need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

I don't care for the way it switches between tasks. BB10 was better.

I still haven't figured out how to get emails through the phone, either, although that's partly because I don't necessarily want to get them through the day ...

Majority of BB10 users who switched to Android will tell you BB10 truly was a superior OS (apart fro the app gap), Its a travesty BB10 never took off and was late to the party.

the BB10 was far more "fluid" and stable, and the multitasking blows android out of the water.

Example : I use youtube to stream my music. On BB10, I could play youtube, and "close" the app while the music still played, and continue doing other tasks or consult my GPS. On Android, as soon as you exit the youtube app to respond to an email or check a website or check your GPS, the Music stops. Stoooooo-pid. (yes, I know about "split screen" on android, but its still ghey and doesn't work with all apps) and on BB10, I could open and use as many screens as I want and switch between them seamlessly.

Also, on BB10, when I would stream my youtube, I would "close the screen" to save battery life. ON Android, as soon as you close your screen, the Music stops! Of course leaving the screen on chews battery life. Stooooo-pid.

For any BB10 ppl who are switching over to Android, do yourself a favour and get a BlackBerry Android, they did their best to bring the BlackBerry experience, security and flavour over to the inferior Android framework, so you will still be familiar with it. The Hub works just great on BB Android.

Last edited:
So it's been a month with the Samsung S7 which replaced my 5 year old BB Z10, and bear in mind that I am not a tech geek.

Yeah the camera is a lot better. Yeah there are more apps. Yeah the apps actually seem to be updated.

It doesn't integrate with Bluetooth in the car very well (Chrysler Uconnect). Phone works OK, but streaming music ... or doing ANYthing else ... no. The Blackberry was smart enough that when I pressed the "Media" button on Uconnect, the phone knew that it should start the music application and start playing (on whatever settings it happened to default to or was previously set to - you could change this if you wanted but you didn't *have to* fiddle with the phone to make it work - you pressed "media" and it started playing.) This thing ... Nope! I had to install an app to play music *at all*. And if you press "media" in the car ... nothing happens. You have to fiddle with the phone to open the music app and start playing because it's too stupid to realize that maybe that's what I want to do. Not something I want to be doing while driving.

I don't care for the way it switches between tasks. BB10 was better.

I still haven't figured out how to get emails through the phone, either, although that's partly because I don't necessarily want to get them through the day ...

If you need help with S7 let me know, I have s7 edge.

I Have to hit media then manually operate the phone for music. Never heard of this auto play thing, are you using android auto?

You can set sync interval and a different interval for peak times in android (open email, open settings, click the account you want to change, sync schedule). Peak times can be slower or faster syncing than off-peak. In your case, the simplest would be to set peak time from 07:00 to 18:00 weekdays with manual sync (or every 2 hours?) and the normal sync schedule to something faster.

My ROM supports auto play on jack/BT connection, but black player also has built in support for autoplay or play on pressing a button. On top of that blackplayer has folder support which I really like.

I Have to hit media then manually operate the phone for music. Never heard of this auto play thing, are you using android auto?

Obviously you weren't spoiled by having used Blackberry first!

The Z10 knew to open the music application (which was built into BB10, not an extra app which I had to install on this phone) and start it when it saw that I had pressed "Media" on Uconnect (on the car's radio). Didn't have to touch the phone. Phone didn't even have to be in view, it could be in the glove box (which precludes a cop giving you a ticket).

The car has whatever Chrysler gives you when you check off "Uconnect" on the option box. Bear in mind that the only thing I do to computers is read what's on the screen and type at them. I don't know what's happening inside. I have no idea what Android Auto is. With Blackberry, I didn't need to, it just "worked". I don't like that I have to fiddle around with the phone in order to get it to play music over the car radio.

Obviously you weren't spoiled by having used Blackberry first!

The Z10 knew to open the music application (which was built into BB10, not an extra app which I had to install on this phone) and start it when it saw that I had pressed "Media" on Uconnect (on the car's radio). Didn't have to touch the phone. Phone didn't even have to be in view, it could be in the glove box (which precludes a cop giving you a ticket).

The car has whatever Chrysler gives you when you check off "Uconnect" on the option box. Bear in mind that the only thing I do to computers is read what's on the screen and type at them. I don't know what's happening inside. I have no idea what Android Auto is. With Blackberry, I didn't need to, it just "worked". I don't like that I have to fiddle around with the phone in order to get it to play music over the car radio.

For bluetooth in car? No. But i was on the Blackberry train for quite some time, gave up after the Z10.

Android auto mirrors your phone apps and screen on the cars touch screen. Should be some info on their website.

