Motorcycle that I bought has a Lien | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle that I bought has a Lien

RevvedUp

Looking for some guidance for my particular situation.
Bought a used bike from someone on Kijiji. He didn't have the UVIP, but the ownership matched the VIN Number on the bike. Paid for the bike, towed it home, then to a shop to do the safety. Took the safety, ownership and my plate portion to the Service Ontario. They print the UVIP , which says the bike has a lien. Suggested that I don't transfer ownership to my name until the lien is settled.

Bought used bikes before, so I know should get the seller to have the UVIP ready or get the UVIP yourself before buying the bike. This time I just missed it. Its a inexpensive older bike, so I didn't expect it to have a lien anyway. Plus I drove far to pick it up.

Trying to call the guy and texting. He is not responding.

What are my options here? I could drive all the way back and confront the guy. Should I get some local authorities involved? The UVIP has the lender company's info. Should I contact them to find out how much the lien is? If its a small amount I would rather just pay it off. Or would they repo the bike once I tell them about the situation?

I had this happen. Fortunately it was an error and the seller was able to contact the creditor and have them provide a proper release. At that point I transferred the ownership.
I would contact the seller, in person if necessary. No one else really cares about your problem (police, lender, MTO, etc.).

I had this happen. Fortunately it was an error and the seller was able to contact the creditor and have them provide a proper release. At that point I transferred the ownership.
I would contact the seller, in person if necessary. No one else really cares about your problem (police, lender, MTO, etc.
The seller is not returning my texts and calls. Would it be risky to contact the financing company directly?

The seller is not returning my texts and calls. Would it be risky to contact the financing company directly?
Don't transfer ownership till you are happy with the lein.

I'd call the lienholder, dont tell them who you are or where the bike is. If the lein has already been paid, ask them to release the security. If it's an old lien that is in default/collections, they may be willing to deal... offer 0.20 on the dollar if that doesn't make the deal suck too much.

If it's really bad, tear up the ownership, and part out the bike.

There is really no recourse with a private seller. That's the purpose of getting a UVIP at the time of purchase.

Caveat Emptor.

sometimes the financial institution will take their time telling telling UVIP that the lien is paid/clear

Legally he has to provide a UVIP.

Legally he has to provide a UVIP.

Legally he also needed to make payments on his bike.

Legally he also needed to make payments on his bike.

Maybe he did.

I cleared a loan with Honda Canada June 1st and was promised that I would see a loan paid in full notification within 2 weeks, still haven’t received anything. It’s not a big deal currently as I have no plans to sell in the near future

Thanks for the all the responses. Definitely a lessons learned for me. I am going to keep trying to contact the seller, and will call the lender next week to check the status / balance of the outstanding amount on the lien.
Hopefully its just a case of all the payments have bene made and they just need to close the lien off.

I would not register the bike. the lien would still go against the seller if the money is still owed. As far as the lien holder is concerned if the person stops making payments its on him not you

Don't transfer ownership till you are happy with the lein.

I'd call the lienholder, dont tell them who you are or where the bike is. If the lein has already been paid, ask them to release the security. If it's an old lien that is in default/collections, they may be willing to deal... offer 0.20 on the dollar if that doesn't make the deal suck too much.

If it's really bad, tear up the ownership, and part out the bike.

There is really no recourse with a private seller. That's the purpose of getting a UVIP at the time of purchase.

Caveat Emptor.
Pretty much.The police will say it's a civil issue, not crime.

If you call the lienholder just say you're considering the bike and need to know the lien situation. Some lien holder stake a lot of time clearing the books.

You can do the usual social media rating on the seller or get someone else to call him.

Smal claims court may apply but it's your time with no guarantee of results.

I bought a bike with a lean and the guy was upfront and knocked what was owing off of the price. Service Ontario would not let me register the bike in my name until the lean was clear. I went to the bank that had the lien and they wouldn't let me pay off the lien. I had to send the money to the sellers bank account and then get him to go and pay off the lien. He did it but it took 3 days for him to get around to it. Pretty unnerving as he already had all of the money and lived 5hrs away.

surprised to hear Service Ontario would not let me register the bike in my name until the lean was clear" "bank that had the lien and they wouldn't let me pay off the lien"

I am not surprised at the bank, there is personal, protected information involved.
I DO NOT see Service Ontario refusing to register the vehicle. It is a civil matter and they have no skin in the game, transferring ownership with a lien is PROBABLY a bad idea, but 100% totally legal and above board (read the disclaimer on the seller's package).
You can do a PPSA search to see if there are any claims on a vehicle if you have the VIN. If there is a lien, the info a PPSA search will disclose enough information that the bank will let you pay it off... the bank will TELL you they won't take your money, but they will

I would not register the bike. the lien would still go against the seller if the money is still owed. As far as the lien holder is concerned if the person stops making payments its on him not you
Yeah but OP is stuck with a bike he can't register or ride.

Back
Top Bottom