Min wage increase | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

I hope you're being dilbertly obtuse. Let me make a very simple example of fair play. A hundred people with parched lips stranded in the Mojave. You just happen to be driving thru with skids of bottled water in back. You could charge $5/bottle for a very tidy profit but that market could bear $50/bottle. Do you charge $5 or $50 or something in between. I don't know why you're talking equality of outcome or something. Is that a talking point or something?

So you do the dehydrated souls a favour and sell at a modest profit. Fifty miles later you get a flat in the middle of said desert and the garage wants $2000.00 to put in a plug.... Does your wilted body taste different to the vultures?

A tim hortons employee is responsible for his uniform and the coffee carafe, or maybe the till if he's a manager.

A mechanic is responsible for your car and his tools.

A CEO is responsible for employees, shareholders, and stakeholders sometimes numbering in the tens of thousands, and worth billions of dollars. The liability is immense. Apparently the only thing that matters is hours worked? Okay.

They are responsible for making decisions but not reimbursing losses resulting from bad decisions. That falls upon the owners / shareholders.

What if they raised the wage for a coffee clerk (not a barista) to be the equivalent of that of say, a tin knocker? Is that fair? They gotta earn a living, amirite? Why work hard? Why learn a trade? Why go to school? You deserve to make a decent wage without doing anything to merit it!
Also, let's say now everyone is pouring coffee. And now there is a shortage of, let's say, tinknockers. So now companies wanna pay the tinknockers 3x their normal wage...they should refuse, right? Because they can do the work for less. Because they SHOULD do the work for less. (Im being sarcastic)

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

It worked in the USSR. I'm being sarcastic too.

They are responsible for making decisions but not reimbursing losses resulting from bad decisions. That falls upon the owners / shareholders.

I linked to several instances where execs personally had to reimburse the company. But that's besides the point, which is that the CEO position in itself is extremely well compensated because it has a vast amount of responsibility. Failures have catastrophic financial consequences, which is why companies pay big money for whom they perceive to be the most qualified leaders. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Life.

If you are a company director you have as much or more liability than the shareholders/owners.

Show me one case where a CEO was put in jail in Canada for any kind of liability, negligence or criminal behavior. These guys screw it up and walk away laughing all the time AND they walk away with a bag-o-loot while the employees get screwed over.

Damn CEOs! Let me guess, you think it's not FAIR either?

But when my brother quit his good paying job to become an electrician's apprentice, his starting wage sucked too. But not anymore. Short term pain for long term gain.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

How did he do that? Its still somewhat convoluted as to how to become an apprentice, or join the trades

Most people say just find an employer, but who the hell hires some newbie with no experience to work as an electrical apprentice, or in the electrical field?

I know some people say join a union but i havent had the greatest experience there either...

As for unions, its been my experience that the benefits for unions far outweigh the cons, yes there are lazy bums who take advantage of the unions, but in my experience 9/10 workers are just good honest hard working folks, who genuinely deserve the benefits that come with a unionized workplace, a fair work place and a decent wage

Part of the problem is a lot of people have mistaken minimum wage jobs for careers. Because school is hard.

I struggle to find sympathy for grown adults who complain about not being able to make ends meet at their minimum wage no skills required job, but couldn't be bothered to go to school in their late teens or 20's to actually get an education and further themselves. My son went to a 1 year college course for a trade and now makes considerably above minimum wage in his first year, and will have an easy $70K-$100K+ earning potential inside 5-10 years once he gets some experience under his belt.

Sorry, but minimum wage jobs are NOT CAREERS, they are designed to be stepping stones.

If we are going to cross a line between people that bothered to go to school and get an education and people who were too busy partying and "finding themselves" to be bothered with further education, why not just go to $20 instead of $15? Or hell, $30? You can live comfortably off $30/HR, so the cries of "we can't support ourselves" would sure die down, no?

