Ninja 300 to CBR 600 - New found love! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ninja 300 to CBR 600 - New found love!

Depends how it's insured I guess. If pointing out that something may be illegal makes me an ******* then sure, I'm the forum *******.

No you are right. He's 22, plenty old enough to buy and insure his own stuff.

I get trying to save money but all you are doing his proving to your parents you aren't grown up yet.

Has enough money to buy brand new 2015 CBR600RR but won't put the bike in his name because of a couple hundred on insurance per year.

But hey congrats on the bike.

Unless his father actually bought the bike in the first place lol.

I know I would never put something I bought in someone else's name, especially a brand new motorcycle. Maybe I'm old school but I like my name on the ownership.
He did, I never was legally speaking the owner of the bike.

I know I didn't want to and wasn't planning on doing this. However saving $1500 in insurance (truck increase plus bike) per year buys a lot of gas and bike parts. That's how I look at it.
Depends how it's insured I guess. If pointing out that something may be illegal makes me an ******* then sure, I'm the forum *******.
Nothing is illegal about it, my father owns a bike and I ride it. The insurance company suggested this. They said anyone can ride the bike as long ands they have an M1.

So no worries man, everything above the tape here.

Maybe I should have provided more detail in my original post to avoid confusion and you thinking I was committing fraud.

I just didn't want to clutter up the OP's thread like we're doing now.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I know I didn't want to and wasn't planning on doing this. However saving $1500 in insurance per year buys a lot of gas and bike parts. That's how I look at it.

Nothing is illegal about it, my father owns a bike and I ride it. The insurance company suggested this. They said anyone can ride the bike as long ands they have an M1.

Maybe I should have provided more detail in my original post to avoid confusion and you thinking I was committing fraud.

So the person that rides it the most is insured as primary? Guess it doesn't matter if they told you its fine. Congrats on the deal.

I know I didn't want to and wasn't planning on doing this. However saving $1500 in insurance (truck increase plus bike) per year buys a lot of gas and bike parts. That's how I look at it.

If you ride it more than your dad it's fraud. Insurance agencies also know this so watch out if you need to make a claim.

wrong...its not fraud , he made no attempt to conceal the info from the insurer..

"... my father owns a bike and I ride it. The insurance company suggested this. They said anyone can ride the bike as long ands they have an M1. "

wrong...its not fraud , he made no attempt to conceal the info from the insurer..

"... my father owns a bike and I ride it. The insurance company suggested this. They said anyone can ride the bike as long ands they have an M1. "

The Difference Between the Primary and Secondary Driver
The primary driver is the individual that is expected to drive the car the most. It does not matter who owns the car, or who is responsible for making its payments. If the individual drives the car more than anyone else in the household, that person must be named as primary driver.
The secondary driver is another individual that drives the car, but not as often as the primary driver. You can have more than one “secondary driver.” If you have someone else driving the car on a regular or even semi-regular basis, it is usually a good idea to get them named as a secondary driver on your car insurance. It will increase the costs, but not too much as long as they are not young or have a poor driving record.

That's cars...same applies to bikes though as far as I know. The insurer may have thought that the father was the primary, regular, rider in which case he'd be correct.

I would assume its no different than someone who drives the family car and is listed as the primary driver.

For example, my oldest son is listed as a primary driver on one of our vehicles because there are 3 vehicles in the family. (bikes excluded)

Last edited:
The Difference Between the Primary and Secondary Driver
The primary driver is the individual that is expected to drive the car the most. It does not matter who owns the car, or who is responsible for making its payments. If the individual drives the car more than anyone else in the household, that person must be named as primary driver.
The secondary driver is another individual that drives the car, but not as often as the primary driver. You can have more than one “secondary driver.” If you have someone else driving the car on a regular or even semi-regular basis, it is usually a good idea to get them named as a secondary driver on your car insurance. It will increase the costs, but not too much as long as they are not young or have a poor driving record.

That's cars...same applies to bikes though as far as I know. The insurer may have thought that the father was the primary, regular, rider in which case he'd be correct.

fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

please explain where the deliberate deception occurred here .

So your dad bought himself a motorcycle and is going to let you practise on it until you get your own?

If father is primary rider on the insurance and you are riding it more than he is...he's not the primary rider. That's deception. If you're an occasional rider then all is tickety boo. I'll take a guess what this case happens to be.

So she took a weekend course that she didn't learn anything from?
It takes 22 months to get the full M licence here, which is ridiculous imo. Down south you can get an M licence in literally 2 days :lmao:

My girlfriend is from Nashville, she bought a Shadow Aero 750 brand new and took a weekend course and boom she now has a full M licence in Canada. I had to "teach" her what counter steering was and throttle blip on downshifts, proper braking technique and what line to ride etc.

