Running.. ugghh | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

They moved you indoors?
If you're on a computer all day, your glute strength will take a hit
Yeah I've been working from home since March of 2020. 10-12 hrs day on the computer/phone. I find that without any exercise, it's like full body atrophy and major tightness of shoulders, back, legs, hips etc.

To improve my leg strength, I also do some HIIT or other interval based training like F45 a couple times a week and also have a bicycle trainer set up in the basement.
So a bit better compared to last year, taking the 80/20 approach where 80 percent of my running is ridiculously slow and 20 percent is high intensity (following the same approach with the cycling) both with some structured plans.
I was supposed to do a half ironman this year... but since i can't even practice swimming i guess i'll focus on something else, get the half-marathon under my belt and make it "easy"...you know, like those people on strava that run them for fun on a weekend and go from there. Hopefully masters swim resumes in fall and i can get some time in the pool with a better running body, cycling kinda just happens for me because i enjoy it

Lets all be friends:
I usually train for running at 3x per week - speed workouts on Tuesday and Thursday and long slow runs on Sunday. I try to increase my time/distance by 10% each week. This year I am going to try out a different plan, which my wife has done before and likes very much.
It's the Hal Higdon 1/2 Marathon program: Novice 2 Half Marathon Training Program | Hal Higdon

Need to get back into running. Used to run 10k 5 days a week at gym. My problem is that I enjoyed the gym bubble, and the treadmill is a softer landing for joints. Plus the convenience of scheduling one stop workout area; running + some weights right after work, and go home. Now everyone wanders out on the streets in
TO, plus adding street lights, makes it not appealing. I’m brainstorming for areas I can run, and potentially adding a treadmill to home gym in fall. Had a stationary bike for few months but it’s not the same.

Need to get back into running. Used to run 10k 5 days a week at gym. My problem is that I enjoyed the gym bubble, and the treadmill is a softer landing for joints.
Beg, borrow and plead for a set of Canada Post mail bags. Load them up with 3, two litre water bottles on each side (about 17 pounds each side). Go for a walk. Find a place with hills. If you can't get the mail bags, get a good long distance hiking backpack with a metal frame. Load it up with 30-40 pounds of stuff.

You can walk, not run carrying the weight. No high impact running. Walk for 1 hour at a solid pace. You'll have one heck of a sweat on - guaranteed.
I'm a postie and carry up to 50 pounds after reloading bags. I lost 20 pounds in 2.5 months (about 24-27km of walking per weekday, depending on route I was on), without a real change in diet.

Edit: Spelling

Was browsing Canadian Tire website to add equipment to home gym, all weights went up by 25% in price since March this year. Purchased last set around that time. The 30lb bought for $58 is now $87, bench went from $130 to $170(?). Wish I purchased that power rack at $300 that is now $400.

Was browsing Canadian Tire website to add equipment to home gym, all weights went up by 25% in price since March this year. Purchased last set around that time. The 30lb bought for $58 is now $87, bench went from $130 to $170(?). Wish I purchased that power rack at $300 that is now $400.
Yup. The used market for home gym stuff has skyrocketed. I’m debating selling a small air bike as it never sees use. Not sure yet as I need to do some research.

Well I’ve seen the used market doing that since the beginning of this. Just was surprised to see this from a big box store overnight.
Have to wait for decent triangle offer now, which will still give back less than this markup.

I found the elliptical is the best for me, for now.

The treadmill tends to skip occasionally when I use it, but not my eldest who's at least 25% off.

Running would wreak my knees and shins at this point. Too much weight.

I’m in 2 week dilemma of completing home gym or waiting for gyms to reopen. I finally took car off collision insurance next month so it’s also adds pressure.
I bought that bar weight set off Canadian tire for $300 last month but the bar isn’t that good; held by screws, and only suggested for plates that come with it 70lbs. Now I don’t lift that heavy but my goal is to get to 200lb squats sooner or later. Right now 110lbs squats are perfect warm ups, to get back to it and work on perfecting form.

My next purchase should be a power rack and actual Olympic bar. But space is a big issue. I live in a basement bachelor and have no problem keeping equipment as background noise, but realistically can’t fit treadmill as well to replicate the complete gym use. So it may be better to hold off all purchases and just go back to gym? If I chose minimalist lifestyle could fit everything, but that’s not me. I could fit a bike and rack though.

Having home gym is very convenient; especially if they plan to reopen as pretimed again for next year. No need to get ready and waste time going/coming from gym. My motivation is good, lifting 4 days a week. Only lacking a bit in pushing harder but that’s more attributed to current weights availability/set up.
But wouldn’t mind going back to GoodLife overall either. I just don’t want waste all the money and space only having gyms go back precovid use in next year.

Did my first jog this night in more than a year!?? 8.5km in 58 minutes.
Congrats!
Remember to avoid increasing your running mileage by more than 10% a week. That’s a good guideline to avoid injury!

When I run with my wife, since she has a slower pace than me, I can run injury free all the time. As soon as I’m by myself, I’m running too fast, for too long and seem to get injured quick.

Doc said before I got the new hip "no running or jumping". So it's 2 miles on a stationary bike 6 mornings a week and about a 30 minute walk every day.

been following lots of fitness gurus on various channels in my quest to better fitness and health,

lots of them are suggesting walking over running. esp incline walking.

I've greatly reduced my running mileage, but still try do a 5k a month to keep me in touch with running, as I still love it. Can't resist exploring all the trails in Collingwood.

But my incline walking on the treadmill mileage is way up, and I've never sweated so much and felt it. my calves this am from yesterdays session are reminding me of this.

They may be on to something.

Thanks.
Joints are still sore, even doing leg weights now is soreness. I may start doing intervals to build speed and get joints back up

I broke my butt back in april... stopped my streak at 94 days, kinda depressing.

Can't seem to get back in the groove of daily running now. I've also restarted higher mileage for cycling so that might also play a part in it

So I went from treadmill runner to outdoor runner in full 180. Had 3 runs on treadmill since reopening, mainly curious about my speed or when rain/too hot. However my running time is 11-2am avoids most obstacles. In fact have to force time off running now. Fall and winter won’t be good for me.

anybody try those carbon plated runners? holy bouncy batman. not sure I like it.
Explain more? Link?

Wife just picked up some new asics. She went through lots of New balance, then a set of Hokas (not a fan) and just got the Asics last night. For her, weight is a huge factor. If they aren't incredibly light, she is annoyed.

So i haven't tried the carbon plated ones yet. But i hadn't tried a new pair of runners in like 7 years.
And yeah the bounciness in the new foams/soles is "special" and it's weird cause it's bouncy but also plush. A big proprioceptive mind-fark for me.

I'm also coming from a barefoot/minimalist/0drop place where that's what ive been rocking for the past few years, and just treated myself to some Altras.
I feel like im going to have a rotation of shoes where shorter runs will be on the minimal shoes and longer runs will be on the cushy ones.

Explain more? Link?

Wife just picked up some new asics. She went through lots of New balance, then a set of Hokas (not a fan) and just got the Asics last night. For her, weight is a huge factor. If they aren't incredibly light, she is annoyed.

they are hideously expensive, studies show they make people run faster because of the bounce (spring effect). Marathon records have been broken with these shoes.

If you want a SWEET deal to try out Carbon shoes. Go to the New Balance OUTLET store in Niagara.

I had my eye on a pair of FuelCell TC - New Balance for a long time. They were $259 and hard to swallow at that price.

At the outlet mall last saturday, I picked them up for $70 on clearance! They were $99, then they had a 30% off sale. They still had plenty of stock from what I saw.

I'm a Huge NB fan and also picked up a set of Rebel V2's and these too are extremely Bouncy although a NON plated shoe. Bought them based on the Reviews as they are touted as the "best non plated shoe"

I've tried both pairs, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the bounce yet. Still love my 1080's

Last edited:

they are hideously expensive, studies show they make people run faster because of the bounce (spring effect). Marathon records have been broken with these shoes.

If you want a SWEET deal to try out Carbon shoes. Go to the New Balance OUTLET store in Niagara.

I had my eye on a pair of FuelCell TC - New Balance for a long time. They were $259 and hard to swallow at that price.

At the outlet mall last saturday, I picked them up for $70 on clearance! They were $99, then they had a 30% off sale. They still had plenty of stock from what I saw.

I'm a Huge NB fan and also picked up a set of Rebel V2's and these too are extremely Bouncy although a NON plated shoe. Bought them based on the Reviews as they are touted as the "best non plated shoe"

I've tried both pairs, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the bounce yet. Still love my 1080's
I wanted to get the 1080s, but too much drop for me, then i tried the fresh foam tempo, came close to buying them but found something i liked better.

for fun he made me try one with fuelcell, and i was feeling like an alien wearing those lol, but good to know they have good sales down there, i might check them out next season

Back
Top Bottom