need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

Majority of BB10 users who switched to Android will tell you BB10 truly was a superior OS (apart fro the app gap), Its a travesty BB10 never took off and was late to the party.

the BB10 was far more "fluid" and stable, and the multitasking blows android out of the water.

Example : I use youtube to stream my music. On BB10, I could play youtube, and "close" the app while the music still played, and continue doing other tasks or consult my GPS. On Android, as soon as you exit the youtube app to respond to an email or check a website or check your GPS, the Music stops. Stoooooo-pid. (yes, I know about "split screen" on android, but its still ghey and doesn't work with all apps) and on BB10, I could open and use as many screens as I want and switch between them seamlessly.

Also, on BB10, when I would stream my youtube, I would "close the screen" to save battery life. ON Android, as soon as you close your screen, the Music stops! Of course leaving the screen on chews battery life. Stooooo-pid.

For any BB10 ppl who are switching over to Android, do yourself a favour and get a BlackBerry Android, they did their best to bring the BlackBerry experience, security and flavour over to the inferior Android framework, so you will still be familiar with it. The Hub works just great on BB Android.
Download Firefox. Open YouTube in desktop mode. Now you can switch apps, close screens, etc. It'll play.

Or pay $10/mth to Google for YouTube premium.

So it's been a month with the Samsung S7 which replaced my 5 year old BB Z10, and bear in mind that I am not a tech geek.

Yeah the camera is a lot better. Yeah there are more apps. Yeah the apps actually seem to be updated.

It doesn't integrate with Bluetooth in the car very well (Chrysler Uconnect). Phone works OK, but streaming music ... or doing ANYthing else ... no. The Blackberry was smart enough that when I pressed the "Media" button on Uconnect, the phone knew that it should start the music application and start playing (on whatever settings it happened to default to or was previously set to - you could change this if you wanted but you didn't *have to* fiddle with the phone to make it work - you pressed "media" and it started playing.) This thing ... Nope! I had to install an app to play music *at all*. And if you press "media" in the car ... nothing happens. You have to fiddle with the phone to open the music app and start playing because it's too stupid to realize that maybe that's what I want to do. Not something I want to be doing while driving.

I don't care for the way it switches between tasks. BB10 was better.

I still haven't figured out how to get emails through the phone, either, although that's partly because I don't necessarily want to get them through the day ...
In the Bluetooth settings on your phone, you can add your uConnect as a "trusted device" and give it instructions what to do when Bluetooth connected.
I. E. When paired to uConnect, open music app.

You set it up once, and should do what the bb used to before.

spin in any way you want, but its quite clear Win Phone is on life support.
Keep trying to dig yourself out of that hole and move the goal posts some more while you're at it. Regardless of your sweeping generalizations that were plainly shown to be wrong, W10M can be a reasonable option for many people. It is not near as bad as BB has been forever.

I can play youtube in the background or on lock screen. lol. It also BT streams well and allows the use of the vehicle interface.

Posted 6 days ago here, https://www.christianpost.com/news/...uncement-on-killing-the-windows-phone-207451/
Whether it is called the Surface Phone or Andromeda, one thing is certain: Microsoft is not done with the mobile phone market yet as declared by no less than the company's CEO, Satya Nadella, who said in an interview last year that it will continue to make mobile devices.

"We will continue to be in the phone market not as defined by today's market leaders, but by what it is that we can uniquely do in what is the most ultimate mobile device," Nadella told the Australian Financial Review last year.

More product development talk here from earlier this month.
https://www.windowslatest.com/2017/11/08/details-microsoft-andromeda-foldable-surface-phone/

Last edited:
As a current BB user do I really want to hitch my wagon to another sick horse?

If it does what you want at a great price and value, why not. That's often why people stick with non IOS/Android phones. Picking a phone not a forever choice, a do-or-die choice or an either/or choice.

Also, if you use a Windows 10 computer like many people do, you'll find a W10M phone easy to pick up and understand, and you'll get better at the same time using and understanding a W10 computer. The overlap is incredible.

Again, it's just highlighting a consideration and suggestion for this thread and some recent posts asking for input.

Last edited:
I still use a Z30. I stream from youtube as well but music always stops when I lock the screen or minimize to check a txt.

Really? I also have the z30 and don't have this issue whatsoever. I have an ancient plan for unlimited data so YouTube is excellent for me as I really don't have any music stored anywhere.

We must be the only two that bought this phone! I still love it.

Probally has to do with YouTube update since they launched the YouTube pro. Some phones might not have updated.

