So who's building a 300 track bike? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

So who's building a 300 track bike?

See below
PM sent
Don't just show up on the Sunday.

Friday is a practice day.
Saturday morning is more practice.
Saturday afternoon are the heat races/qualifying.
Sunday morning is more practice.
Sunday afternoon are the finals.

It's a lot of riding for your money.
My biggest problem is I work exclusively Fri to Sun so I would need to use vacation days to race, I also do multiweek riding vacations every year so I need to save some days for that. I am trying to find a way to work it all in.

PM sent

My biggest problem is I work exclusively Fri to Sun so I would need to use vacation days to race, I also do multiweek riding vacations every year so I need to save some days for that. I am trying to find a way to work it all in.
Lol once you find the magical formula please let me know. This is one of the reasons I only raced endurance this year, I kind of like having a summer life outside racing and 7 full weekends at the track leaves you time for nothing else.

Yep, I recently bought one of Bakaboy's 250's. I did some 250 races this year (2015) with the RACE series at Shannoville and it was a LOT of fun! We need more guys to get involved for 2016!
Shanny's an easy drive up the 401!

Sorry SUPERNAM AND BAKABOY, didn't ref your comments in my reply. Bit of a new-boy/ school-boy error, but hopefully it makes sense.

Last edited:
Yep, I recently bought one of Bakaboy's 250's. I did some 250 races this year (2015) with the RACE series at Shannoville and it was a LOT of fun! We need more guys to get involved for 2016!

Sorry SUPERNAM AND BAKABOY, didn't ref your comments in my reply. Bit of a new-boy/ school-boy error, but hopefully it makes sense.

Welcome to GTAM Mikeyboy

Lol once you find the magical formula please let me know. This is one of the reasons I only raced endurance this year, I kind of like having a summer life outside racing and 7 full weekends at the track leaves you time for nothing else.

There is no magic formula, I have taken extended riding vacations every year since I've started riding(3 years only). It has replaced my "regular vacations", I've only started expanding my riding to dirt and track this year so I've never had to balance my days off. It is going to be tough with only 3 weeks of vacation, might have to take a lot of time off unpaid lol.

Endurance races are still on weekends right?

I plan on doing RACE also, I live in Scarborough so it's closest to me. How many bikes were in the races you entered and how did you do?

Always this option too for people with money

http://gravesracingservices.com/yamaha-r3/

A stock R3 was only $5500, are you really saving any money from that insteading of purchasing parts individually?

Saving?!?! Lol. You might be saving $500. But for the that cost I would have them drill it and safety wire it but they didn't even do that....

Originally posted by Supernam
I plan on doing RACE also, I live in Scarborough so it's closest to me. How many bikes were in the races you entered and how did you do?

There were typically 5-250's, plus numerous other machines in the Lightweight Production Class, included some veteran/ historic 'bikes.
On the one hand it's great to race against equal machinery (with the 250's) but also pretty cool (and challenging) to compete against older 600's (or the odd guy on an old 650 Hawk; which are way-faster on the straights but way-slower through the swerves ....

Originally Posted by Supernam

I did some trackdays at Shanny during the year (Long and Pro tracks) but only did a couple of race weekends. I entered 2 classes, 300 Production and Lightweight Production. Each class had two races per weekend (one on Sat & one on Sun), plus practice sessions - as I think bakaboy already mentioned. Plenty of track time, to be honest.
I'm a newb to 250's and racing, so most of my time was spent trying to get used to riding a 250 and my race results were less than spectacular (onlookers would no-doubt confirm - LOL).
I began reducing my lap times though, which is a move in the right direction. Had some fun battles and overtakes during the 2nd race weekend. Can't wait 'til next season: It's a Million tons o'fun! :eek:
Try and get a 'bike together and get out there, man.

I did some trackdays at Shanny during the year (Long and Pro tracks) but only did a couple of race weekends. I entered 2 classes, 300 Production and Lightweight Production. Each class had two races per weekend (one on Sat & one on Sun), plus practice sessions - as I think bakaboy already mentioned. Plenty of track time, to be honest.
I'm a newb to 250's and racing, so most of my time was spent trying to get used to riding a 250 and my race results were less than spectacular (onlookers would no-doubt confirm - LOL).
I began reducing my lap times though, which is a move in the right direction. Had some fun battles and overtakes during the 2nd race weekend. Can't wait 'til next season: It's a Million tons o'fun! :eek:
Try and get a 'bike together and get out there, man.
I have a Ninja 300 and trying to plan to be there next year. Probably those same 2 classes are what I would do.

Yes, but put a seasoned veteran on a 400cc 2S and watch the noob on a 300 get eaten up.

I'm not claiming to be good and I know that regardless of the class I'll likely be up against some skilled riders; which is why I'm interested in a 300 class, so that there's a relatively level playing field and the bikes aren't such a huge factor.

Personally, I have no interest in racing in a varied grid with two strokes, larger displacement, etc.

Put me up against R3s, CBR300s, RC390s and I'm in.

Yamaha FZR400 is 4 stroke.

Bakaboy; do you have your 250s listed anywhere? I looked through the classifieds here but couldn't see them.

I just met up with David(bakaboy) and he gave me a lot of great advice for racing next season. I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to meet with me. I saw your bike and I'll see you next year Mikeyboy.

I just met up with David(bakaboy) and he gave me a lot of great advice for racing next season. I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to meet with me. I saw your bike and I'll see you next year Mikeyboy.

Anytime.

Just saw this point, let's clear this point up. The 300 Production class was NOT created because 250 and 300 bikes are at a disadvantage in Lightweight Production. Heck a CBR250 won the class this year.

The 300 Production class was created because 1 race team that pays for +12 race entries per weekend requested a 2nd suitable class for their CBR250 racers since there was only had 1 race class per weekend where they could be competitive and safe (ie the Lightweight Production).

Simple as that.

No I don't believe you, because you guys are posting contradicting information.

I'm being told skilled riders on 600s are beating new riders on 750s. That means skilled riders on 750s will easy beat 600s.

If the guys in RACE have worked to create a 300 grid obviously there's some concern with unfair advantages present with the allowed bikes in the Lightweight grid.

Originally posted by Supernam

Yep, Bakaboy has kindly given me some great advice too. He's not such a bad ole bloke, is he - LOL
Superman, I look forward to meeting and racing with you next year, buddy! It'll be fun out there, for sure.
The more the merrier!

I'm hopefully picking up a Ninja 300 tomorrow that will become my race bike for next year:)

Back
Top Bottom