Min wage increase | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

Minimum wage jobs shouldn't be viewed as careers but more and more full time semi-slightly- skilled jobs are now minimum wage jobs.

There are quite a few full time production or assembly jobs out there that are paying minimum wage.

Any job that requires the employer to rely on the quality of an employees work output shouldn't be a minimum wage job.

Minimum wage jobs shouldn't be viewed as careers but more and more full time semi-slightly- skilled jobs are now minimum wage jobs.

There are quite a few full time production or assembly jobs out there that are paying minimum wage.

Any job that requires the employer to rely on the quality of an employees work output shouldn't be a minimum wage job.
Which assembly job?

The automakers, well...specifically, their suppliers actually, are a good culprit here. The automakers want everything done for next to nothing and that trickles down to the logistic streams. Factories producing parts are now on a rush to the bottom of the wage scale because they just can't afford to pay more based on the contracts they're getting...and if they don't do the work for those piss poor contracts, no worries, some other company will, and the race to the bottom intensifies.

The company I work for had (for many decades) a contract with GM to handle their Just In Time freight, coordinating it at our facility, loading it on a trailer, and getting it over to the plant. When GM was in massive cost cutting mode 8-10 years ago we walked away from the contract at renewal time because, simply put, they wanted it done for what would have amounted to a loss on my companies behalf. Now there's a bunch of bottom feeder transport companies out there fighting each other to do it for less and less every year, and you want to believe that their employees are ultimately the ones paying the price.

The automakers, well...specifically, their suppliers actually, are a good culprit here. The automakers want everything done for next to nothing and that trickles down to the logistic streams. Factories producing parts are now on a rush to the bottom of the wage scale because they just can't afford to pay more based on the contracts they're getting...and if they don't do the work for those piss poor contracts, no worries, some other company will, and the race to the bottom intensifies.

The company I work for had (for many decades) a contract with GM to handle their Just In Time freight, coordinating it at our facility, loading it on a trailer, and getting it over to the plant. When GM was in massive cost cutting mode 8-10 years ago we walked away from the contract at renewal time because, simply put, they wanted it done for what would have amounted to a loss on my companies behalf. Now there's a bunch of bottom feeder transport companies out there fighting each other to do it for less and less every year, and you want to believe that their employees are ultimately the ones paying the price.
That's how it goes when there's a glut of supply in the willing workforce. Doesn't take a PhD to drive a truck and run a warehouse. Obviously the automakers are fine with the level of service they get from the bottom feeders otherwise they wouldn't use them.

I encounter this once in a while on large projects. My bids will sometimes be twice what a cheapo competitor wants. Can't compete there, onto the next gig. Although it's happened three times already that I've been called in to finish a contract the bottom feeders couldn't. The market is a funny thing. Eventually the 'true' bottom is found.

run your own business and dont ever have to work for minimum wage. A lot of you sure seem smarter than the companies you work for, and some guy started the company you work for, so just go outsmart him. It looks so easy.....

thats what I told inreb

go become a big-shot CEO instead of crying about unfair compensation

must be easy right?

run your own business and dont ever have to work for minimum wage. A lot of you sure seem smarter than the companies you work for, and some guy started the company you work for, so just go outsmart him. It looks so easy.....
Well said.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That's how it goes when there's a glut of supply in the willing workforce. Doesn't take a PhD to drive a truck and run a warehouse. Obviously the automakers are fine with the level of service they get from the bottom feeders otherwise they wouldn't use them.

I encounter this once in a while on large projects. My bids will sometimes be twice what a cheapo competitor wants. Can't compete there, onto the next gig. Although it's happened three times already that I've been called in to finish a contract the bottom feeders couldn't. The market is a funny thing. Eventually the 'true' bottom is found.

In trucking, you only wish that could be the case. Trucking rates in Canada are kept artificially low by the federal government who pays for free transport licence training to anyone who is unemployed, or who has just entered Canada and wants a CDL. This floods the transport industry with drivers to force wages and trucking rates down. You should see the big biz lobby scream bloody murder when someone wants to cut that subsidy. The threats fly quickly. If the funding disappeared transport rates would double since driver turnover in that industry is incredibly high.

In fact, I'm amazed that Trump hasn't got that on his NAFTA hit list.

Last edited:
If watching trucker vlogs on youtube has told me anything, it's that the turnover has alot to do with drivers with extremely short attention span, jumping ship to another company every few months. Seems very rare to hear of a driver working for the same company for more than a few years, and even that is pushing it. It's not an industry like manufacturing, where a guy will stay at the same company until ether it folds or he retires.

.... Trucking rates in Canada are kept artificially low by the federal government who pays for free transport licence training to anyone who is unemployed, or who has just entered Canada and wants a CDL. .......

Seriously? Where do I go to get that? Not a joke. I am unemployed and have always wanted to drive. Doesn't mean I will but will be nice to have it and if they offer it free why not?

