Motorcycle that I bought has a Lien | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle that I bought has a Lien

Plus the buyer has all the cash in hand. He doesn't care if the bike gets repoed...
The advice here is NOT to register the bike on your name because it has a lien. So why not register it and who cares if the lien is in your name? Enjoy it! Unless you can't get the plates and insurance on it. Lots of these sellers don't have a UVIP on hand, what am I suppose to do, pay $20 every time I go see a bike for sale? :rolleyes:

The advice here is NOT to register the bike on your name because it has a lien. So why not register it and who cares if the lien is in your name? Enjoy it! Unless you can't get the plates and insurance on it. Lots of these sellers don't have a UVIP on hand, what am I suppose to do, pay $20 every time I go see a bike for sale? :rolleyes:
Once registered the lienholder knows where to come get it.

Sent from the future

The lien doesn't go in anyone's name, it goes against the bike - it's a conditional transfer of ownership to the lender if the borrower doesn't meet the payment obligations. That's what gives them the right to repossess it, regardless of who is in possession at that time.

As for the UVIP, the seller is legally responsible for providing a UVIP, so I always ask and remind them before going to see it. Usually if they don't already have it, they'll go and get it.

The lien doesn't go in anyone's name, it goes against the bike - it's a conditional transfer of ownership to the lender if the borrower doesn't meet the payment obligations. That's what gives them the right to repossess it, regardless of who is in possession at that time.

As for the UVIP, the seller is legally responsible for providing a UVIP, so I always ask and remind them before going to see it. Usually if they don't already have it, they'll go and get it.
There is an HTA charge for not providing a UVIP. I have never heard of it being laid. If I am serious about a bike, I have no problem buying the UVIP (anyone can buy any UVIP with the VIN) and that way I know it is legit. A fake UVIP showing no liens is easy enough to make. By getting it from SO, I know it is accurate and up to date (still may miss a very recently filed lien but that situation shouldn't happen often).

There is an HTA charge for not providing a UVIP. I have never heard of it being laid. If I am serious about a bike, I have no problem buying the UVIP (anyone can buy any UVIP with the VIN) and that way I know it is legit. A fake UVIP showing no liens is easy enough to make. By getting it from SO, I know it is accurate and up to date (still may miss a very recently filed lien but that situation shouldn't happen often).
Buying used I have sometimes stiffed the guy for the last $20 saying that's for the UVIP you don't have.

Thanks all, for all the suggestions. So update on the situation - after talking to the financing company. They are not going to release any info, not even how much balance is left on the lien, unless the seller gives express permission. At this point no other option left other than to go to the seller's house in person and confront him. He is still not responding to my calls.

Thanks all, for all the suggestions. So update on the situation - after talking to the financing company. They are not going to release any info, not even how much balance is left on the lien, unless the seller gives express permission. At this point no other option left other than to go to the seller's house in person and confront him. He is still not responding to my calls.
Bring a witness/record the conversation (phone recording in pocket) IMO.

I'd take a sign to plant on public property in front of their house. Public shaming can get dirtbags to talk. If that doesn't work, add a "business" on google maps at their house. Use your imagination. It could be a warning to future buyers, it could be massage parlour with his phone number. When a business has been claimed, it will be hard for the seller to change anything.

LOL.

I kinda feel like then I would tell them that I've just bought it and have no intention of paying off any lien if they want to play stick in the mud. They can go suck eggs in terms of recovery if he decides to stop payments.

I would also have the motorcycle in tow, Never know they might give the money back
You have too much faith in people. I would think any decent human who had intentions to unwind the deal would pickup the phone or call the buyer back.

But maybe a big drama scene in front of his neighbours will be enough.

You have too much faith in people. I would think any decent human who had intentions to unwind the deal would pickup the phone or call the buyer back.

But maybe a big drama scene in front of his neighbours will be enough.
Maybe even family if you are lucky. If I found out my kid/spouse had stiffed someone, I would lose my crap.

LOL.

I kinda feel like then I would tell them that I've just bought it and have no intention of paying off any lien if they want to play stick in the mud. They can go suck eggs in terms of recovery if he decides to stop payments.

Nothing you can say or do will stop a repossession if the borrower defaults. I remember a guy who bought a bike with a lien and had it repossessed after the seller defaulted. For some reason, he was told when the repo man was coming, so he had the bare frame ready and waiting because "that's how I got it".

Nothing you can say or do will stop a repossession if the borrower defaults. I remember a guy who bought a bike with a lien and had it repossessed after the seller defaulted. For some reason, he was told when the repo man was coming, so he had the bare frame ready and waiting because "that's how I got it".
And if the seller is being a huge dick, he can provide contact information of the person that has the bike. It is in their best interest to get the bike to auction and collection action wrapped up asap. Hell, they could use the buyers money to pay off any outstanding amount after auction and still be left with some money for their efforts. That leaves the buyer to sue them. It's BS that the cops call this civil and don't start throwing around fraud charges.

How are they going to find it? ;)

And if the seller is being a huge dick, he can provide contact information of the person that has the bike.
Even IF they had contact info for the buyer, they still have to get their hands on it. Last i checked we did have laws in this country protecting search and seizure.

And if the seller is being a huge dick, he can provide contact information of the person that has the bike. It is in their best interest to get the bike to auction and collection action wrapped up asap. Hell, they could use the buyers money to pay off any outstanding amount after auction and still be left with some money for their efforts. That leaves the buyer to sue them. It's BS that the cops call this civil and don't start throwing around fraud charges.
Isn't it already illegal to sell the bike without the UVIP?

How are they going to find it? ;)
If buyer called from their number, that gives them something to dig into (and not much digging is required). Seller can pass info on phone/email of buyer. We have no idea what this bike is, maybe it is unique and gets spotted. Maybe buyer doesn't have a garage to keep the bike and planned on keeping it in their driveway. Sadly, the repo order is valid even if the buyer thought they bought the bike.

Back
Top Bottom