KTM Super Duke GT | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

KTM Super Duke GT

Wait a minute...so you're saying that people buy bikes because they look cool and the purchaser hopes to somehow become cool as a result? That's quite the revelation! Thanks Captain Obvious.;)

I'm with xlrjoel, it has a face only a mother could love.

That's right: you don't know what I know. :p
Honestly from your posts you don't what you are talking about, you think you do but you really don't.

Anyways... go on

So, really, that more or less epitomises the essence of the appeal factor for buying high horsepower bikes like this one, laden with superfluous electronic rider aids and electronic technologies: a less skilled rider can go faster and be safer, to which I answer, I already go (plenty) fast enough, in fact too fast.

There comes a point when a bike like this simply becomes a track bike, not a real world bike because that's where all the power and electronics pay off...at break neck speeds. Trust me, I have plenty of fun in the real world on bikes with half the power, and no gadgets. Trust me, I go fast enough, *but I am not having a race with anybody* ;), like buyers of these types of bikes are having, either in their minds, or with their pocket books, or with their egos. So yes, you are overcompensating, thinking that riding faster makes your experience, and you as a rider, better, when that riding *must be, in order to put all that power and gadgetry to proper use, wayyyy above the speed limits on public roads*.

These bikes are about egos and overcompensating and little more; like trophy wives that can be purchased off a showroom floor. :D

P.S. I just couldn't help but think of Jorge Lorenzo's recent get off during a "training" session for the next MotoGP race in Japan. I think it's safe to say MotoGP riders are the fastest of the fast with repects to both, rider skills, and bike technologies. He crashed while riding a *mini-bike*. He was training on...*and having fun with*...a mini bike. In fact, this is not unusual for world class racers:when they want to have fun and relax a bit, they ride low tech, low horespower bikes. That kind of blows the belief that you need more power and more electronic aids to have more fun out of the water IMO. World class racers know what I know: it's more fun riding a slow bike fast, than having to ride a fast bike slow. :D

Wow, so adamant about your position. And you think anyone who wants to ride a powerful bike with modern electronic safety and performance features are the ones with insecurity issues:lmao:! Have you ever even test ridden one of these bikes? And have you seen MacDoc's thread about litre bikes? Good thing the market makes bikes for both of us, although its getting harder to find a sport touring bike with carbs & a kick starter so pretty soon you're going to have to adapt.

And if you want to ride faster than me, that's fine. I may try to follow you to learn from your mad skillz and awesome line choices, but I won't try to race you. If you're slower than me. please don't judge me or give me grief just because I pass you. And I won't look down on you just because you don't try to keep up. Live & let live. Btw, my wife is someone who I enjoy riding with, and she with me. Last year after ripping a nice section of sweepers in Slovenia at around 120 - 160 kph, our lead rider asked her what she though. Her response "that was exhilarating!" Probably not a trophy wife in your eyes (neither of us are young enough to be considered "trophies") but definitely a keeper in mine. Someone I want to keep "exhilarated"!

Last edited:
I hope there's a right answer and is revealed soon as I'm a little pressed for time.

Last edited:
I'm with xlrjoel, it has a face only a mother could love.

I used to own a V-Strom, so in comparison, it doesn't look that bad. Then again, I don't spend a lot of time riding past mirrored glass buildings so the look isn't that big a deal to me. Besides if people think it looks ugly, they might be less tempted to steal it, ;)

No it doesn't, you dirty liar
Yea actually it does.
2015 FJRes model, look it up; )
Set it on the fly for 1up, 1up + luggage, 2up or 2up plus luggage.
Then pick sport or touring mode.
Then pick either soft, medium or hard. Then 6 setting to fine tune in either one of those catagories.

That is electronically adjustable suspension. Semi-active suspension will react to individual events like braking or bumps - the suspension can react to a command to alter damping in less than a hundredth of a second. Some semi-active systems won't adjust preload, you have to set that manually beforehand just like any other sportbike. Some will, like BMW's Dynamic ESA.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/semi-active-suspension

Say what you will, I'm all for getting down the road faster and more comfortabler. If you could go, say, 200km/h in a 100km/h zone you'd get where you're going in half the time. Simple mathematics, not even the much vaunted trade math some people employ daily. Electronic suspension is anything but simple. I'm glad somebody's taking this seriously and that sophisticated engineering solutions are on offer. Paradoxically, I feel this is only the beginning. We should be seeing 300-350km/h on rock strewn unmaintained roads in our lifetime. I would consider that a huge win for the human race. Well, not for everybody, some will have to make due with those ox pulled trailers built from the back half of a pick up trucks. But it's still two wheels amirite.

