Running.. ugghh | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

I wanted to get the 1080s, but too much drop for me, then i tried the fresh foam tempo, came close to buying them but found something i liked better.

for fun he made me try one with fuelcell, and i was feeling like an alien wearing those lol, but good to know they have good sales down there, i might check them out next season

I'm a sucker for NB. Have one or two of just about every model.

Propel, 1280, 990, 880. Rebel, TC, 1080, 1400, Hierro, and a few others. Lol

I keep going back to the 1080s. Just ordered the version 11 model.

I think I’m also using the 1080’s, and I like them too. When I started back running I was doing 5k runs in around 30-33 minutes and now have them down to 25 minutes. Would be nice to get back down to 20-21minutes regularly.

But it’s too damn hot to run right now. I have been doing some in the mornings or evenings, but the humidity is making it tough to run more than 30 minutes and it's light easy runs.

Cant wait for a heat to break and I can start ramping up the distances again. At least the yoga, strength training and occasional cycle training will yield rewards when it does cool down. I have found that the balance poses in yoga really help with adding a spring in my step and the core strengthening helps maintain a better form once I start getting fatigued on sprints.

Edit: I have the New Balance 860 v11. They are a really comfortable shoe for me and fairly priced.

Last edited:
for fun he made me try one with fuelcell, and i was feeling like an alien wearing those lol,

It took a few runs, but today I did 5k in my bouncy Rebel 2

I'd say I'm converted now. They felt great! Didn't want to take them off.

Like a lot of things, just takes getting used to the squishy feeling, but the energy return feels great for running.

Temps are getting really nice for running and finally back in a groove.

My wife is running 6-7km a day for the month as a goal - at least 46km a week.

I’m doing at least 3 10k’s a week and hope to get back to a 1/2 marathon every Sunday with 2 sprints mid week. Add in regular cycling, weights and yoga and looking forward to the results.

Going to sign up for the Chilly Half and maybe Around The Bay.

Anyone else?

Temps are getting really nice for running and finally back in a groove.

My wife is running 6-7km a day for the month as a goal - at least 46km a week.

I’m doing at least 3 10k’s a week and hope to get back to a 1/2 marathon every Sunday with 2 sprints mid week. Add in regular cycling, weights and yoga and looking forward to the results.

Going to sign up for the Chilly Half and maybe Around The Bay.

Anyone else?
I’m about to have some popcorn and a beer… does that count?

only if it gives you the runs:)
I'll let you know if you're really curious!

Honestly props to you and your wife! I cannot run for the life of me, I hate cardio (and my gut shows it) with all my being and soul.

I've got a Bowflex M7 sitting in the corner of my office...mocking me...judging...criticizing...so I unplug it when it thinks it gains some semblance of power over me.

I'll let you know if you're really curious!

Honestly props to you and your wife! I cannot run for the life of me, I hate cardio (and my gut shows it) with all my being and soul.

I've got a Bowflex M7 sitting in the corner of my office...mocking me...judging...criticizing...so I unplug it when it thinks it gains some semblance of power over me.
Besides the fitness thing keeping your heart ticking longer, happier and better one should also consider muscle memory.

What if you had to run fifty feet to avoid a hazard or life risk, keep one of your kids from harm?

When you run you have to learn to balance your forward lean. If you forget that because you haven't run for several decades (Me) you could land on your face like a toddler.

At a pickup softball game a good number of years ago I was running for first and started to overbalance. I was barely able to open up my stride enough to keep from doing a face plant.

I don't believe that running or jogging is good for everyone due to possible impact damage but while taking a brisk walk, run, don't jog, fifty to a hundred feet to keep the muscle memory alive. Reward yourself with a Tyskie.

Agree 100% with you @nobbie48 and there’s no excuse outside of laziness.

I do try and walk to the station every time I go downtown (3.2km return) so that helps.

I’m wondering maybe sell the Bowflex and going to a stationary bike or treadmill.

Damnit I’m up…no excuse…barbell time!

C4BD9F90-143D-42B7-8D46-C6CF95367249.jpeg

This is the bastard mocking me…. The shirt is not there and it’s not being used as a coat rack yet.

2231BFF6-DBA1-40F9-BAD1-C71DDEF69798.jpeg

Last edited:
Besides the fitness thing keeping your heart ticking longer, happier and better one should also consider muscle memory.

What if you had to run fifty feet to avoid a hazard or life risk, keep one of your kids from harm?

