Ninja 300 to CBR 600 - New found love! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ninja 300 to CBR 600 - New found love!

Don't get me wrong....the 600 definitely has more power and you can accelerate quicker.

But the 250/300's are meant to be ridden hard....once you find the powerband, passing cars in a 80 zone (even on the 400 series highways) is never an issue for me

someone once told me... "going fast on a slower bike is much more fun than going slow on a fast bike"

You bought a 600cc supersport to piss off your wife but ubcant have one because it fits me better?

Interesting.

I never said u can't have one....do what you like.....It was your reasoning behind your purchase. I keep seeing people say that the 250/300's aren't good on the highway and passing, meanwhile its just an excuse to get a bigger bike.

Best of luck with your new purchase

26 y/o, spotless driving record, full G licence over 5, no claims, truck as primary vehicle. Shouldn't be that crazy.

You mean you don't know how much, exactly, in advance? Seriously?

Enjoy the new ride, in any case.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

I never said u can't have one....do what you like.....It was your reasoning behind your purchase. I keep seeing people say that the 250/300's aren't good on the highway and passing, meanwhile its just an excuse to get a bigger bike.

Best of luck with your new purchase

Because they "do" have to work harder to accomplish passing and maintaining highway speeds. That's just facts. Can a 300/250 past someone at 100km/h, sure it can but it's pretty much balls to the wall at that point to do so safely.

Passing someone on a 300 at 100km/h - Wait for a long straight without on coming cars, create a bit of "run up" distance, downshift to 5th at about 9 thousand rpm, pin the throttle back, use that run up distance to give the bike enough time to actually change the speed enough to pass, pull out and be forced to shift into 6th side by side because there isn't enough gear left in 5th, hit 6th and pull back in revving at about 8k or more for the duration of the road.

Passing someone on a 600, cruising at 100km/h - See car, give a bit more gas, pass car. Continue with your day.

I don't have Ninja 300 hate or anything, i own one :lmao:. I would rather ride the 300 in town it's just not a good highway bike is all.

You mean you don't know how much, exactly, in advance? Seriously?

Enjoy the new ride, in any case.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

Yes, i bought the bike for next season. I got a wicked deal on it so i couldn't pass it up.

Congratulations on the new bike!
So it only takes you 1 year to outgrow the ninja 300?
I just purchased a ninja 300 last week, and I found that the bike is a bit heavy when I need to walk the bike, back out from a parking spot, etc...
Can't image what the 600 feels like....

Congratulations on the new bike!
So it only takes you 1 year to outgrow the ninja 300?
I just purchased a ninja 300 last week, and I found that the bike is a bit heavy when I need to walk the bike, back out from a parking spot, etc...
Can't image what the 600 feels like....

I didn't "outgrow" the Ninja skill wise because you can never stop learning no matter what bike you are on. I did however realize the bike was "physically" too small for me. It a featherweight to walk around compared to my 600, but that extra weight becomes stability when you are actually riding. I assume you are a smaller guy so it could be a perfect fit for you!

You will love the Ninja, if you have a little extra cash lying around order a 15T sprocket to stretch your gears out a bit more and make 1st a little more usable. It's how the bike should have come from the factory.

Be safe and enjoy it.

Last edited:
You will love the Ninja, if you have a little extra cash lying around order a 15T sprocket to stretch your gears out a bit more and make 1st a little more usable. It's how the bike should have come from the factory.

hey einstein...did it ever occur to you that accelerating to pass might not be such a pain if you didnt make the gearing taller ???

hey einstein...did it ever occur to you that accelerating to pass might not be such a pain if you didnt make the gearing taller ???

Considering I just put the sprocket on this past week, no.

Been running it stock all season. Nice try tho, wish it was that simple.

LoL I love these threads and responses!

OP - congrats on the new bike and have fun next season. However, please don't try and justify to the members here that the 300 doesn't have enough balls to pass safely at highway speeds. It does, and it can do it all day long. The 125...yes that's tough....250 is way easier and you can cruise at 120-140kph all day long, the 300 you can cruise even higher with no issues in passing or running out of steam below HTA territory.

You wanted a bigger bike with a 600, you got a 600, good! Enjoy it, ride it, explore on it, whatever, just have fun and be safe.

Really?.....I think you should have stayed on the 300 and learned how to ride it.....but that's just my opinion

umm 173 kmph + on track with limited straightways....the 300 has nuff power for all you high way riding needs including high speed passings

umm 173 kmph + on track with limited straightways....the 300 has nuff power for all you high way riding needs including high speed passings

Was bout to say... If you need a 600cc bike over a 300cc bike for passing purposes in 80km/h zones, you're doing it wrong. That's like saying you need a GTR to pass safely cause an Accord doesn't cut it.

That being said, being 205lbs might slow down acceleration than what I'm used to.

Actually, I've read (and about to test) that a 40T rear is more the sweet spot for this bike. It's between stock and 15T front.

14/42 = stock
14/40 = optimal (I'll find out shortly)
15/42 = a bit too tall

Reducing the rear sprocket reduces the mass on the rear wheel and can be done with the stock chain length (106 links). Some people shorten their chain to 104, but I'll leave mine until I run out of adjustment.

I don't find it too tall. But I like to cruise for the most part so bringing the revs down a bit at cruising speeds was ultimately the goal. Not having to shift in such quick succession is a nice perk too.

Works good.

Congrats on the F4i!! That was my first bike, and I absolutely loved it. I don't get some of these guys knocking you for upgrading within a year. Only you know your skill level...not them The F4i is very forgiving bike..you'll learn lots on it. I also laugh at the 'You'll get raped on insurance' posters. Why do they care so much? they're not paying it. LOL. They need to move out of mom and dad's basement and live the real world. Anyways...enjoy your ride!

Congrats on the F4i!! That was my first bike, and I absolutely loved it. I don't get some of these guys knocking you for upgrading within a year. Only you know your skill level...not them The F4i is very forgiving bike..you'll learn lots on it. I also laugh at the 'You'll get raped on insurance' posters. Why do they care so much? they're not paying it. LOL. They need to move out of mom and dad's basement and live the real world. Anyways...enjoy your ride!

Thank you :). Nice to get encouragement once in awhile. Love the Ducati btw awesome.

Thank you :). Nice to get encouragement once in awhile. Love the Ducati btw awesome.

Thanks so much! Yeah..The Ducati 848 was my dream bike...and now I have one. Loving every second on it. Cheers!

I know it was a quick upgrade but I don't see it as a "bad move" per say. What's wrong with owning something you are proud of?

What bikes would you have recommended as a step up from the Ninja 300? Keep in mind I'm 6'1 and 205 pounds so part of the reason I got the six was comfort. I still have the Ninja btw, gonna let my girl ride it next spring.

This is GTAM, and as such, the general population will tell you that anything over 250cc is "unnecessary on the street" and "a death sentence for a novice".

You'll be fine. I started on a gsxr 600 and rode the snot out of it...

Old pilot adage - There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold, pilots.

Take your time and learn the bike. It's seriously fun on the straights and coming out of the turns.

Because of my size I'm thinking of starting on a 500cc standard (cb500f or equivalent). Should be fun when I post that up. Still a year or so out though, plenty of time to change my mind. Have fun, stay as safe as you can. Post lots of pics!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom