need help changing a swingarm bracket! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need help changing a swingarm bracket!

92015-1724NUT,FLANGED,20MM

Theres the part number from the link you provided.

Under "swingarm"

Its a swingarm nut for sure accoording to the fiche.

I would have expected bigger than 20mm.

i actually do not see that nut on this link! shows the bracket but not that center bolt and nut! or am i missing it?

Once the bracket comes off, that still leaves the "broken part" to remove. It sounds like it was a bolt head that sheared off, is that right?

if the bolt was so stuck that the head sheared off, it may not be easy to remove once that bracket is out of the way.

like i said i have a brand new bracket i don't care about that broken bolt anymore. that's why i'm replacing it cause i have the new bracket lol.

like i said i have a brand new bracket i don't care about that broken bolt anymore. that's why i'm replacing it cause i have the new bracket lol.

But is part of the broken bolt still there, preventing a new bolt from being screwed in to help secure the bracket?

But is part of the broken bolt still there, preventing a new bolt from being screwed in to help secure the bracket?

well the broken bolt is for the footrest bracket (which attaches to this bracket but it's not in the way)... doesn't affect anything in replacing this bracket that we're talking about. but yes it's preventing me to attach the final footrest bracket.

Last edited:
92015-1724NUT,FLANGED,20MM

Theres the part number from the link you provided.

Under "swingarm"

Its a swingarm nut for sure accoording to the fiche.

I would have expected bigger than 20mm.

Looks like 20mm shaft. Socket to fit nut will be larger.

Looks like 20mm shaft. Socket to fit nut will be larger.

yeah absolutely right: bolt is 20mm but the nut is bigger.

i just removed all the other nuts except for this center one that we're talking about which i'll head to canadian tire for and get the right socket... thanks guys u all have been very helpful.

You may need something to hold on to the other end too, otherwise the whole nut and bolt may rotate.

You may need something to hold on to the other end too, otherwise the whole nut and bolt may rotate.

i'll keep that in mind thank u!

I have torn down and rebuilt this bike more then once to powder coat them, so I have removed and re installed that part a few times. Its an easy job if you have the tools and something to hold the bike in the air while your doing it to take the bikes weight off the swingarm. As that part is basically what holds the swingarm onto the frame . You could probably still do it without suspending the bike, but it makes it a lot easier as there is no pressure on the mounts, so lining up the parts is easier with it suspended.

Id help you out for a few bucks but Scarborough is a little far to drive my V8 truck from Mississauga, it would cost me more then its worth in gas to get out to you. If you can bring the bike to me, Id do it for a few bucks

I have torn down and rebuilt this bike more then once to powder coat them, so I have removed and re installed that part a few times. Its an easy job if you have the tools and something to hold the bike in the air while your doing it to take the bikes weight off the swingarm. As that part is basically what holds the swingarm onto the frame . You could probably still do it without suspending the bike, but it makes it a lot easier as there is no pressure on the mounts, so lining up the parts is easier with it suspended.

Id help you out for a few bucks but Scarborough is a little far to drive my V8 truck from Mississauga, it would cost me more then its worth in gas to get out to you. If you can bring the bike to me, Id do it for a few bucks

good tip!
i just got the socket... gonna try doing it tomorrow without any support... right now the rear wheel is on rear stand... do u recommend putting it on kick stand or leave it on rear stand?

good tip!
i just got the socket... gonna try doing it tomorrow without any support... right now the rear wheel is on rear stand... do u recommend putting it on kick stand or leave it on rear stand?

You can use the kickstand and some blocks under the engine case, to act as a ghetto stand to get the weight off the rear wheel/swingarm. Basically lean the bike on the kickstand and put blocks under the engine case until it lefts the rear wheel off the ground. Loosen all the bolts before lifting it, so when you have it in the air your just un threading them and putting on the new part loosely

Like so
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/3842/189470.html?1253630088

Last edited:
You can use the kickstand and some blocks under the engine case, to act as a ghetto stand to get the weight off the rear wheel/swingarm. Basically lean the bike on the kickstand and put blocks under the engine case until it lefts the rear wheel off the ground. Loosen all the bolts before lifting it, so when you have it in the air your just un threading them and putting on the new part loosely

Like so
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/3842/189470.html?1253630088

i just did it with the kickstand down and no support what-so-ever. took me 5 minutes . literally lol.. just another thanks to everyone!
i got crash bars installed on it too now... just waiting for my GIVI racks and i will be ready for touring before the season starts! EXCITED! gonna add some auxiliary lights and a few more things.. i'll post pics when done :)

Happy ending!

What was the socket size?? I got a lot of money riding on this!

Did you torque that nut down after putting it back together?

I mean to spec. Google tells me that a ER6N of indeterminate year should have the pivot torqued to 80 ft lbs

Back
Top Bottom