Oh well :rolleyes:

If father is primary rider on the insurance and you are riding it more than he is...he's not the primary rider. That's deception. If you're an occasional rider then all is tickety boo. I'll take a guess what this case happens to be.

He didn't say who was listed as primary rider...........did he?

The deliberate deception occured when they KNEW full well that by setting the policy up in the manner they did they were decieving the "insurer", (remember the agent is not the insurer they are merely acting as an agent, and we don't know if they are truly an agent for the company or a broker representing the companies line of products). An insurance policy is a legal contract and it clearly states you cannot aterially misrepresent the facts, (which by the posters own admission is that HE upgraded read his initial post). The "insurance company" never told him this arrangement was ok a poorly trained or stupid agent may have. the insurer is not bound, (it has been tested in court), by an error made by an agent or broker.

As has been explained doesn't matter what the "agent" told him, (unless they recorded the conversation, and that agent still represents that company), and his dad. If it isn't in writing it never happened, and that is exactly what the agent is going to state.... " I never advised them to commit insurance fraud". Under the insurance act if the 22 is the PRIMARY rider then he MUST be listed as such and the premium would be what he was originally quoted. If he is listed as a secondary or "occasional" rider but is riding the bike the majority of the time that IS insurance fraud. The "unfair or Unlawful gain" is the reduced premiums.

If he is involved in a collision and the insurer investigates, (which they will, so they can deny coverage and potentially save tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars). I did some insurance investigation at one point we would go visit neighbors and use "catch phrases" like I am investigating Johnny's accident and I want to make sure he gets everything that is coming to him. Now the neighbor thought that meant I was a nice guy..LOL I would then ask if they saw Johnny riding? was he a good rider? How often did he ride? then something along the lines of I see Johnny's dad also has his bike licence did he ride very often? Of course made it all seem like casual conversation and not probing. If 2 - 3 neighbors said dad never or barely rode but Johnny rode all the time..... claim DENIED. Then the fun starts. First thing i you get a registered letter advising your insurer has deemed you to have committed insurance fraud, (MAterial misrepresentation). That effective immediately ALL your polices with them are canceled, for fraud. Good luck now getting insurance, (this applies to the 22 year old AND dad)

Now, you get no settlement for the bike, (but lender is sure as heck coming for their money). If there was another party to the accident and unless your deemed 100% not at fault, then that other persons insurer is cming after the 22 year old AND dad, for anything they had to pay out.

So my advice to the poster is go get your insurance policy and READ IT. You will see clearly you have misrepresented the facts. You are putting not only your financial future in serious jeopardy, (should you have a collision or make a claim), but you are also putting your father at VERY serious risk, (presumably he is the one with assets, house etc).

It is YOUR duty to know what the policy says and ensure you have given all the facts, (which includes you are the primary rider). Don't wait till you need a claim to get your facts straight then. Insurers have played this game millions of times over the decades, I can assure you they have seen it all and if it comes to them saving $250,000 in a denied claim do you then think they are going to "play nice" and accept what you tell them that an agent told you to commit insurance fraud.

Poster, can you tell us what class licence your dad holds? M1, M2, M?? Also go read the policy again I suspect, you will find that an M1 rider, (for that rate is not a permitted rider).

6118a715.jpg

So she took a weekend course that she didn't learn anything from?

She took the course in 2005-2006 when she lived down there. Got her full M licence in 2 days and had a pretty bad scare on the 750 Aero (veered into oncoming traffic), she's a tiny girl so I think the 750 was just too big for her no matter what she says. Didn't feel comfortable on the bike after that, sold it and stopped riding. Ended up moving back up to Canada, the MTO saw that she had a licence in the States and handed her a GM. When I met her i told her I was going to start riding and she was all for it and wanted to start again with me.

My dirtbike experience was faaaar beyond anything she learned from that 2 day course. I've never taken an MSF course but obviously 2 days on parking lot work isn't close to sufficient time to acquire a full M licence. Althought a full M licence in a weekend sounds awesome I don't agree with it.

Last edited:
Wow this got out of hand..lol

Not to worry gents, I am listed as the primary rider on the policy. Even says my age and marital status beside my name in the "primary rider" block.

umm 173 kmph + on track with limited straightways....the 300 has nuff power for all you high way riding needs including high speed passings

Wanna know what else does 173kmh? Minivans, SUVS, economy cars, and pickup trucks. OBVIOUSLY any of these vehicles, including the pathetic Ninja 300 can pass normal traffic on the 400 series highways. The point is that the 300 doesn't pass traffic as quickly as an adult's bike. It doesn't pass traffic as quickly as one expects a motorcycle ought to be able to (read: instantly)

I love the slow bike brigade. "You just have to find the powerband!!!" Yeah that's great, guys... it's not a friggin rubik's cube, you pick an appropriate gear and pin the throttle. Here's a cookie.

Back
Top Bottom