Racer5: reviews and help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Racer5: reviews and help

cvcb

First and foremost, I do apologise beforehand if some may think this thread is repeated or redundant. I did search it around here, but could not anything that would satisfy my curiosity. That said...
Been riding for 6 years now and I want to up my skills and eventually go racing, by that I mean take part in track days. Racer5 seems to be a obvious choice (and the closest to me). The gather of info just show the course is good, it is worth it etc, etc...
The problem for me at least is that, because I don't know anyone that went to the school or go regularly to track days, I miss the " mentoring" , or the heads-up to what to expect.
All to ask if somebody could write down some lines in how was the process of going to the school, what to expect...
I would love to apply for May but June seems more realistic to me. As a side note, if somebody can clarify what helmet are allowed, it would be most helpful (ECE22.06 is ok?). Thank you, and again, apologies for the repetition...

Its worthwhile as an entry level track course. Do the three days.

The helmet question: email Jenn at Racer5 with the specifics. There should be an faq section on their website.

You can rent leathers too.

I did three days two years ago. I had track experience, bit did it as a refresher with two of my friends. Its pretty fun carrying as much speed as you can on a cbr125.

@newman

@Amazon

They both teach for Racer5.

They recruit their instructors out of SOAR.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Its worthwhile as an entry level track course. Do the three days.

The helmet question: email Jenn at Racer5 with the specifics. There should be an faq section on their website.

You can rent leathers too.

I did three days two years ago. I had track experience, bit did it as a refresher with two of my friends. Its pretty fun carrying as much speed as you can on a cbr125.

@newman

@Amazon

They both teach for Racer5.

They recruit their instructors out of SOAR.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, I appreciate it. The faq session is not as much intuitive, in my opinion, but regardless of that, the info on helmet is there: SNELL M2015 or SNELL M2010 and/or BSI 6658 Type A or ECE 22.05 (for reference. I would say the ECE22.06 can be used because the posting was from 2021).
If Mr @newman or Mr @Amazon could post what newbies can expect, it would be most appreciated.

Do you have a helmet already? It would be easier to list that out instead.

The helmet must be manufactured less than 6 years from the date of the course. They sent someone to buy a new helmet for that on the weekend I went.

Most quality brand helmets are going to carry at least the ECE 22.05 certification.

The school does exactly what it says it does. It gets you prepared to do your first track day and it sets your expectations on what is track riding.

There isn't much 1 on 1 time in the intro courses. They aren't there to teach you how to operate a motorcycle. It is about getting you comfortable enter and exiting the track, how to conduct yourself on a track day, all without you having to buy/prep your own bike for track. Overall, exactly as the reviews said, it was worth it, I learned a lot.

Maybe I can get a glimpse of your new toy... Regardless, I hope I can make it. I will let you know...
HA. Maybe if i ride out there i suppose, but probably won't. I expect ill be too knackered to ride back.

There's some info in the 2022 thread: Racer5 2022 Schedule

As mentioned above, the important thing with the helmet is Snell or ECE certification (not DOT) with a manufacture date (NOT purchase date) of less than 6 years. They will check the helmet date sticker on site. When I did the intro course they also got me to send a picture of my helmet and the date sticker when I booked the course just to be sure.

Snell 2020 or ECE22.06 or the new FIM standards are almost certainly okay, unless their insurance provider is totally clueless. The people doing the tech inspection on your helmet will definitely understand that newer is better.

In terms of what to expect, the groups were 5 or 6 riders per instructor when I took it, and I think there were 4 or 5 groups. Every day will start with a review of the safety flags and what they mean. The first session of every day will start with a sighting lap, where you circle slowly and come back in to the pits, before heading back out on track for the rest of the session.

The first day will be follow-the-leader sessions behind your instructor. The pace will be modest, focused on learning the racing line, establishing good body position, and safely interacting with other riders on the track, including entering and exiting the pits. You'll work up from follow-the-leader to passing, but still at a controlled pace and within your single group. The passing exercises may or may not have each rider leading the group for a lap or two, but that's not a signal to go balls-out and prove how awesomely fast you are. On the third day we started to get unleashed and run our own pace, turning it into something like a supervised trackday.

Almost all of the instruction will be done verbally with your instructor in the pits in between track sessions. There will be track maps and clipboards for demonstrating the lines. When I did the course, there was a single 1 hour in-class instruction session on the second day, but the focus is the practical on-track experience. Something like Twist of the Wrist 2 might be good to read before you arrive if you have never read anything at all about track riding, but don't get hung up on any specific technique or idea. At one point, our instructor also ran an action camera and recorded each of the group members for a lap or two, and reviewed the footage with us in the pits between sessions.

It's 3 consecutive days. You will be tired by the end of it. The initial pace won't demand any extreme body position, but make an effort to move around on the bike consistently every lap to build the muscle memory. If things start hurting (especially on the first day), talk to your instructor. You might be putting a lot more force through some part of your body than necessary. My right knee was killing me by the end of the first day because I was putting a ton of weight on the inside peg rather than hanging my weight off the tank with my outside leg.

They will provide popup shelters, chairs, and water, but you'll want all of your own comfort items like snacks, gatorade, visor wipes, anti-histamines, ibuprofen, and paper tape or moleskin for blisters. Bring and wear earplugs. If you wear contacts, bring spare lenses and solution/eyedrops. Bring rain gear and a towel.

All to ask if somebody could write down some lines in how was the process of going to the school, what to expect...
I did the intro back in May 2018 and wrote a review here:

It was a great intro to riding track (been doing it regularly ever since). Was there again in May 2022 and not much has changed in terms of the format and what to expect.