XDA link I posted for androids also eliminates ads, beside background play. I'm sure windows 10 and BB also has similar deleopment

Really? I also have the z30 and don't have this issue whatsoever. I have an ancient plan for unlimited data so YouTube is excellent for me as I really don't have any music stored anywhere.

We must be the only two that bought this phone! I still love it.

Hello sister!

Have you tried a reboot? I find my Z30 needs it once a week or so for the sake of returning battery life to normal.

Last edited:
Cool thanks guys for the suggestions! I always forget there's more than Apple and Samsung out there!

Actually the Moto G5/G5+ came up in my search as good phones, but just need to hunt one down to check out look and feel.

Win phones are great as I know a lot of my cousins have them (especially in Europe) and they're all happy with them. I thought that whole segment was dead, and didn't snap up a phone Win had on for sale for $200 on Black Friday sales :( I did see a few Lumia's for sale but primarily older models.

As a current BB user do I really want to hitch my wagon to another sick horse?
If my BB10 dies tomorrow I'll probably switch to WP, or maybe get myself another Z30. Still does everything I need.

I was starting to give in to Android, thinking maybe it was the least-worst option of the big two, then yesterday the story broke about them always tracking your location even when location services are off. Exactly the type of thing that's kept me wary of ever joining the Android fray.

It's hopeless. Either you pay Apple ridiculously to force you to do what they want, or you save a bit of money and get your personal info abused by Alphabet.

Or you rebel.

Actually the Moto G5/G5+ came up in my search as good phones, but just need to hunt one down to check out look and feel.

Was going to mention this earlier, the Moto G series are outstanding bang for the buck. You are definitely on the right track if you are looking for a "good" budget phone. I'd skip the windows junk. Even Microsofts own executives have jumped to Android. If they won't support their own product, that should tell you all you need to know.

If my BB10 dies tomorrow I'll probably switch to WP, or maybe get myself another Z30. Still does everything I need.

I was starting to give in to Android, thinking maybe it was the least-worst option of the big two, then yesterday the story broke about them always tracking your location even when location services are off. Exactly the type of thing that's kept me wary of ever joining the Android fray.

It's hopeless. Either you pay Apple ridiculously to force you to do what they want, or you save a bit of money and get your personal info abused by Alphabet.

Or you rebel.

the Z30 was my favourite BB10 device. truly an underrated phone. If it wasn't for lack of apps, and also the fact that BB has abandoned the platform, I feel for anybody that would stick with it.

as for the location tracking? I'm not into clandestine operations, I don't see the big deal if they can track my location (I'm not even sure why they even care) out of millions and millions of phones, Im honoured that they would chose my exciting life to track that I hang out at Starbucks.

To me, its no different then being constantly monitored by cameras at every bank and store and facility, subway, etc. We are constantly being watched. Hows that for privacy?

Last edited:
Good luck Mimico Polak. Lots of options out there.

Fastar, if there is no reasonable third party option out there in the next few years I would choose Android over Apple as well. I agree it's like the "least-worst option". :)
Was going to mention this earlier, the Moto G series are outstanding bang for the buck. You are definitely on the right track if you are looking for a "good" budget phone. I'd skip the windows junk. Even Microsofts own executives have jumped to Android. If they won't support their own product, that should tell you all you need to know.

....the Z30 was my favourite BB10 device. truly an underrated phone. If it wasn't for lack of apps, and also the fact that BB has abandoned the platform, I feel for anybody that would stick with it.

as for the location tracking? I'm not into clandestine operations, I don't see the big deal if they can track my location (I'm not even sure why they even care) out of millions and millions of phones, Im honoured that they would chose my exciting life to track that I hang out at Starbucks.

To me, its no different then being constantly monitored by cameras at every bank and store and facility, subway, etc. We are constantly being watched. Hows that for privacy?
LOL. You really earn your reputation. Quoted for posterity.

For those interested, location tracking and privacy are big black holes if they aren't protected. Off to the US supreme court...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-supreme-court-weighs-major-061123158.html
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ivacy-rights-case_us_5a1f1ecee4b0392a4ebace9e

Last edited:
I don't believe for a minute that they aren't all tracking our location/app use/etc etc etc. You give up privacy when you become 'dependent' on tech.

Aren't they tracking your location for use in the traffic apps?
Let them track me.
I'm at Work.
Now I'm home.
Rinse.
Repeat.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Aren't they tracking your location for use in the traffic apps?
Let them track me.
I'm at Work.
Now I'm home.
Rinse.
Repeat.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

plus the phone can always point you towards nearest ice cream shop! Never a bad thing!

Back
Top Bottom