Lol school is a joke now, the vast majority of people that i know who went on to further studies, just end up doing something completely different than what they went to school for but saddled with a lot of student debt. In my experience a bachelors degree is the new high school diploma, the only people who seem to benefit from school are those who go on to grad school, and end up getting employed by these gigantic corporations. Or those that get a STEM degree from university in something practical(engineering, computer science, maybe finance?)

I wouldnt really count trades as 'schooling' in the traditional sense

As far as automation goes, i hear they're coming up with automated trucks, if auto pilot works for airplanes, im sure they will find a suitable alternative for drivers as well.
Just because something is good for the bottom line, doesnt mean its good for society("The needs of many outweigh the needs of a few")

Show me one case where a CEO was put in jail in Canada for any kind of liability, negligence or criminal behavior. These guys screw it up and walk away laughing all the time AND they walk away with a bag-o-loot while the employees get screwed over.

You are making a strawman argument. I simply said that a company director has as much or more liability than a owner/shareholder.

The nuttiness of the left knows now bounds.

So higher minimum wages make robots more attractive (I seem to remember posting something about that around here earlier....) So San Fran wants to ban robots:

https://www.hermancain.com/high-minimum-wages-making-robots-more

Coles:

1. Enact unsustainable legislation.

2. Know that a workaround will present itself, solving the mess you created.

3. Ban the workaround, restoring yourself to unsustainability.

4. Take more from taxpayers.

5. Repeat

Talked to a couple of buddies that are in the mid $20/hr or so....they're over the moon with this decision with increased minimum wage. Exact words "if the lowest guys get the minimum wage bump, that means we also get a bump to make sure we stay. And now we have 3 weeks vacation! yay!" .... Not sure if it'll play out exactly like they expect, but the 3 weeks paid vacation is something I'm cool with (I had that already...4 weeks technically but one is for the Christmas break.

I asked an HR person during an interview that question...if I'm making 15/hr and min to goes to 15, do I get an auto increase? The answer.....NO. So what was a job for 3 and change over minimum is now minimum.

So, the question now is.....does one take a job at 15/hr tomorrow?

The nuttiness of the left knows now bounds.

So higher minimum wages make robots more attractive (I seem to remember posting something about that around here earlier....) So San Fran wants to ban robots:

https://www.hermancain.com/high-minimum-wages-making-robots-more

Coles:

1. Enact unsustainable legislation.

2. Know that a workaround will present itself, solving the mess you created.

3. Ban the workaround, restoring yourself to unsustainability.

4. Take more from taxpayers.

5. Repeat

Lol, you must be living under a rock, automation is coming regardless of what happens to wages, cant stop the future

The bottom line is profit, if it is more profitable to send your job overseas, DONE.
If its profitable to replace you with a robot, DONE.
If it is profitable to cut benefits, DONE.

Lol, you must be living under a rock, automation is coming regardless of what happens to wages, cant stop the future

The bottom line is profit, if it is more profitable to send your job overseas, DONE.

One time cost to ax you. Permanent cost reduction.

LOL, you clearly missed the point about the article/list I posted. Hint: it wasn't about ignoring that automation is coming ;)

You should try it. Become a director at a company that is on the rocks and has outstanding wages to employees that are due. I would suggest that in that case you very quickly resign as Director.........
Lol company goes chapter 11, assets are liquidated to pay off creditors in order of
Banks/lenders, bond holders, if it's a public company then preferred share holders and if anything is left then common share holders.

Ceo gets a golden parachute and a severance package usually

Corporate finance isnt that difficult, most companies especially those that are struggling, trim excess fat and need to borrow capital to pay for day to day operations(including due wages)

Your welcome.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Lol company goes chapter 11, assets are liquidated to pay off creditors in order of
Banks/lenders, bond holders, if it's a public company then preferred share holders and if anything is left then common share holders.

Ceo gets a golden parachute and a severance package usually

Corporate finance isnt that difficult, most companies especially those that are struggling, trim excess fat and need to borrow capital to pay for day to day operations(including due wages)

Your welcome.

Sent from my LG

Well I guess that settles it then.

http://www.mcmillan.ca/Files/127586_Directors and Officers Liability in the Employment Context.pdf

Back
Top Bottom