it so it won't matter to me personally if the bike gets retrieved or not).

The alarm, realistically, wouldn't ever lead to me confronting the thieves. I'd never get there on-time. I just want their garage raided and the thieves sent to prison and all those bikes returned to their owners. Lots of guys with older bikes have no theft insurance...

Then find some beacon that you can place inside the bike or somewhere in the engine.
Don't ask me for details :)

Chances are they are using jammers in their wharehouses

We set up my daughters bike with 4 steel car rims filled with concrete and the chains set into the concrete, its a 4 point anchor, each wieghs about 75lbs. It would not stop a motivated thief but you'd look pretty obvious trying to load that mess and cutting 4 chains wont be fast.

We set up my daughters bike with 4 steel car rims filled with concrete and the chains set into the concrete, its a 4 point anchor, each wieghs about 75lbs. It would not stop a motivated thief but you'd look pretty obvious trying to load that mess and cutting 4 chains wont be fast.

I would like to see a picture of this.

Cutting chain isnt as hard as it used to be with modern tools
http://vimeo.com/50576171

Someone needs to make trunk monkeys a reality, then make a motorcycle version. I like how they beat em unconscious then dispose of the body. That's how people who take other people's **** should be dealt with.

Ahh, found this site, seems to be getting popular in US lately, good for search engines, posted stolen info there: http://www.stolen911.com/category/1.../listings/18292/2004-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX6R.html

Good luck darkav, please keep us updated if anything happens.

THREADJACK ALERT: Not sure if this is appropriate since this is still theft-related, but I'm looking at replacing my stolen 2011 ZX-6R with the 2013 ZX-636R (or whatever they call it) now and my condo underground parking actually has a bunch of objects to u-lock my bike to now. I'm thinking of the Kryptonite New York Long Shackle but I'd appreciate any recommendations if there's a better u-lock out there that is big enough that I can easily get it through my rear wheel spoke and some 2" diameter metal fencing.

Thanks in advance/apologies for the threadjack in advance.

that is big enough that I can easily get it through my rear wheel spoke
That'll work great:

34zfz89.jpg

Back
Top Bottom