In trucking, you only wish that could be the case. Trucking rates in Canada are kept artificially low by the federal government who pays for free transport licence training to anyone who is unemployed, or who has just entered Canada and wants a CDL. This floods the transport industry with drivers to force wages and trucking rates down. You should see the big biz lobby scream bloody murder when someone wants to cut that subsidy. The threats fly quickly. If the funding disappeared transport rates would double since driver turnover in that industry is incredibly high.

In fact, I'm amazed that Trump hasn't got that on his NAFTA hit list.
You mean government interference is bad for your business? Colour me surprised!

If watching trucker vlogs on youtube has told me anything, it's that the turnover has alot to do with drivers with extremely short attention span, jumping ship to another company every few months. Seems very rare to hear of a driver working for the same company for more than a few years,

Jumping ship to different companies often has most to do with trying to find a job that sucks less, or pays more.

FWIW I've been with my current company for over 15 years now and have no intention to go anywhere.

Seriously? Where do I go to get that? Not a joke. I am unemployed and have always wanted to drive. Doesn't mean I will but will be nice to have it and if they offer it free why not?

Go to EI and express an interest. If you've been on it long enough, they'll hook you up.

It's not a job for everyone...because, well..it's not a job - it's a lifestyle. A lot of people that get their A licence last 6 or 12 months in the industry and get out as it's not anything like some think it's like.

To add upon PP's post, from what I've seen many companies will only hire contract/ agency guys now. But there are quite a few drivers that I have seen that have been with the same company for 20 ish years. But those are *mostly* the big companies: JD Smith, Robert, Erb etc.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

You mean government interference is bad for your business? Colour me surprised!

That only applies to when businesses want less regulations, but when they go bankurupt due to poor business practices and bad management, then government intervention is quite good(too big to fail, government subsidies, using government assets for free((Like R&D))
and government intervention is a good thing!

The US department of defense was behind many of the technologies and protocols that led to the creation of the internet, but none of the e-commerce giants pay them a royalty.

Nasa was instrumental for many developments and advancements in aerospace, but bombardier and Boeing dont pay them royalties either

Real easy to parrot Neo-con talking points like a brainless puppet, government and its intervention aren't necessarily a bad thing

Last edited:
The US department of defense was behind many of the technologies and protocols that led to the creation of the internet, but none of the e-commerce giants pay them a royalty.

Nasa was instrumental for many developments and advancements in aerospace, but bombardier and Boeing dont pay

The DoD, NASA, etc. Are government funded and federally regulated and canot make a profit from their research and inventions. They are made available for the good of all

That only applies to when businesses want less regulations, but when they go bankurupt due to poor business practices and bad management, then government intervention is quite good(too big to fail, government subsidies, using government assets for free((Like R&D))
and government intervention is a good thing!

Nasa was instrumental for many developments and advancements in aerospace, but bombardier and Boeing dont pay them royalties either

Real easy to parrot Neo-con talking points like a brainless puppet, government and its intervention aren't necessarily a bad thing

Sorry but interference, by definition, is a bad thing. I have no idea what NASA or any of the crap you just spewed has to do with my post. NASA and USDOD interfered with the private sector or something? Give your brain a shake.

I was also being facetious because he went on a tirade earlier seemingly supporting government giving the little guy a boost, but then did a 180 when that same sort of thinking made HIS job market more difficult. Thanks for playing.

Sorry but interference, by definition, is a bad thing. I have no idea what NASA or any of the crap you just spewed has to do with my post. NASA and USDOD interfered with the private sector or something? Give your brain a shake.

I was also being facetious because he went on a tirade earlier seemingly supporting government giving the little guy a boost, but then did a 180 when that same sort of thinking made HIS job market more difficult. Thanks for playing.

Yes...interference "By Definition" definitely is a bad thing, like the traction control that saves your life....or the cop that takes down the robber who's got 6" and 50 lbs on you is about to stab you...definitely bad to interfere.

If you could read you would get my point, but you've been watching too much fox news and drinking the cool aid

Come prepared next time kiddo

Last edited:
The DoD, NASA, etc. Are government funded and federally regulated and canot make a profit from their research and inventions. They are made available for the good of all

So now the government is good(and its agencies) are good?

Pick one, either the government and its intervention is bad, or its ok to freely use and profit/benefit from them

Cant have your cake and eat it too

Last edited:
To add upon PP's post, from what I've seen many companies will only hire contract/ agency guys now.

This goes for a lot of companies (particularly in low skilled manufacturing facilities), transportation aside. THIS was something that really should have been a part of these new laws - companies don't want to hire people directly so they go with "perma-temps" instead, sometimes working at the same facilities for years upon years, but with poor or no benefits, and really having no job security - you could have worked at a place for 10 years but if you look at a boss the wrong way one day, or (gasp) insist on a specific day off for something important, well...you're just a phone call away from being out of a job and there's squat all you can do about it.

To top it off, these companies are usually paying the agency $3-$5 per hour premium to the agency for each employee...so some guy sitting on his couch at home is potentially making hundreds of dollars per hour for just hiring someone and sending them to their farmed out job.

If the laws were changed to prevent these perma-temp situations the employees would have seen some real, tangible benefits...and hell, probably better money as well.

Back
Top Bottom