Think I'll have to give this thread a browse again....looking to replace my 5S as it's time for something newer. Good times....thinking Android this time but don't want contract and trying to stay sub $200 for the phone (used/refurb is ok with me). Would love the KeyOne from BB but way out of price range :(

Think I'll have to give this thread a browse again....looking to replace my 5S as it's time for something newer. Good times....thinking Android this time but don't want contract and trying to stay sub $200 for the phone (used/refurb is ok with me). Would love the KeyOne from BB but way out of price range :(

keyone has only been out for a few months now. good luck snagging one for $200 range. I just sold my Silver edition for $450. and upgraded to the cooler Black Edition.

average price for used K1 are around $400 and up on the used market. Give one a whirl, its a pretty good phone. Check out the reviews, you will only see good things and many are proclaiming it the "best blackberry" in years. I think they are right.

Check out the AXON 7 Mini, it doesn't have the best processor so some apps can take a moment or two to load but outside of that it has been a great phone. The screen is great and it has the best built in speakers of any phone I've personally heard. I saw it on newegg.ca for $249.99 so a bit above your price. Possibly you could find a used one.

Thanks guys, I've heard good things about the Axon so will look into it. Something similar to the 5S/SE size is ideal for me.

As for K1 for $200 lol I know Sunny....never gonna happen but it's nice to wish once in a while eh? :) I just don't feel like locking down to Telus as I've not had a plan in years.

Thanks guys, I've heard good things about the Axon so will look into it. Something similar to the 5S/SE size is ideal for me.

As for K1 for $200 lol I know Sunny....never gonna happen but it's nice to wish once in a while eh? :) I just don't feel like locking down to Telus as I've not had a plan in years.

For the record the Axon is a fair bit bigger than the 5S (which I had prior). I initially referred to it as my tablet, but I've gotten used to it now.

There is great value with used Lumia 650 and 950 phones on Microsoft Windows 10 mobile. I checked kijiji and found both under $200 in ON.

There is great value with used Lumia 650 and 950 phones on Microsoft Windows 10 mobile. I checked kijiji and found both under $200 in ON.

Does MS still support the phones? How's the app selection?

Windows phones are done and no longer supported. That would be as silly as buying a new BB10 device.

Majority of BB10 users who switched to Android will tell you BB10 truly was a superior OS (apart fro the app gap), Its a travesty BB10 never took off and was late to the party.

the BB10 was far more "fluid" and stable, and the multitasking blows android out of the water.

Example : I use youtube to stream my music. On BB10, I could play youtube, and "close" the app while the music still played, and continue doing other tasks or consult my GPS. On Android, as soon as you exit the youtube app to respond to an email or check a website or check your GPS, the Music stops. Stoooooo-pid. (yes, I know about "split screen" on android, but its still ghey and doesn't work with all apps) and on BB10, I could open and use as many screens as I want and switch between them seamlessly.

Also, on BB10, when I would stream my youtube, I would "close the screen" to save battery life. ON Android, as soon as you close your screen, the Music stops! Of course leaving the screen on chews battery life. Stooooo-pid.

For any BB10 ppl who are switching over to Android, do yourself a favour and get a BlackBerry Android, they did their best to bring the BlackBerry experience, security and flavour over to the inferior Android framework, so you will still be familiar with it. The Hub works just great on BB Android.

I still use a Z30. I stream from youtube as well but music always stops when I lock the screen or minimize to check a txt.

I still use a Z30. I stream from youtube as well but music always stops when I lock the screen or minimize to check a txt.

hmm, I still have my passport from 2 years ago, perhaps with the newer 10.3.3 updates they changed it. will check again when I get a chance

Does MS still support the phones? How's the app selection?
Sunny Y S is wrong as usual. I've had three OS updates since the last time it was posted here that W10M is dead, including one last week. MS isn't rolling out new features but they are supporting the OS and still improving it. The big fall creators update for W10 included mobile. The app selection is weak compared to Android and Apple but there are lots of apps out there still though. You can check the MS store and see what's available. Maps, navi, games, music, Netflix, Skymap, Skype, Translator, recorders, etc is what I have and use. All the same as what I posted earlier still applies.

+1 you should try Android Auto Brian... I find it to be a lot better & more intelligent than Samsung's "Car Mode". I have a Note 5, similar vintage to your phone so I too can help you make it do what you want.

For the record, Android Auto is the headline way of interfacing Android phones with Bluetooth enabled vehicles. It does not come installed on all Android phones though, particularly Samsung phones as they were trying to reduce reliance on Google's ecosystem. It is available for free from the Play Store

Back
Top Bottom