Reactions: Ash
I did the intro back in May 2018 and wrote a review here:

It was a great intro to riding track (been doing it regularly ever since). Was there again in May 2022 and not much has changed in terms of the format and what to expect.
Thank you so much. I do appreciate this.

As mentioned above, the important thing with the helmet is Snell or ECE certification (not DOT) with a manufacture date (NOT purchase date) of less than 6 years. They will check the helmet date sticker on site. When I did the intro course they also got me to send a picture of my helmet and the date sticker when I booked the course just to be sure.

Snell 2020 or ECE22.06 or the new FIM standards are almost certainly okay, unless their insurance provider is totally clueless. The people doing the tech inspection on your helmet will definitely understand that newer is better.

In terms of what to expect, the groups were 5 or 6 riders per instructor when I took it, and I think there were 4 or 5 groups. Every day will start with a review of the safety flags and what they mean. The first session of every day will start with a sighting lap, where you circle slowly and come back in to the pits, before heading back out on track for the rest of the session.

The first day will be follow-the-leader sessions behind your instructor. The pace will be modest, focused on learning the racing line, establishing good body position, and safely interacting with other riders on the track, including entering and exiting the pits. You'll work up from follow-the-leader to passing, but still at a controlled pace and within your single group. The passing exercises may or may not have each rider leading the group for a lap or two, but that's not a signal to go balls-out and prove how awesomely fast you are. On the third day we started to get unleashed and run our own pace, turning it into something like a supervised trackday.

Almost all of the instruction will be done verbally with your instructor in the pits in between track sessions. There will be track maps and clipboards for demonstrating the lines. When I did the course, there was a single 1 hour in-class instruction session on the second day, but the focus is the practical on-track experience. Something like Twist of the Wrist 2 might be good to read before you arrive if you have never read anything at all about track riding, but don't get hung up on any specific technique or idea. At one point, our instructor also ran an action camera and recorded each of the group members for a lap or two, and reviewed the footage with us in the pits between sessions.

It's 3 consecutive days. You will be tired by the end of it. The initial pace won't demand any extreme body position, but make an effort to move around on the bike consistently every lap to build the muscle memory. If things start hurting (especially on the first day), talk to your instructor. You might be putting a lot more force through some part of your body than necessary. My right knee was killing me by the end of the first day because I was putting a ton of weight on the inside peg rather than hanging my weight off the tank with my outside leg.

They will provide popup shelters, chairs, and water, but you'll want all of your own comfort items like snacks, gatorade, visor wipes, anti-histamines, ibuprofen, and paper tape or moleskin for blisters. Bring and wear earplugs. If you wear contacts, bring spare lenses and solution/eyedrops. Bring rain gear and a towel.
Thanks mate!

Oh, bring aspirin. The only time I've ever experienced arm pump was on those cbr125s. Combination of bad form, buzzy engine, heat and consecutive long days resulted in the most excruciating experience without also involving falling off the bike.

This is a pretty solid summary of the course (y)

Well worth the money

Not many here discuss how many ppl crush at this course, when I did mine last year we had a few guys (don't remember exact number but about 5-6 total from all groups, in our group we had only 1 kid crashed on last day) had their shame of walk to the Mechanics tent for damage estimates and bill to pay... Mostly very young guys going faster and faster and faster - passing each other back forth, as speed and confidence grow with time... till the session red flagged ang somebody's bike goes from grass to the trailer to the mechanic... nothing wrong with it, testing limits is the name of the game, just an observation.

I've crashed twice at Racer5. Once at the chicane, didn't tuck my foot in, dragged it and slid out into the grass. Second time at the carousel, tried to cut in too early, caught the inside curb, got unsettled and went on an excursion in the grass, wet grass, slid out fairly quickly. Both my fault - first no injuries, second a strained neck. The cost of repair was totally reasonable both times. I would much rather test the limits / my lack of skill on those bikes than have to deal with similar damage on my own bike. I'm also glad my only two crashes have been at the track in a controlled environment, with paramedics/ambulance on standby if needed.

To answer your original question, helmet needs to be 6 years or newer Snell/ECE/FIM and if it's not, we will direct you to the nearest bike shop to get something to ride with.

The CBR125s are a great tool for learning on. They magnify your errors since you can't just get on the gas and speed back up but they're also more forgiving when you crash. Crashing happens at every course and most of the times the riders get right back up and are out for the next session. This is safe place to find the limits and you're well protected with medics on site just in case. Obviously there is still a risk, but chances of a crazy high side are slim since the bikes have maybe 12HP.

Ash did a pretty good summary. Only thing, based on last year we did not have action cameras to give you play back, but who knows, that could change this year. If you have your own camera, feel free to bring it and we can mount it on our bikes to follow you. There is a photographer that comes out Saturday so you can see your photos and body position to discuss and perfect on Sunday. He's also back Sunday so you can see your progress.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I built a bunch of those bikes back in the day for the original Honda CBR125R Challenge.
Its astounding to me that some of those poor little blisters are still circulating after having the crap beaten out of them for nigh onto 15 years.
A testament to Honda reliability and good regular maintenance.

Ive done racer 5 in the past and would highly recommend it. Some of the most fun I had on a motorcycle. The skills from the small bikes transfer over so its worth your while id say. I also crashed in the rain going too ham and the repair cost was like less than $200. Very reasonable. Cool to see your progress as the days go on.

Funny story actually 5 of us crashed on the same session (heavy rain), the instructor looked back and no one was there! :ROFLMAO:

For those that have attended the school, where did you stay over night? Are you able to camp at the track?

Back
Top Bottom