New ride for MacDoc sorted ( was Rider Share thread ) | GTAMotorcycle.com

New ride for MacDoc sorted ( was Rider Share thread )

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Still plotting something to ride while in Ontario for the next 10 weeks. :unsure:
I do have my sons Emmo eScooter as a fall back.
1678853437847-png.313818

Fresh batteries courtesy dad. :rolleyes:

Mimico sold my previously owned CB500x we were trying to figure out how I could use ...no issue with that - happy it is moving on. Lots of fond memories tho the 6 days back from Jasper was a stretch for me at 72.....a few very chilly mornings on the way.

Given sons limited survival median 🥺 I plan to be back again after a year or sooner if needed ....here next week til Sept.
Like a solution that covers at least 2 years.

I have medical coverage if I ride something 200cc or less as far as motorcycle goes. I still might do a few days in Japan on the return trip.

I love riding in Ontario In June and will have gear with me or at the kids ( still for sale ).

Given small pension can't afford to spend much but something to get me to the Forks and some day rides around the back roads would be nice.
Cheap - would work $1300 and insurance not high. That would give me the 2 year window for least money and be able to sell it then.
313212d9-b4f4-4b2c-b980-b640f87d0530

Burgman 200 would be perfect but not available here ....was a target ride for Japan.

Suzuki VanVan ideal but too much money at $5k.
ffda0686-9483-4e67-95a0-e45f420cf71d

Back around to the eScooters or eMcycles ...get something better than the current 2015 EMMO - then no insurance hassles but not sure about even something like a trip to the Forks which I know would be fine on the ICE 200s but then $800 needs to be spent on insurance and not sure a better EMMO would hold value.

If I found a full sized something ie Vstrom 650 to rent or RiderShare for $1500 that was insured then I'd need to spring for $1450 for medical insurance and have nothing to show for it.

Buy a Vstrom 650 or some such certified
3230281a-7388-4429-ae18-665806f39a5f

Suzuki Vstrom 650 , Dl 650. Has Madstadt windshield support, aftermarket handlebars, handlebar setbacks, engine protectors, highway pegs, gel seat centre stand, velcro on handlebar heaters. $2600 firm. Text or email Dan

and have a Canada ride that I know reasonably well, is lots of fun.
$2600, plus $1450 medical, plus $800 insurance

and on the very outside of possible
624ada85-3a53-4ecb-bef9-8fcf90f41880

a model I spent many Km riding.
Ideas welcome. TIA

crumb_head_explode.jpg

Thanks - we've known about the tumour for a few years but it was recently diagnosed as a Stage4 instead of Stage2.
Survival on a Stage2 is reasonable and gave time for technology to progress. Median survival for Stage4 is 18 months so not enough time for real progress tho he has a new drug that at least makes his remaining time a better outcome. He is still working which I think a positive thing and his work being very supportive.
His last test last week was quite positive and that's good news. A very few have survived 20 years....but that is rare. :confused:
He's got a good team in Toronto that specialize in this and run clinical trials for treatment which he is in. Fingers crossed. Glad Igot the riding in with in when we did and looking forward to staying with him the next 10 weeks.

Sending you some good thoughts for you and your son, @MacDoc.

I have medical coverage if I ride something 200cc or less as far as motorcycle goes. I still might do a few days in Japan on the return trip.

Have you considered a TeeDub? They're bulletproof and can even do (very) short stints on the highway.

You can get an older model for about $3K and they keep their value. You can probably sell it for exactly what you bought it for.

Here's one, but a bit older...

Could probably find one born in this millennium for about the same price.

I'd love one ...always liked the model. That's ideal that I can sell for about what I pay.
I know I can with the Vstrom - but then I have a $1450 medical cover.
I lose that if I stay under 200cc. Thanks for the lead.
Hoping to get something already certified.

Thanks for thoughts on the kid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230616-074101_copy_720x1560.png
    Screenshot_20230616-074101_copy_720x1560.png
    1 MB · Views: 12
A brand new XR150L is $4590, which you could finance for as low as $18/week before tax (roughly $89/mo with tax):

Sell it in 24 months for $3700 to walk away, or pocket anything more.

@MacDoc

A little guy like this will be dependable, economical and I'm guessing $500 or less a year to insure (my little 175 is <$300)

100MPG is pretty good, so is $1450 sale price. They will run at 100kmh all day, with bursts to 130 no problem.

Another small fave of mine is the Vstar 250. It's over your displacement limit, but they are super easy to ride, simple to maintain, and very cheap to insure. You can find low km versions for $1500-2000 regularly.

Thanks - can't go over the displacement limit on a small bike if I went that way.

Thanks to all for suggestions. I'll be in GTA on Tuesday and mostly out of touch in between. Still need feedback from the bday kid ( 15th ).
Storage remains an issue ...hoped for dottor but she has neighbours SUV stuffed in their shared garage :(
Too many moving parts o_O

Tough to find anything under 200cc but how about a CBR125? The newer ones are larger than the ~2008 models I originally had.

Cheap to buy, insure, and you’ll get all your money back at the end of the 10 weeks.

Sorry about your son, I can’t imagine that pain.

Thanks - I think the 125 a bit too small to haul me or the kid around. There are actually quite a few machines. The Honda 150 scoot is very attractive for the purpose but still need info from the kid.
He's still working in between treatments and in reasonable spirits but glioblastoma is such a killer and too often in a short period.
It evolved out of his stage2 which had a much longer media survival time.
It is what it is ....bio.jbtfsplk.jpg

He's still working in between treatments and in reasonable spirits but glioblastoma is such a killer and too often in a short period.
It evolved out of his stage2 which had a much longer media survival time.
Really sorry to hear about your son, he's got a fight to fight.

You know there is support all over this place should you need it.

Yeah thanks - appreciate the support from GTAM
....the brain cancer issue has been around for a while - almost lured him back into riding a few years back when I got him the CBF1000 after his diagnosis with Stage2 but no go.
Stage4 is new tho and tough to handle as far as future goes. So far treatment is worse than the tumour but the beast shifts quickly.....

Always hope for a longer run and cancer tech moves very quickly but this is a tough diagnosis. We'll have some good times when I get there.

I've sort of narrowed down a ride. Baby Burgman look a like so I'm comfortable with the form factor and Honda reliable.
2013 - low mileage so no belt issues and saftied. - asking is $2950 which I'd hope to get lower.
Fits the under 200c category which takes $1450 sunk cost out the project- would be happy tooling around the secondary roads. Top speed supposedly 70 mph but with all the tupperware I'd guess 100 kph would be all which would be okay.
1d70b616-a64e-4da5-8231-1b02b0f23886

Eliminated eBike upgrade for now but still chatting with him
My challenge is a parking spot near Barsuda Drive in Sauga.

Back
Top Bottom