Can you not? I'm excited about mainstream advancements in suspension. We've been rocking telescoping forks for what, 80 years now? Cartridge forks on production bikes for 20? Going by the number of new sport-tourers that still have damping rod forks on the market, if you want simple you can still get it.

I'm a fan.
Rode down the the Gap last week, pushed a button for soft comfy touring on the hwy and then pushed another button to hit up some twisties.
It's like have a bunch of diffrently suspension tuned bikes at your fingertips.
Can't wait to see what they come out with next.....
Oh and the electronic cruise is the cats ass.

I'm a fan.
Rode down the the Gap last week, pushed a button for soft comfy touring on the hwy and then pushed another button to hit up some twisties.
It's like have a bunch of diffrently suspension tuned bikes at your fingertips.
Can't wait to see what they come out with next.....
Oh and the electronic cruise is the cats ***.

Why the 1190 doesn't come with electronic cruise control.... ***** !

About $350 to addon.

and the 1290SA has it.

Why the 1190 doesn't come with electronic cruise control.... ***** !

About $350 to addon.

and the 1290SA has it.

What? No electronic cruise control?
You better drop that POS at my house and run to the bmw dealer. :D

Wow, so adamant about your position. And you think anyone who wants to ride a powerful bike with modern electronic safety and performance features are the ones with insecurity issues:lmao:! Have you ever even test ridden one of these bikes? And have you seen MacDoc's thread about litre bikes? Good thing the market makes bikes for both of us, although its getting harder to find a sport touring bike with carbs & a kick starter so pretty soon you're going to have to adapt.

And if you want to ride faster than me, that's fine. I may try to follow you to learn from your mad skillz and awesome line choices, but I won't try to race you. If you're slower than me. please don't judge me or give me grief just because I pass you. And I won't look down on you just because you don't try to keep up. Live & let live. Btw, my wife is someone who I enjoy riding with, and she with me. Last year after ripping a nice section of sweepers in Slovenia at around 120 - 160 kph, our lead rider asked her what she though. Her response "that was exhilarating!" Probably not a trophy wife in your eyes (neither of us are young enough to be considered "trophies") but definitely a keeper in mine. Someone I want to keep "exhilarated"!

Either you really didn't read what I wrote, or you truly miss the points. I never said anything other than I am a moderate rider with moderate skills on a low tech/low horse power bike, who goes fast enough on public roads, and realises huge power numbers and high tech rider aids, are superfluous.

I, personally, really don't need 180 hp, and e-suspension, or traction control, or power mapping or abs etc and yadda, to ride swervy roads at 120-160 kms an hour to experience exhilarating, *to me* not you, rides. I was doing that right here in Canada and the US not too long ago, and have had numerous rides like that for over 20 years and can tell you that type of riding really is no big deal skills wise, and one really doesn't need high horsepower/high gadget level bikes to do it, so why do you think that is a big deal? If you really want to have a pissing contest, I've done 135 *MILES* an hour, that's 250 km/h with my ex-wife on the back, 13 years ago. 145 hp, no, zero, notta electronic aid.

So if you need to pass me when I'm already going fast enough, to show me what a great rider you are, and how cool your bike is, you will be taking a very big risk of not only personal injury to yourself and others, but also, there could be a Doppler radar patrol car waiting for you just down the road. If so, have fun convincing the officer that you are exempt from the laws of the land because of the high technology on your bike. Unlikely he drank the same kool aid you did. Neither did I.

Last edited:
Honestly from your posts you don't what you are talking about, you think you do but you really don't.

Anyways... go on

Please enlighten me as opposed to these lame posts about how you know what you're talking about, and I don't.

Please explain yourself as to why high horsepower bikes with high technology, are better in the real world, at reasonably fast speeds...oh yeah, you can't, because they aren't. They only excel at high risk speeds, better suited for the track.

Some people will always be fascinated with space travel while others like their feet on the ground. The fascination with over the top anything (hey my paint job has 20 clear coats!) is bewildering.
Where you draw the line on speed and handling technology could be open for debate but since speed limits don't go up but penalties and insurance sure do, how can one make the logical debate for hyperbike style adventure bikes? There's got to be more to it than "because I can"?

Last edited:
What? No electronic cruise control?
You better drop that POS at my house and run to the bmw dealer. :D

Haaaaaa.....:lmao:

I'm ordering a cruise control from Santa Claus.

I mean "asking" ... ;)

Please enlighten me as opposed to these lame posts about how you know what you're talking about, and I don't.

Please explain yourself as to why high horsepower bikes with high technology, are better in the real world, at reasonably fast speeds...oh yeah, you can't, because they aren't. They only excel at high risk speeds, better suited for the track.
1-) Traction control allows you to come out of a corner with the throttle pinned, so instead of coming out of a slow corner at 80km/hr you can come out at 110 km/hr making it a lot more fun and still within reasonable speed. Have you ever experienced full throttle out of a corner with traction control? I assume you haven't from what you have been posting so hence why I say you don't know.

2-) Torque - I currently have a very powerful (torque vs weight ratio) bike (FZ09) and a also powerful liter race bike, i some cases I have more fun at low speeds on the my street bike than at the track with the race bike. If you read this comment and don't understand why without me having to spell it out just means you haven't experienced so hence why i say you don't know.

3-) Suspension - Do I really have to say why a suspension will help you have a more enjoyable ride even at low speed?

etc etc etc. anyways you have fun out there, that is all it matters. No one is yet to change anyone's opinion on the internet by arguing, only people that go out and experience what they were arguing against will maybe change their mind like Macdoc.

Last edited:
Either you really didn't read what I wrote, or you truly miss the points. I never said anything other than I am a moderate rider with moderate skills on a low tech/low horse power bike, who goes fast enough on public roads, and realises huge power numbers and high tech rider aids, are superfluous.

I, personally, really don't need 180 hp, and e-suspension, or traction control, or power mapping or abs etc and yadda, to ride swervy roads at 120-160 kms an hour to experience exhilarating, *to me* not you, rides. I was doing that right here in Canada and the US not too long ago, and have had numerous rides like that for over 20 years and can tell you that type of riding really is no big deal skills wise, and one really doesn't need high horsepower/high gadget level bikes to do it, so why do you think that is a big deal? If you really want to have a pissing contest, I've done 135 *MILES* an hour, that's 250 km/h with my ex-wife on the back, 13 years ago. 145 hp, no, zero, notta electronic aid.

So if you need to pass me when I'm already going fast enough, to show me what a great rider you are, and how cool your bike is, you will be taking a very big risk of not only personal injury to yourself and others, but also, there could be a Doppler radar patrol car waiting for you just down the road. If so, have fun convincing the officer that you are exempt from the laws of the land because of the high technology on your bike. Unlikely he drank the same kool aid you did. Neither did I.

No, I do understand your point. You think powerful bikes and high tech rider aids, are superfluous, and anyone who rides or even is interested in riding them are posers who are clearly compensating for other inadequacies, or suckers for the marketing Kool Aid. But since you didn't answer my question about having tried one, I'll assume that you've come this opinion without actually experiencing what the rest of us are talking about.

Did you read the link in post 28 to Sport Riders' description of how semi-active suspension works? Read it and still tell me you don't think that will improve the ride quality and handling, especially on our crappy roads. I test rode the XR this summer and can tell you the difference is noticeable. Whether its worth the extra cash, only you can decide. But if I want it and you don't, that shouldn't make me a lesser person.

Does your bike have adjustable preload and compression and rebound dampening? If so, try getting it set up by someone who knows what they are doing (try John at Accelerated Technologies). When its set up for your weight and riding preferences, you will notice improved feedback, tracking and handling in the corners. But until you experience the difference, you'll think you setup is just fine, thank you very much.

Until then, I'll be waiting for your eating crow thread. But don't worry, I won't be holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom