Running.. ugghh | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

Neither really - just eat healthy and minimize the junk. Absolutely no McDonald's or fast food... My partner and I eat decent amount of fruits and veggies and oats with fruit and trail mix for breakfast every day. Lot's of pasta, quinoa, lentils, beans, etc. We both work physical jobs and exercise a few times a week to keep our cardio and overall fitness at a good level. She's a lot more fit than I, but neither of are going to win any races - just want to live a pretty clean and balanced lifestyle.

I'm going to try and phase meat out slowly. But it's tough with chicken and eggs being my main source of protein.
Duh, they're poultry, not meat. Problem solved! ?
But then there's the argument of nutrient deficiency. Some people thrive on vegan diets, and I've seen some people add meat back in because their hair was falling out.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I watched that Dr. Sarah video. Interesting. And yes, she is saying the exact opposite of what my Drs, diabetic counselors etc. are saying. If I can clean the diet, they will be forced to drop my meds, which is the goal.
But this is gonna be tough. Man I love my bread. And @boots, I know how bad aspartame is, but I can't seem to keep away from that diet soda. Although I did try a Zevia soda, and it was actually guite good. But it's $2 a can.

I watched that Dr. Sarah video. Interesting. And yes, she is saying the exact opposite of what my Drs, diabetic counselors etc. are saying. If I can clean the diet, they will be forced to drop my meds, which is the goal.
But this is gonna be tough. Man I love my bread. And @boots, I know how bad aspartame is, but I can't seem to keep away from that diet soda. Although I did try a Zevia soda, and it was actually guite good. But it's $2 a can.

Breads not bad, just give multi grain, rye or pumpernickel a try. All of them taste great.

I believe they just recently banned aspartame from soda here, no?

Try and cut the soda out of your diet and you'll just feel so much better. To me, a nice ice cold water is a million times more refreshing than a soda. Working in a restaurant where I get free soda whenever I want. When I first started working there all I would get was coke and iced tea but when I finally just stuck to water I felt lot less bloated.

If you've got an easy sweet tooth, grab a magic bullet and a big bag of frozen fruit. My parents just bought this a month ago and it's been amazing for me. One banana, some frozen fruit, milk or almond/soy milk and two scoops of peanut butter or one of Nutella and it feels like a meal and tastes great.

It's got the sugar but it's not as calory empty as a soda. You get nutrients from fruits, calcium from milk, protein from peanut butter. It's a great investment really.

I'm going to try and phase meat out slowly. But it's tough with chicken and eggs being my main source of protein.
Chicken and eggs are both super-good foods!
Both are very low in sugar and carbohydrates.
Eat up, and lose weight...

I haven't been able to run in a few months. I have aggravated the muscle between my pelvis and rib cage... somehow. Running makes it flare up big time.

Wow there's a lot of misinformation floating around out there.

Everyone is different. Getting nutrition advice on a motorcycle forum seems silly. I know what works for me, I'm not going to suggest other people do that just cuz it worked for me.

Misinformation...ugghh

I bought new winter "boots", the runners I have been eyeing finally went on for $50 off.

30k around the bay is a personal goal for me. Good for you Shane. I'm still stuck between 5 and 10 km, and closer to 5 this month due to a lingering chest cold.

However had a good run this am and realized my shoes were pretty much done. So I went shopping and have a bright new pair. Can't wait for Tuesday!

Run, it's sooo good for the soul.

Carbs aren't bad for you... You just have to fit it into your macros properly especially if you want to lose weight or prevent disease. Even white rice isn't as bad as people make it out to be, just take the proper servings with your diet. Brown rice, quinoa, lentils, banana's, peas - all full of carbs, all very nutritious and good tasting. Eaten properly and you'll lose or maintain weight.

The real health problems come from eating meat and there are a plethora of studies out there to back that claim.

You're right about sugar, on the other hand. Unless you're getting it from fruit you're making a costly mistake. And don't get me started with sweeteners.

Where are you getting your information from?

I watched that Dr. Sarah video. Interesting... she is saying the exact opposite of what my Drs, diabetic counselors etc. are saying
Yes. This is the whole reason I originally posted here!
I viewed the Doctor Sarah video back in May.
I have followed the diet (remember, it's a good-health diet NOT a weight-loss diet per se) religiously, since May.
It works!
Zero sugar. Carbs as low as possible.
No more Diabetes.
And weight loss like crazy (bonus).

Absolutely no McDonald's or fast food...
I consider cookies, potato chips etc., donuts, ice cream, cakes with frosting and any sugary sweet things JUNK.
Don't ingest it! This of course includes any and all soda pop.