When you run you have to learn to balance your forward lean. If you forget that because you haven't run for several decades (Me) you could land on your face like a toddler.

At a pickup softball game a good number of years ago I was running for first and started to overbalance. I was barely able to open up my stride enough to keep from doing a face plant.

I don't believe that running or jogging is good for everyone due to possible impact damage but while taking a brisk walk, run, don't jog, fifty to a hundred feet to keep the muscle memory alive. Reward yourself with a Tyskie.
When I was in high school, there was a two week field trip way up north in the winter - like Hudsons Bay north kind of thing.

One of the students was sleeping in a tent and somehow there was a fire in his tent in the middle of the night and he was badly burned. I think they were 5-10km snowshoe away from anyone. The teacher who was a pretty fit guy had to run/snowshoe to get help in the middle of the night.

Last summer I was up at a friends cottage and a 4yr old was on an inner tube out on the lake with his a Dad who is a lifelong and excellent open water swimmer. All of a sudden some strange current comes along and starts taking the kid on the tube away from our sheltered area and towards the big lake where big fast boats are often screaming along. The Dad started trying to catch the kid but he couldn’t keep up. My wife who swims regularly and does Ironman’s was the only one able to swim smooth and fast enough to catch up to the kid and we all felt that she probably saved his life that day. I need to learn how to swim better!

These types of situations are why I also believe that fitness helps you when you need it in specific moments of action or it helps you better manage and tolerate a multitude of injury, sickness or rehabilitation.

It also allows me to ride longer without getting sore and maintain focus, smoothness, etc.
And I fit in the same clothes I was wearing when I was 18.

Motivation - there can be resistance to start, but once started there can also be resistance to stop.

Last summer I was up at a friends cottage and a 4yr old was on an inner tube out on the lake with his a Dad who is a lifelong and excellent open water swimmer. All of a sudden some strange current comes along and starts taking the kid on the tube away from our sheltered area and towards the big lake where big fast boats are often screaming along. The Dad started trying to catch the kid but he couldn’t keep up. My wife who swims regularly and does Ironman’s was the only one able to swim smooth and fast enough to catch up to the kid and we all felt that she probably saved his life that day. I need to learn how to swim better!
I don't think that's the right lesson there. I'm glad it worked out. The right lesson is for a person to be on an unrestrained floating object, they either need to be wearing a life jacket or able to swim without the floaty. Objects blowing across the surface of the water can go far faster than anyone can swim (in your case it worked out as the current was helping the swimmer too). The other common loser is a beach ball blowing away and people try to chase it down.

Signed up for Half Ironman muskoka in July, i'd say do it with me @shanekingsley but it sold out in 5 days! I'm a bit stressed by it as ive never run a half marathon...even less after almost 2k swim and 90k bike. But i've got over 6 months to get in shape for it!

Up until this week, i had pretty much been inactive since mid september. In my defence i'd worked out most days of the year (minus injury). So i'm starting slowly with mobility and crawling. Yeah you heard that right, crawling. Gets my core fired up and the shoulders get a great workout. (I actually have 30 days of variations of it). After thats done, i'm starting to run again in Jan. Adding in some kettlebells work and what not

My bike trainer is on its way since nov 16...or actually i should stay it's stuck at the store since nov 16, thanks to the landslides and floods in bc.

For swimming.. ugh. I don't like going to the gym but i do it for swimming. I think my master's club is gonna restart back at UTM in Jan so i might stand a chance. I got a lot of progress this year by just going to the pool twice a week (40m sessions) and lake once a week. If i can get back with the masters team (80-90m sessions) the swim will be a walk in the park.

I don't think that's the right lesson there. I'm glad it worked out. The right lesson is for a person to be on an unrestrained floating object, they either need to be wearing a life jacket or able to swim without the floaty. Objects blowing across the surface of the water can go far faster than anyone can swim (in your case it worked out as the current was helping the swimmer too). The other common loser is a beach ball blowing away and people try to chase it down.
I learned that lesson this year by being the floating object on a paddleboard (with my sis in law). Lesson of the day, don't listen to the sis in law who goes OUT on the lake, always go across (near the shore). Even with a life jacket or being able to swim, getting stuck in a current can still be somewhat life threatening if no one can retrieve you in time!

When I was in high school, there was a two week field trip way up north in the winter - like Hudsons Bay north kind of thing.

One of the students was sleeping in a tent and somehow there was a fire in his tent in the middle of the night and he was badly burned. I think they were 5-10km snowshoe away from anyone. The teacher who was a pretty fit guy had to run/snowshoe to get help in the middle of the night.

These types of situations are why I also believe that fitness helps you when you need it in specific moments of action or it helps you better manage and tolerate a multitude of injury, sickness or rehabilitation.

It also allows me to ride longer without getting sore and maintain focus, smoothness, etc.
And I fit in the same clothes I was wearing when I was 18.

Motivation - there can be resistance to start, but once started there can also be resistance to stop.
Let's not forget that I'm 41 and need to catch up with 2 toddlers, and with an extra on the way...it's going to be tougher and tougher!

My fitness goals are to keep up with the kids, and live long enough to see them grow.

Let's not forget that I'm 41 and need to catch up with 2 toddlers, and with an extra on the way...it's going to be tougher and tougher!

My fitness goals are to keep up with the kids, and live long enough to see them grow.
Honestly, i've never been an elite athlete..but being able to keep up with the kids when they run or are on the bicycle (with lots of energy to spare) is worth it. I also see how all my family has heart issues and pretty much dies from them, so im trying to "make my own luck" without overdoing it.

Although my goal is to be an ironman at age 40. But we'll revisit closer to that time

Honestly, i've never been an elite athlete..but being able to keep up with the kids when they run or are on the bicycle (with lots of energy to spare) is worth it. I also see how all my family has heart issues and pretty much dies from them, so im trying to "make my own luck" without overdoing it.

Although my goal is to be an ironman at age 40. But we'll revisit closer to that time
My only regret is I didn't have them 10 years earlier! But so far can keep up with them fairly well.

Signed up for Half Ironman muskoka in July, i'd say do it with me @shanekingsley but it sold out in 5 days! I'm a bit stressed by it as ive never run a half marathon...even less after almost 2k swim and 90k bike. But i've got over 6 months to get in shape for it!

Up until this week, i had pretty much been inactive since mid september. In my defence i'd worked out most days of the year (minus injury). So i'm starting slowly with mobility and crawling. Yeah you heard that right, crawling. Gets my core fired up and the shoulders get a great workout. (I actually have 30 days of variations of it). After thats done, i'm starting to run again in Jan. Adding in some kettlebells work and what not

My bike trainer is on its way since nov 16...or actually i should stay it's stuck at the store since nov 16, thanks to the landslides and floods in bc.

For swimming.. ugh. I don't like going to the gym but i do it for swimming. I think my master's club is gonna restart back at UTM in Jan so i might stand a chance. I got a lot of progress this year by just going to the pool twice a week (40m sessions) and lake once a week. If i can get back with the masters team (80-90m sessions) the swim will be a walk in the park.

I learned that lesson this year by being the floating object on a paddleboard (with my sis in law). Lesson of the day, don't listen to the sis in law who goes OUT on the lake, always go across (near the shore). Even with a life jacket or being able to swim, getting stuck in a current can still be somewhat life threatening if no one can retrieve you in time!
Nooo... My wife was going to sign up for the Muskoka half and I don't think she did yet... I don't think I'll ever do those because I don't really like to exercise for longer than 2 hrs at a time.
Muskoka is a great course but hilly for sure. She's done it before and if you put the time in you will enjoy yourself. She's not fast at all either, but consistent and mentally tough and had a great time. 6 months is perfect to train for it and if you ever need any tips or advice I'm sure she would be happy to answer any questions to make it a better experience for you.

As spectators we do our own Ironman - we bring a 60 of vodka, a bunch of smoke and food and cheer all day.

Very true. I think it was a good lesson for them - sometimes we get casual and need reminders. He was wearing a life jacket, but was definitely blowing across the water.

There is a book I read years ago called the Zone Diet by Barry Sears. His family had chronic heart issues with early mortality and he was determined to investigate how to minimize this. There are a bunch of things in that book that I took away which shape how I eat and exercise.

There is a book I read years ago called the Zone Diet by Barry Sears. His family had chronic heart issues with early mortality and he was determined to investigate how to minimize this. There are a bunch of things in that book that I took away which shape how I eat and exercise.
My father in law would still be alive if he took better care of himself. Dead at 52 from a heart attack. There were gout issues and I'm sure he wasn't as healthy as he let on.

His father died early 40s...heart attack...brother #1 at 45 (heart attack)...brother #2 at 55 (heart attack)...brother #3 at 56 (heart attack)...there's one brother remaining and he's early 60s so he's on borrowed time.

Back
Top Bottom