need help changing a swingarm bracket! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need help changing a swingarm bracket!

maybe you're mistaking what i am replacing here

this is only a bracket that attaches which will hold the footrests that's all.

That might be why you took it off, but there's a reason it's called a swingarm bracket on the parts diagram. That 20mm nut you removed wasn't just holding on the bracket, it holds the swingarm shaft in place.

That might be why you took it off, but there's a reason it's called a swingarm bracket on the parts diagram. That 20mm nut you removed wasn't just holding on the bracket, it holds the swingarm shaft in place.

huh! i see what u mean. i didn't have a torque wrench that locks with weight settings. so i just paid attention to how much force i had to give it when i removed the nut... then i applied the same amount of pressure tightening it.. but maybe i will look into buying a proper torque wrench and give it a test before i take it out for a ride!

huh! i see what u mean. i didn't have a torque wrench that locks with weight settings. so i just paid attention to how much force i had to give it when i removed the nut... then i applied the same amount of pressure tightening it.. but maybe i will look into buying a proper torque wrench and give it a test before i take it out for a ride!

Over torque or under torque, either is bad. Did you happen to notice if there was any lock tight on it? You can't just remove a swingarm nut and tighten with feel, it needs proper tq specs , they are there for a reason.

and this is why everytime I buy a used bike or sled or boat and the owners tell me they do all thier own repair and maintenance I spend about three days checking everything that may have ever been touched.

Over torque or under torque, either is bad. Did you happen to notice if there was any lock tight on it? You can't just remove a swingarm nut and tighten with feel, it needs proper tq specs , they are there for a reason.

Ok now you making me worried
what does the "lock tight" mean?

Should I just undo it and get a proper torque wrench?
does anyone have a torque wrench I can borrow?

LocTite is a thread locker adhesive, it prevents nuts/bolts from coming loose, use the blue version it's not as strong and it will allow you to remove the nuts and bolts at a latter time, the red will be a pain, and usually needs an impact gun to remove

and you probably should get a torque wrench, and have that nut/bolt tightened to spec

http://www.loctite.com/index2.php?cc=ca

can be purchased at Canadian Tire

Loctite_Family_Threadlocking_285782_print_1772H_1772W.jpg

Last edited:
LocTite is a thread locker adhesive, it prevents nuts/bolts from coming loose, use the blue version it's not as strong and it will allow you to remove the nuts and bolts at a latter time, the red will be a pain, and usually needs an impact gun to remove

and you probably should get a torque wrench, and have that nut/bolt tightened to spec

http://www.loctite.com/index2.php?cc=ca

can be purchased at Canadian Tire

Loctite_Family_Threadlocking_285782_print_1772H_1772W.jpg

see i know what that locktite is and what it does

funny thing is i did not see ANYTHING on that nut when i loosened it. as i saw that on other parts of the bike such as bar ends and stuff, but i did not see ANY on that nut. i was easily able to remove that nut so i'm confused now! when i removed that nut, it was clean. really clean.

Last edited:
I believe that is the same one as I have, I have no issues with it, and I have used it to rebuild two bikes so far..

thanks man i'll take care of it!

80ft pounds is a lot, its a big shaft and nut you wont strip it trust me. So just tighten it as much as you can, you'll be fine. I have a Snapon torque wrench and I don't even use it on every single bolt on a bike like that. I wouldn't go out and buy a torque wrench for just one fastener. If you just tighten it as much as you can you will be fine. As Ive said I have built that bike 2 times already from the ground up after a complete dis assembly and powder coating, and I never used my torque wrench on that pivot shaft. Been a year since the last one and the customer never called me to say their swing arm fell off. If you have a long breaker bar that will help but even a 1/2" drive ratchet should be long enough to get you tight enough

Last edited:
What about the bearings in the swingarm pivot?

What about the bearings in the swingarm pivot?

Needle bearings what about them, torque on the shaft has no effect on the needle bearings. They simply pivot on a shaft. Its just a pivot shaft, not rocket science. Im all for doing things properly and having the right tools for the job, but for this guy to go out and buy a torque wrench to tighten one nut seems unnecessary to me. Good tool to have I guess, if hes up for it, personally if I was going to invest in one Id buy something higher end

Id trust my own feel over a power fist tool personally

Gonna have to go with JohnnyP636 on this one. All kinds of machinery is put together every day without torque wrench. I've reused single use stretch bolts so take my advice fwiw*

*Never broke a bolt, stripped a nut, damaged a part or had anything major fall off.

Gentlemen, I sense you are bringing previous arguments into this discussion. I have not suggested that I think it is necessary to torque down every single fastener on a bike, Ramtin did not.... oh wait, he did suggest he was looking at a Power Fist torque wrench. On that topic I have no personal experience, I think that a torque wrench is only as good as its last calibration. It's not impossible that they are serviceable, but anybody who would put it through two calibrations to prove it would have spent more than $20 on such a tool in the first place. You would be better off borrowing one, if possible.

Johnny, the article I linked to very specifically talks about swingarm pivots. What are your thoughts on what it says?

Needle bearings what about them, torque on the shaft has no effect on the needle bearings. They simply pivot on a shaft. Its just a pivot shaft, not rocket science. Im all for doing things properly and having the right tools for the job, but for this guy to go out and buy a torque wrench to tighten one nut seems unnecessary to me. Good tool to have I guess, if hes up for it, personally if I was going to invest in one Id buy something higher end

Id trust my own feel over a power fist tool personally

that's what i've done. i gave it a good push and called it a day. hoping it would be enough.

Some people have a feel for tightening nuts and bolts, others don't. It's a kind of physical or muscle intelligence, both innate and learned through experience.

Back
Top Bottom