Whereas, a double quarter-pounder with cheese? That's real food my friend... relatively speaking, ie. there are far worse things to eat.
Burgers are pretty low in sugar and carbohydrates (which are mostly in the bun anyway).
Actually ketchup is quite high in sugar too.

Meat, cheese, eggs and butter are all low or zero in sugar and carbohydrates!
Eat 'em up...

Where are you getting your information from?
What in particular are you looking at. Because there's a lot there...

If you can't access the reading because you aren't in an academic institution, just read the abstract or findings... Use the journals and volumes I provide to find the abstracts:

On meat: https://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2015/pdfs/pr240_E.pdf

Heme Iron in Red Meat:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23708150

Meat-related mutagens/carcinogens in the etiology of colorectal cancer. Environmentaland Molecular Mutagenesis 2004; 44(1):44–55

Meat and meat-related compounds and risk of prostate cancer in a largeprospective cohort study in the United States. American Journal of Epidemiology 2009; 170(9):1165–1177.

MARCIVE - York University., and National Cancer Institute (U.S.). Chemicals in Meat Cooked At High Temperatures and Cancer Risk. [Bethesda, Md.]: National Cancer Institute, 2010.

+ plenty plenty more that I don't have to go into. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian by the way in case you think I'm biased here.

On Carbs: Search up "The Carb Controversy" It's 10 years old and reminds me of elementary school when I watch it, but the information they give is basic. Carbs are in almost everything, taken in moderation or in accordance to your disease and you're fine. Sticking to whole grain is best. The video is pretty common sense.

On Sugar: there's plenty of recent information out there but if you want me to look for it I will.

Last edited:
Do you run?
Me? Sure! Like a gazelle... it's great to be slim.
But I mostly walk, which I can do basically endlessly.

Guys, calories are mostly found in the form of carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates are often in the form of sugar (the 'simplest' carbs).
Sugar is 100% calories, zero percent nutrition!
Your body doesn't require carbs - unless you're stick-thin with zero body fat.

Most people are carrying around a lot of body fat.
And (unseen by you) your liver is layered with thick yellow fat.
Stop putting sugar from your blood into your liver! Which 99 out of 100 people are constantly doing.

This thread is originally about running as an exercise for good health and to burn calories and lose weight, right?
What Dr. Sarah and I are pointing out is, prevention is the best cure!
Stop putting excessive sugar from carbs into your blood. You will get a metabolic hormonal disorder called Type2 Diabetes.

The more carbs you eat, the higher your blood sugar will go, and the more and more insulin your pancreas will dump, which is supposed to drive the sugar into your cells.
But the insulin resistance of the cells in your body will continue to increase, because that's what happens when there's too much insulin from way too much sugar.
Then when your blood sugar remains too high, in a panic your liver will take the sugar out of your blood and turn it into liver fat (ugh).
So instead of getting the raw material of energy into your cells, it turns into liver fat instead, and you feel listless and tired, no energy. While growing fat.

Contrast this with the Doctor Sarah diet. You eat zero sugar and low carbs.
Your blood sugar drops. It might even get too low (hypoglycemic)!
Many people have never been there in their entire lives, heheh...
Your liver will then put the sugar your cells need into your blood, from its vast stores of fat.
And plenty more where that came from - all your body fat! Pounds and pounds of it.

Apparently the process of metabolizing stored fat back into blood sugar is aided by compounds found in red wine.
And you'll never run out of carbs until you run out of body fat...
But you must continue to eat proteins, fats and nutrition while continuing to avoid carbs, which are typically 'empty' calories anyway, and low in nutrition.

Your body doesn't require carbs

Require no... like, yes... how can I do all what you said but continue to drink beer, whiskey, and the occasional rum? Or do I need to wait until weed is legal and go from there?

30k around the bay is a personal goal for me. Good for you Shane. I'm still stuck between 5 and 10 km, and closer to 5 this month due to a lingering chest cold.
The way I used to run my longer training runs was I would pick a pace I feel I could manage and do that pace for the duration of the run, so that I am tired by the end, but still able to finish. For example, if I was running a 10k and running 5min/km pace would tire me out, then that is what I would do for my long runs.

Now I am trying to run slow, because running slow for longer distances will help in a variety of ways to run fast later (ie race day). So running a 10km route, I will run a 6min/km instead. When I am done the run, I have barely broken a sweat and was running at a speed that I could have carried a conversation for the whole run without ever being out of breath. It's quite a challenge to purposely run slower than you know you can. I find myself looking at my watch every few minutes to check my pace.

Today we ran 15km because Sundays is when we run long, slow distances. I barely broke a sweat and although this is my longest run in almost 2 years, I felt I could have easily done another 5-10km.
Don't underestimate the value of running slow:)

Back
Top Bottom