Running.. ugghh | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

bringing this thread back from the dead because i don't want to start a new one about running.

i'm currently retiring my nike free runs 2.0 and i'm in the market for a new pair of runners. been researching and i'm leaning towards the nike free runs 5.0 2015. thicker sole than my 2.0, better upper with flyknit tech.

anyone have suggestions or recommendations on what other shoes to look at? i'm a bit of a nike fanboy, hence why i'm leaning towards another pair of nike's. but if there's one out there that's better, then let me know.

it's isn't for intense track running, i'm in no way shape or form going on a running challenge. just getting myself in shape. and just need another pair of runners to last me the next few years. i just want to get fit for myself.

I've been meaning to get into running but it's hard to fit this into my schedule on top of work, lifting, and everything else. My GF runs 10-18 K like 3-5 times a week (she wants to do a half marathon in near future) and wants me to try running with her. I will get pwned. LOL I went for one run about a month ago and managed about 7K in a little over 30 minutes before almost having a heart attack but I haven't keept up with it.

I've been meaning to get into running but it's hard to fit this into my schedule on top of work, lifting, and everything else. My GF runs 10-18 K like 3-5 times a week (she wants to do a half marathon in near future) and wants me to try running with her. I will get pwned. LOL I went for one run about a month ago and managed about 7K in a little over 30 minutes before almost having a heart attack but I haven't keept up with it.
Do
-tabata sprintervals. They take no time and if you're doing it right, you should have your lungs on fire after you do them.
-Hill sprints too are great
-Stair running helps.

-Then you train to run 3k and increase pace to where you want it to be
Then you train to run 5k and increase pace to where you want it to be
and so on and so forth.

Incorporate these bullet points in a bowl, shake the fak out of them, and thats your training plan. lol Keeps it interesting and you should see constant progress while not wasting an hour of your life every time you want to do a 10k (which is pretty taxing on the joints too if done on cement)

bringing this thread back from the dead because i don't want to start a new one about running.

i'm currently retiring my nike free runs 2.0 and i'm in the market for a new pair of runners. been researching and i'm leaning towards the nike free runs 5.0 2015. thicker sole than my 2.0, better upper with flyknit tech.

anyone have suggestions or recommendations on what other shoes to look at? i'm a bit of a nike fanboy, hence why i'm leaning towards another pair of nike's. but if there's one out there that's better, then let me know.

it's isn't for intense track running, i'm in no way shape or form going on a running challenge. just getting myself in shape. and just need another pair of runners to last me the next few years. i just want to get fit for myself.

I use saucony shoes and like them alot (mirage/kinvara). Mirage is more padded than the kinvara, both are pretty light ~8oz, both are 4mm drop shoes. I see that the nike free 5.0 are 8mm drop, so just get something with similar drop or transition slowly to shoes with lower drop (your calves/achilles will thank you). Check out http://www.runningwarehouse.com to see what's available out there.

Depends on what your feet and stride are like.

Maybe try a couple of shops and ask?

I like New Balance because of the different widths, and they tend to be very stable on the heel.

I'd get into running, but too lazy to get up front in front a screen. Besides I've only gained about 10 pounds since 1982....

For those who run treadmills and roads. Try a trail.

For years i was doing 10 k runs on streets and this morning for the first time ever i ran a trail. I dont know if its all in the head but i felt more oxygenated and less fatigued than running on the streets.

Also for shoes, ive got Puma biowebs. Fantastic running shoes but i remember having to get used to them early on because of the soles.

For those who run treadmills and roads. Try a trail.

For years i was doing 10 k runs on streets and this morning for the first time ever i ran a trail. I dont know if its all in the head but i felt more oxygenated and less fatigued than running on the streets.

Also for shoes, ive got Puma biowebs. Fantastic running shoes but i remember having to get used to them early on because of the soles.
Trails absorb more of the impact (dirt, gravel, sand). Trees breathe out oxygen. So it would make sense.

If you're looking at trails and dirt for more cushioning why not just admit that running can be bad for your joints and bones? Some things don't make you stronger, they just wear you out. Sorry for being that guy, again.

If you guys are trying to lose weight or stay in shape, I'd suggest lifting instead. Your cardiovascular performance will also increase lifting...obviously not as much as cardio though.

Delfonic, as the token fat guy on GTAM, I am in no way the best person to offer advice on this topic. But that has never stopped me, or pretty much anyone else on here from doing it so....

As out of shape/ unhealthy as I am, I do enjoy learning, so...you stated "shoes to last a few years". Afaik, if you run with any sort of regularity and consistency, those shoes should be replaced every 6 months or so. They may feel/look okay, but much of the support and cushioning properties have been depleted. Find a couple last year models that you're interested in, then check out SVP to save a few $$.

Delfonic, as the token fat guy on GTAM, I am in no way the best person to offer advice on this topic. But that has never stopped me, or pretty much anyone else on here from doing it so....

As out of shape/ unhealthy as I am, I do enjoy learning, so...you stated "shoes to last a few years". Afaik, if you run with any sort of regularity and consistency, those shoes should be replaced every 6 months or so. They may feel/look okay, but much of the support and cushioning properties have been depleted. Find a couple last year models that you're interested in, then check out SVP to save a few $$.

How long a shoe lasts depends on a few things:
-shoe model (I get about 500km out of kinvaras, but my A6(race flats) feel dead after only 150k)
-how heavy you are/how you wear out shoes
-what surfaces do you run on (I got 700km out of kinvaras during winter on the treadmill, which was pushing it, but I never come close to that outside). Basically the softer the surface you run on the longer you'll tolerate the worn out cushioning.

But generally shoe life is measured in "distance run in" rather than time (some suggest that the cushioning does age, but in my experience I can't notice it). I run in old shoes (old models from previous years, sometimes as much as 2-3 year old models I find at the factory outlets). I change shoes when the cushioning feels dead and it's been pretty consistent with all the kinvaras I used (2,3 and 4) at about 500km

Lift and Sprint....that's all there is to it. Unless dad-bod is what's appealing to you...then by all means, keep running them long distances

Lift and Sprint....that's all there is to it. Unless dad-bod is what's appealing to you...then by all means, keep running them long distances
Lolwut?

And for those who play soccer what do we do? Keep running sprints so we have the quickest pace and by the 90th minute we have no conditioning and are begging to be subbed off?

Long distance running is great, not sure why people are knocking it based on personal opinions and unsubstantiated beliefs.

Lolwut?

And for those who play soccer what do we do? Keep running sprints so we have the quickest pace and by the 90th minute we have no conditioning and are begging to be subbed off?

Long distance running is great, not sure why people are knocking it based on personal opinions and unsubstantiated beliefs.

Come on dude. Soccer isn't a sport where you do a steady pace jog for 90 minutes. Half of the time, you're sprinting correct?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-evidence-continues-to-mount-against-chronic-cardio/#axzz3c7gcj8C5

This is coming from someone who was an ironman athlete. I'm not simply talking out my ***.

Come on dude. Soccer isn't a sport where you do a steady pace jog for 90 minutes. Half of the time, you're sprinting correct?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-evidence-continues-to-mount-against-chronic-cardio/#axzz3c7gcj8C5

This is coming from someone who was an ironman athlete. I'm not simply talking out my ***.
Im always jogging to keep with the play and sprinting on tbe attack or if i need to defend. Depending on the team im on i would say thats about 30 percent of the time. The other 70 im jogging to stay in position and anticipate where im going to go next. This js why soccer is considered both anaerobic and aerobic.

Im not saying sprinting is useless. It definitely has its place, but long distance running is equally important depending on what you do.

Back
Top Bottom